Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is it getting close to considering a boycott of a home game?

Those of us of a certain age will well remember when Voice of the Valley was first published, and Charlton were marooned at Sellout with little likelihood of returning home anytime soon, Rick Everitt called for a boycott of a home game against Oxford (I think) and suggested fans should instead gather at the Valley.

The suggestion met with the inevitable response from certain quarters - we need to support the team blah, blah, blah. Real supporters would never suggest such a thing etc. Same as it would now. But honestly things can't go on like they are for much longer.

Last night, my son told me he couldn't go today as he had something else urgent he had to do. As I looked out of the window this morning, I just thought "s*d it, I can't be bothered either" and I didn't go. That is so unlike me - indeed, it's the first time since the end of the Pardew era that I have missed a home league game that I could have gone to. I guess the RD regime has just made me fall out of love (temporarily I hope) with the club. This man has in only just over a year ripped the heart out of this club by replacing players who seemingly cared for the club with a bunch of foreign imports who either don't want to be here or are simply passing through whilst sacking managers with a touch of class like Powell and Riga and now appointing a puppet in Luzon. And when his sidekick Katrien Meire said in the Evening Standard that we simply had to accept what RD wanted, that was the time I thought enough was enough.

So what are we going to do about it? Are we just going to moan on here and other social media sites? Not re-new our season tickets? (Not a hope in hell of me renewing mine unless there is a remarkable change in the next couple of months). Or should we do something more significant? From what we have seen and heard from our Belgian friends, RD is not a man to back down in the face of threats. But most rich men do take notice when they start to get hit in the pocket.

So should we test the water for a boycott of a home match? Not saying we should but it is going to take something like this to get RD and KM to listen to us and realise that we are completely fed up with second rate players from RD's network being foistered on us and that we really do want our Charlton back.

Comments

• Options
    No, turn up for the rest of the season and show your anger towards the owner (via his broadband link) and the Cherie Lunghi of an CEO that we are fed up of the idiots that are running are our football club to the ground.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    The weird thing is, I feel like a 'boycott' out of apathy would be more effective than an angry one. We've seen how the protests over in Liege has done absolutely nothing to change Roland's mind.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    To be honest I actually don't think Roly would take any notice anyway.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    milne said:

A boycott is a way of protesting I agree. However. I wonder if the football for A fiver offers a more tangible way of protesting. It's gonna be full. SCP is returning. Surely this is an opportunity to articulate dissatisfaction with the board etc.

I agree. £5 for a lower west seat to support Powell and get access to Directors Box verbally good value.

Boycott, which all true fans would do for the future of the club, for a future match.
  • Options
    Looked like there was a boycott today. Lose at Boro and there wil be more Narwich at The Valley Tuesday week than home fans.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I must admit I looked out of the window and didn't fancy it it was only my son saying iv been looking forward to going that made me go.i dont think iv lost the love for Charlton but I think iv lost the hunger for it its all getting to much wasting money on diesel food etc all to watch a team that are so poor week in week out
  • Options
    Like most of us I'm not happy with our performance.
    I can't bring myself to boycott a home game, though. Not fair on the players who do put in a shift and try hard.

Something has gone wrong behind the scenes. We are unlikely to be privy to what that is. But I firmly believe we should be turning up.

For me protests need to be constructive - if Roland is going to listen might he be more inclined to something positive rather then negative?
  • Options

I must obviously not be a proper fan because I will not go again until the Belgian's are gone. I have been a fan for fifty three years go to U18 and U21 games. Was a shareholder, VIP and Valley Gold member and Season Ticket holder. If you want to know how I feel read Steve Dixon's article in VOTV. What is the point in going to something that I get no pleasure from. I was just going because of a sense of duty. I feel that the only way I can protest at what is happening is to withdraw my custom.
    It really gives me no pleasure. I miss the trips away and my days at the Valley, but I will not change until the owners start to listen to the fans.

Good post. The part about there being no pleasure in going? That hits the nail on the head for me.
  • Options
    It's only a game remember
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

C4FC4L1f3 said:

I will never boycott! I support Charlton Athletic Football CLUB!! and i voice my concerns in the Valley! if i feel inclined i may do it outside the main reception!

I must obviously not be a proper fan because I will not go again until the Belgian's are gone. I have been a fan for fifty three years go to U18 and U21 games. Was a shareholder, VIP and Valley Gold member and Season Ticket holder. If you want to know how I feel read Steve Dixon's article in VOTV. What is the point in going to something that I get no pleasure from. I was just going because of a sense of duty. I feel that the only way I can protest at what is happening is to withdraw my custom.
    It really gives me no pleasure. I miss the trips away and my days at the Valley, but I will not change until the owners start to listen to the fans.

I have liked button with a tear in me eye
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Anyone who boycotts is not true fan. End of!

Currently boycotting, not giving Roland my money.
    Plus home games are so boring. Except from Cardiff second half, this season matches have been poor.

Looking forward to Cardiff though.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

kentred2 said:

milne said:

A boycott is a way of protesting I agree. However. I wonder if the football for A fiver offers a more tangible way of protesting. It's gonna be full. SCP is returning. Surely this is an opportunity to articulate dissatisfaction with the board etc.

I agree. £5 for a lower west seat to support Powell and get access to Directors Box verbally good value.
    You are going to that game with the sole intention of supporting Powell and shouting at our Directors?

Top work.

Thank you
  • Options

I have been a season ticket holder since 1985 but have only been to one home game in 3 months

It's not cos the team are rubbish because I have been there and done that (still not over 0-2 v Dagenham)

It's just that I don't like the club anymore, the owners, most of the players and the depressing realisation that the 5/6 hours out of my day on a Saturday could be better spent doing something else more exciting, like putting the bins out

The whole support them through thick and thin has finally beat me.

Will go to Millwall though :)

This.
    No connection at all with this club.

2-1 Dagenham, Noubles only goal for us.

• Options

I have been a season ticket holder since 1985 but have only been to one home game in 3 months

It's not cos the team are rubbish because I have been there and done that (still not over 0-2 v Dagenham)

It's just that I don't like the club anymore, the owners, most of the players and the depressing realisation that the 5/6 hours out of my day on a Saturday could be better spent doing something else more exciting, like putting the bins out

The whole support them through thick and thin has finally beat me.

Will go to Millwall though :)

Bang on mate
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

C4FC4L1f3 said:

I will never boycott! I support Charlton Athletic Football CLUB!! and i voice my concerns in the Valley! if i feel inclined i may do it outside the main reception!

Well cutting off your nose to spite your face will have absolutely no affect on what the owner does i'm afraid. He really doesn't care what you or any fans do , just ask the Standard Liege fans. I suspect if you are staying away until things change you may well have seen your last game at The Valley which is very sad.
  • Options
    I feel sad to say it but I kind of agree with this post, I was looking around the quiet North Stand today during the game at various times, everyone was chatting away with their friends not watching the game, but rather taking the mickey out of the team and the the club, it was just a comedy. Remember after 71 minutes there were chants of 'Roland make a sub' and 'you don't know what you're doing', for a new manager, he and the team are bearing the fans frustrations (unfairly). There is clearly no connection from the fans to the club, you could hear the players at times today, i've never in my life witnessed such apathy at The Valley, it was surreal. I fear for the club, it's not ours anymore and it's clear after today I 'm not the only one feeling detached. I've always believed that our fans as one will beat anyone to protect our club, it may require us to do it again?
  • Options
    We have to learn to speak Roland's language.

How about we all print out spreadsheets and then rip them up outside reception? Hit him where it hurts.

I have an old copy of MS Excel in an original box. I'll slip the floppy out, no one has to know, then I'll burn the box, right there when Katrien comes out after the Huddersfield match.

Can you imagine the symbolism of such an act!!!