Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The irony of the RUFC handball appeals today

edited January 2015 in General Charlton
Rotherham fans went berserk with their hand ball claim (after which there was some top banter from the CAFC fans in my vicinity in East Stand A).

The irony is that I was talking to the guy next to me before the game about how, when driving down from Ipswich today, I recalled the Rotherham game at The Valley many years ago when Charlton won 2-0 and 'Our 'arry', Harry Gregory, scored with his hand - the crowd could see it but the Ref didn't, fortunately and the goal stood.

I was a very young man then but even today, handball decisions can change a game.

How The Valley has changed since those days.

The pic attached was taken today.

Comments

• Options
    Yeah, empty
  • Options
    I'm in the lower west and it looked like a handball to me; but then so did the big appeal that we had about ten minutes later - the ref bottled them both and didn't really make a decision all day. Evans and co can whinge about the one they didn't get but they don't mention the Charlton call do they?!?
  • Options
    It's what Evans and his pals do. Check any press conference after any game they didn't win.
  • Options
    I thought both ours and theirs were good penalty shouts. I don't agree that there ref bottled it though. If he didn't see it he can't give it. I think it's fair to question his positioning or his eyesight, but not his courage. It takes more guts to turn down an appeal like that than to give the decision.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

I'm in the lower west and it looked like a handball to me; but then so did the big appeal that we had about ten minutes later - the ref bottled them both and didn't really make a decision all day. Evans and co can whinge about the one they didn't get but they don't mention the Charlton call do they?!?

Same as any other manager, they always remember the calls that go against them but never mention the ones in their favour.