Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Steve Davis

The Snooker World Championship is always a lesser thing for me once the Golden Nugget is out.
Sadly he went out in the first round this year to the one with the funny eyebrows.

Steve Davis to me is what being a top sportsman is all about: Professionalism, Integrity, Honesty, Humility and an unnerving desire to succeed.
I think Steve Davis is a gentleman and I am honoured to have witnessed his years as a champion.
And yes, I do consider Snooker a sport.

Comments

• Oh god, I feel another 100+ post thread coming on, debating whether or not snooker is a sport....
  • Not compared to Darts it ain't
  • Steve Davis, now there is a legend. Cant believe he is playing at the top level. I make you right chirps dude
  • edited April 2007
    I'm with you on this re Steve Davis- at the top of his game he was virtually unrivalled

Whether it's a sport, i am not sure.

Sport doesn't mean you have to sweat but if it is a sport then surely so is Darts and i find that hard to believe.

Maybe a 100 post thread could pursuade me?
  • Archery, Shooting in all its guises, Bowls, Angling to name a few. Are they sports?

They are not physically taxing but mentally at the top level they certainly are and I would place both Darts and Snooker in the same category.

As for Steve Davis he was unlucky the white went in off to send him out 10-9. Charlton fan as a boy and born in St Nicks Plumstead like all the best people:-)

Top man.
  • Snooker is not a sport.
  • Much as I hate to agree with DJ Davey Chirps Steve "soul boy" Davies is OK and snooker is a sport. And I went to School with them (Chirps and Steve that is)

Archery is a great, traditional English sport and is taxing both mentally and physically. I'm going to take it up again summer after next.
  • edited April 2007
    i was always an Alex "Hurricane" Higgins fan

and Canada produced the greatest ever snooker player boozer in Bill Werbenuik

_39684091_billwerb203.jpg

Bill Werbeniuk (January 14, 1947 - January 20, 2003) was a Canadian professional snooker player. Instantly recognised for his girth, he was known as Big Bill, .

Werbeniuk was noted for the copious amounts of alcohol he consumed before and during matches. He said that he generally drank around six pints of lager before a match and then one pint for each frame. He said he did this to counteract essential tremor. Later in his career he also took propranolol, a beta blocker; some sources claim he took it for the tremor, while others say he took it to cope with the effects of his enormous alcohol consumption on his heart.

A memorable incident occurred during a televised World Championship Match against Dennis Taylor at the Crucible. Werbeniuk attempted to stretch across the table, but due to his size was having some difficulty. Eventually, the inevitable happened and he broke wind loudly. With the audience, referee and Taylor trying to hold in their laughter, Werbeniuk got off the table, turned to the audience and said: "Who did that?"

Werbeniuk was ranked as high as eighth in the world in 1983 and reached the quarter finals of the world championship four times before propranolol was banned in snooker competition. He played his last professional match in 1990. A bankruptcy order was made against him in 1991. Towards the end of his life, he played professional pool.
  • Yes I'm with you there, which brings me onto another pet hate of mine - Sportsman of the Year awards, why is it non-achieving footballers (internationally) always win something whereas the like of Steve Davis or Carl Fogarty (absolute fookin amazing record) never got a look-in, even though he won consecutive world championships in '94/'95 and then '98/'99.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]i was always an Alex "Hurricane" Higgins fan.

IMHO the greatest!

Anyone see that documentary on him a couple of years back? The state of him reduced me to tears.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2007
    [cite]Posted By: WasCharleyOne[/cite]Yes I'm with you there, which brings me onto another pet hate of mine - Sportsman of the Year awards, why is it non-achieving footballers (internationally) always win something whereas the like of Steve Davis or Carl Fogarty (absolute fookin amazing record) never got a look-in, even though he won consecutive world championships in '94/'95 and then '98/'99.

I think Steve did win it once at least(1988). However the likes of Tony McCoy, Phil Taylor, Colin McCrae and Fogarty just don't get a look in.
  • [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WasCharleyOne[/cite]Yes I'm with you there, which brings me onto another pet hate of mine - Sportsman of the Year awards, why is it non-achieving footballers (internationally) always win something whereas the like of Steve Davis or Carl Fogarty (absolute fookin amazing record) never got a look-in, even though he won consecutive world championships in '94/'95 and then '98/'99.

I think Steve did win it once at least(1988). However the likes of Tony McCoy, Phil Taylor, Colin McCrae and Fogarty just don't get a look in.

Good shout on all those.
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdkJeQi0flM
  • What about Chess?
  • [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]
    and Canada produced the greatest ever[strike]snooker player[/strike]boozer in Bill Werbenuik
    He probably started drinking lots when in Worksop. Living there is enough to drive anyone to drink. The whole town is a dump.