Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

77 Brigade / ministry of truth

Anyone else feel like there's a bit of Winston Smith 1984 about this thing?

Watched the news this morning regarding it and it just made me feel like that's exactly what it would be in reality.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31070114

Comments

• The MoD have already bought in the special computer equipment they'll be using. The specifications were bespoke and every machine is costing £500,000.

• Lets see how soon one of them gets lost with confidential information on it.
  • God bless the Chindits!

Oft forgotten part of WW2.
  • Thought that the MOD were already doing this type of work with there work at Caversham/BBC. Ironically in 2011 the Cabinet office through the various goverment departments cut £11 million..... "Reported on BBC News (17 January 2011), BBC Monitoring cut 72 posts following a £3 million cut in funding over the next two years. Director of BBC Monitoring, Chris Westcott, said: "Regrettably service cuts and post closures are inevitable given the scale of the cut in funding."

Although the 'current' work will focus on social media I understand this is about intelligence gathering.

Seems as though the army/forces have finally accepted that it is not 'just boots on the ground', although the last world war you would have thought that lesson would have been learnt.

Although there has been alarm at the Russian 'antics' over the past few months, the main focus of concern may well be on certain asian countries...... where the IT industry is rapidly becoming a main hub.

After the next election I think we will all have our emails and phone calls intercepted. That of course presupposses some of us do not already have that happening today?...... or is that just the job of the sun.
  • I thought this thread was going to be about a punk tribute band.
  • I thought this thread was going to be about a punk tribute band.

So did I!
  • Thought that the MOD were already doing this type of work with there work at Caversham/BBC. Ironically in 2011 the Cabinet office through the various goverment departments cut £11 million..... "Reported on BBC News (17 January 2011), BBC Monitoring cut 72 posts following a £3 million cut in funding over the next two years. Director of BBC Monitoring, Chris Westcott, said: "Regrettably service cuts and post closures are inevitable given the scale of the cut in funding."

Although the 'current' work will focus on social media I understand this is about intelligence gathering.

Seems as though the army/forces have finally accepted that it is not 'just boots on the ground', although the last world war you would have thought that lesson would have been learnt.

Although there has been alarm at the Russian 'antics' over the past few months, the main focus of concern may well be on certain asian countries...... where the IT industry is rapidly becoming a main hub.

After the next election I think we will all have our emails and phone calls intercepted. That of course presupposses some of us do not already have that happening today?...... or is that just the job of the sun.

We (oops they! - I must let go!) have been doing this kind of work for a long time Ken and the forces recognised many years ago that it isn't just about troops on the ground. I was involved in intelligence gathering work in Germany in the late 80s and the Middle-East in the 90s and 2000s. This new 'set up' will focus on psychological operations as opposed to intelligence gathering, as detailed today on the news. The intent will be to bombard social media (very watered down explanation) in an effort to influence 'hearts and minds' and transform mindset. It's a real tough 'gig' but the only way to drive longterm change is to de-stabilise extremist values and beliefs. When I did this sort of work in the Middle-East I was amazed just how (religious but non-extremist) belief can dictate/influence someone's life so much. You then begin to realise just what you are up against when it comes to the mindset of the extremist.