Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bournemouth v Watford

124»

Comments

• Well spotted Newbie, Eddie Howe is the man who spots the journeyman footballers, Charlie Daniels is another one.
  • I'm sorry but just how on earth is Francis getting game time each week at the team at the top of the Champ. It has to give us hope.

It's a sad indictment of charlton that Harry Arter and Simon Francis had to leave to show they were good championship players.

Francis was so bad in his last match against Preston for CAFC he was hooked at h/t. he go's to an attacking team and he the star wing back in the division.
    You work it out.

Harry was never given a chance at CAFC, but even if it took him longer to mature,
    should not good coaches spot this?

Eddie Howe did.

The alternatives to Francis, though, were Jenkinson and Solly.
  • I'm sorry but just how on earth is Francis getting game time each week at the team at the top of the Champ. It has to give us hope.

It's a sad indictment of charlton that Harry Arter and Simon Francis had to leave to show they were good championship players.

Francis was so bad in his last match against Preston for CAFC he was hooked at h/t. he go's to an attacking team and he the star wing back in the division.
    You work it out.

Harry was never given a chance at CAFC, but even if it took him longer to mature,

Eddie Howe did.

Our fans destroyed Francis whose confidence evaporated during his time at Charlton. The constant heckling obviously got to him and I'm glad he got his career back on track.
    Obviously a much better player than most realised.

Still p***es me off seeing Yann play for another team!
  • Oh no not Yann again. Can I just say that I have never got over Billy Bonds leaving us. I think we should move on from saying move on.

You work it out.

Eddie Howe did.

That was serendipity at its best.

Francis having great career at Bournemouth
    Solly having great career at CAFC (don't mention the knees)
    Jenkinson having great time at West ham.

My point was we didn't get the best out of him, he needed to play in an attacking
    team who get players in the box to get on the end of his crosses,has the most assists in champ for last 2 seasons by a wing back.

Wiggins could do a similar job for us if we played that way

• Wonder if Roland noticed the common denominator for the players of the leading club in the Championship:

31 Boruc - Polish
    02 Francis - English
    05 Elphick - English
    03 Cook - English
    11 Daniels - English
    30 Ritchie - English
    06 Surman - English
    08 Arter - Irish (Born in Sidcup)
    07 Pugh - English
    13 Wilson - English
    18 Kermorgant - French

Substitutes

01 Camp - Irish (Born in Derby and played for England U21's)
    10 Pitman - English
    15 Smith - English
    19 Stanislas - English
    20 Fraser - Scottish
    22 Ward - English
    32 O'Kane - Irish

Manager

Howe - English

Just in case he hasn't, that's 16 of the 18 are from the UK as is the Manager and of the two that aren't, one used to play for us.

And every single one of them had a background in English football before they signed for Bournemouth.

And a lot of those English players will be earning a comparative fortune at Bournemouth. Plus Eddie Howe left Burnley for double his wages. Bournemouth are already at an approx £8m loss for this season (an FFP threshold?)

On the playing front, it is clear that Bournemouth have been well-managed. A lot of their players would have been classed as distinctly average by many observers but the key was paying the big money to get Eddie Howe back from Burnley. He's been their best signing because he's found a system that suits his players and he's spent the owner's money skillfully. Their small stadium is packed every week and even though the pitch is superb, not many teams look forward to going there.

Bottom line is, it depends how much money your owner is prepared to throw at it and then using the money wisely. The Russian has spent a lot of money at Bournemouth and would like to spend more. If allowed by FFP, he has the means to buy a whole new Premiership squad if he wants to.
  • Comparing the decisions made for the very poor tackle our guy put in at the end which got nothing bar a free kick and to the red card for Angella (annoyingly our best defender which was a double blow) in that opening seconds just comes up why we get so frustrated with refs.

This was a Premier league official too..the penalty was right in all fairness.We had the same issue at Norwich - red card early on and lost.

Just sums up our season generally - either winning well or losing "badly"/in iffy circumstances.

I would say Bournemouth did batter us at the Vic and only got a point so they'll probably just say "so what"
  • It's just so remarkable that little Bournemouth with a team of unknowns are at the top of the table .. and pretty much deservedly so

They're not a team of unknowns though, they spent a lot of money on that team
  • I'll move on from Yann when we've got a striker who can match his ability, determination and passion. Refused to play for us yadda yadda yadda - He's one of my favourite Charlton players ever, and the glaring lack of a replacement for a year makes it all the more difficult to take him playing for another team in our league, when in my opinion it could and should have been simple enough to keep him.

Football fandom is built on watching heroes, something that RD seems to struggle appreciating with his revolving door of inadequate liege failures.

Mangina and proud
  • Everyone seems to keep forgetting the money they got from the Lallana deal, which has helped them out so much