Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FIFA presidential election.

Figo, how far will star power go?
For me anyone but Blatter or Prince Ali.
Still an interesting candidate to join the nominees.
Portugal legend Luis Figo is the latest shock candidate to run for FIFA presidency.
The former Real Madrid and Barcelona star says that he is determined to change an organisation that he says is too often associated with "scandal".
As a result, he is hoping to stand against Sepp Blatter for the role in the upcoming elections - and it is thought he has secured the required backing of five FIFA member associations.
The 42-year-old would become the most recognisable football face to challenge Blatter, after his distinguished 20-year playing career, and represents a serious blow to the Swiss' 17-year hold on the game's top job.
The two-time world player of the year reveled that he cared about the game and wanted to change the worldwide perception of FIFA, which he believes is marred in controversy at the moment.
Speaking to CNN, he said: "I care about football, so what I'm seeing regarding the image of FIFA - not only now but in the past years - I don't like it.
"If you search FIFA on the internet you see the first word that comes out: scandal - not positive words. It's that we have to change first and try to improve the image of FIFA. Football deserves much better than this.
"I've been talking with so many important people in football - players, managers, president of federations - and they all think that something has to be done.
"Last year was the World Cup, I was in Brazil and I saw the reaction of all the fans regarding the image of FIFA and I think something has to be changed.
"Change in leadership, governance, transparency and solidarity, so I think it's the moment for that."
Figo will run against David Ginola, Jerome Champagne, Prince Ali of Jordan and Dutch FA president Michael van Praag alongside controversial figure Blatter.
He did not name who his five nominees were, but indicated he had them ahead of Thursday's deadline with the elections set to take place in May.
Figo admitted that the non-publication of Michael Garcia's report into the award of the World Cup's in 2018 and 2022 to Russia and Qatar was the final straw.

Comments

• Apparently the English FA are backing Prince Ali...
  • When Blatter's gone it will all come out and we will be amazed at how he wasn't stopped years ago. He's as dodgy as Jimmy Saville.
  • edited January 2015
    Got to be ANYONE but Blatter.

His cupboards must be ENORMOUS for all those skeletons inside !

• Not to mention his paper recycle bin with all those empty brown envelopes (allegedly)
  • edited January 2015
    Problem is there are too many candidates and the anti Blatter vote may be split. Figo has half a chance, as does Ali. ginola is a piss take and I don't know who the other guy is.
  • edited January 2015
    I would love a change, but Blatter is a cunning fox and will take some unseating, perhaps they should impose a limit on the number of terms you can serve, or a set retirement age.
    And to think Blatter was supposed to be the good guy after all the questionable years under Havolange. I suppose power corrupts....
  • Despite Prince Ali's presence, Blatter will have most of the African and Asian nations sewn up already. That, along with a smattering of support from certain European and American nations, will be enough to secure him another few years in office.

Sepp Blatter, the Robert Mugabe of sport.
  • This will dilute the vote and Blatter will stay in.

They should've rallied behind a single opposition candidate.

Sadly I think you are right.
  • Despite Prince Ali's presence, Blatter will have most of the African and Asian nations sewn up already. That, along with a smattering of support from certain European and American nations, will be enough to secure him another few years in office.

Sepp Blatter, the Robert Mugabe of sport.

Funny you should say that...newsthump.com/2015/01/29/robert-mugabe-to-run-for-fifa-presidency/

• Sponsored links:

• I've got a feeling that these a bogus nominees, have a feeling that they've mainly been entered into the running so that when Blatter wins once more he can then turn round and "prove" he's the honest man, that the rest of FIFA trust him and so should the rest of Football.

The FIFA Presidency should definitely be for a maximum number of terms though, we've had one man in for so long that it feels other Sports have over-taken Football in terms of ideas, get a new man in to freshen it up if anything
  • Figo is the image of 'Pierre' who got shot in the latest edition of 'Spiral' .. I hope that that is not a bad omen .. I agree with @ForeverAddickted .. all bogus candidates to ensure Blatter is re-elected
  • Blatter even only against one candidate would not have gone, he has bought each send every person that needs to be bought

The Cia the fbi are the only ones who can bring him down and they are dawdling for a reason
  • Makes you wish there was a Monster Raving Looney candidate to vote for... Oh!
  • If Blatter wins Uefa and South Americans should walk.
    A just European and South American cup would be way more interesting anyway.
  • I was reading earlier (may have even been on here) that this election is going to be won by Blatter no matter what, but it will reveal his weaknesses and there is hope that a credible candidate could oust him in the following election.
  • "Sepp Blatter and rival candidates pass electoral integrity checks" -which tells us all we need to know about the usefulness of those checks!
  • #Roly4Pres
  • Rizzo said:

"Sepp Blatter and rival candidates cash electoral integrity cheques" -which tells us all we need to know about the usefulness of those checks!

Fixed
  • Sponsored links:

• See that Blatter has most probably been at work again manoeuvring himself into a better position.
    Wouldn't be surprised if van Praag is a little wealthier this week and was told to say he would be supporting the Jordanian candidate.
    Blatter knows what he does and does what he knows...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32826308