Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Leyton Orient keeper, Ron Willis played for Charlton v QPR in 1968.

Good to see you jumping hurdles at The Valley, Len ....... you looked a lot younger back then.

• Pat Jennings might regret his picture in there.
  • Cheers Len.

Some great picss of some great players.

I wonder what sort of money Jimmy Greaves would earn today?
  • That one of the Millwall players in the kiddies playground don't look too clever....

• Jumping appears popular in the past. Arsenal, Charlton and QPR jumped over equipment, whereas West Ham, Orient and Southend just jumped. These training techniques appear to have not reached the North at that point in time as the teams North of London just ran.
  • In the second "Charlton " photo I recognise Keith Peacock and Charliw Wright. Can someone remind me who the other two are.
  • benno44 said:

In the second "Charlton " photo I recognise Keith Peacock and Charliw Wright. Can someone remind me who the other two are.

Very tentatively I am going to say John Snedden and Cliff Myers.
  • Look at the size of the open end(South Stand) in that 1st pic.
  • edited January 2015
    LenGlover said:

benno44 said:

In the second "Charlton " photo I recognise Keith Peacock and Charliw Wright. Can someone remind me who the other two are.

Len, I reckon the player second from the right is Mike Rose and at the end on the left is Colin Appleton?, can't be certain though.
  • Great pictures. Typical West Ham though, muscling in on someone else's manor.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2015
    RedChaser said:

LenGlover said:

benno44 said:

Len, I reckon the player second from the right is Mike Rose and at the end on the left is Colin Appleton?, can't be certain though.
    Yep, make you right there, Mike Rose and Colin Appleton.

Great shirts them with the flash on the shoulders.

The Millwall picture is taken at the ground near Cliftons Roundabout just by the Dutch House I believe, they trained there before they moved to the training ground in New Eltham behind Sparrows Lane.

I don't think Jimmy Greaves managed to get that ball out of his bottom :-)

• E-cafc said:

Look at the size of the open end(South Stand) in that 1st pic.

Any idea how big it was? I wonder why it never gets mentioned when people talk about large ends like Holte, South Bank, Kop, etc. I guess it's because the home end was the other side?
  • edited January 2015

E-cafc said:

Any idea how big it was? I wonder why it never gets mentioned when people talk about large ends like Holte, South Bank, Kop, etc. I guess it's because the home end was the other side?
    If you can imagine the lower section of the terrace which is now the back row of the Jimmy Seed stand, the terrace was at least as much again going up and then then linking round with the East terrace in a bowl. The top section and the land was sold off where the flats now are.

There was no such thing really as home and away ends in days gone by everybody was mixed in all around the ground although the Covered End did attract the hardcore home support from when I started going in the late 50s. It's hard to believe but as a teenager there would be both sets of fans in the covered end split down the middle by a dozen or so old bill. A cup game v Sheffield United 3rd Rd Jan 1967 lost 0-1 springs to mind when things got a bit lively in there :wink:
  • RedChaser said:

LenGlover said:

benno44 said:

I would guess that the one nearest the camera is Peter Burridge who had just come over from Palace. The other three are definitely Peacock, Rose and Wright........

• edited January 2015
    Mike Rose the goalkeeper is the one I took as Myers and yes "Snedden" could well be Burridge because they were the two names that came to mind but I plumped for Snedden.

I remember Appleton as having bigger ears than Franny Jeffers so I don't think he is there.
  • edited January 2015
    LenGlover said:

Mike Rose the goalkeeper is the one I took as Myers and yes "Snedden" could well be Burridge because they were the two names that came to mind but I plumped for Snedden.

I remember Appleton as having bigger ears than Franny Jeffers so I don't think he is there.

Agreed Len it's not Appleton on reflection.
  • Just googled Burridge and it looks as if it is him.....yes Appleton had the ears and longer hair.....I'd forgotten that we had Burridge for a while......he fell out with Palace and we got him on a free I think.
  • LenGlover said:

Yes Len, you are right about Appleton's ears. It must be Burridge then.

• RobRob
    edited January 2015
    RedChaser said:

E-cafc said:

If you can imagine the lower section of the terrace which is now the back row of the Jimmy Seed stand, the terrace was at least as much again going up and then then linking round with the East terrace in a bowl. The top section and the land was sold off where the flats now are.

There was no such thing really as home and away ends in days gone by everybody was mixed in all around the ground although the Covered End did attract the hardcore home support from when I started going in the late 50s. It's hard to believe but as a teenager there would be both sets of fans in the covered end split down the middle by a dozen or so old bill. A cup game v Sheffield United 3rd Rd Jan 1967 lost 0-1 springs to mind when things got a bit lively in there :wink:
    I was there. Only a relative nipper so right at the front clinging on to the perimeter fence. I remember having tears in my eyes as we lost to a 1st Division side.
  • I didn't know Steve Gritt & Robbie williams played in the same team...........

• Sponsored links:

• edited January 2015
    Rob said:

RedChaser said:

E-cafc said:

I was there. Only a relative nipper so right at the front clinging on to the perimeter fence. I remember having tears in my eyes as we lost to a 1st Division side.
    Yes, the Blades were a good side in those days with Alan Woodward, powerful shot on him up there with the likes of Lorimer and Alan Hodgkinson England goalie.
  • E-cafc said:

When I started going it had already been reduced in size but looking at that photo it must have had a capacity of around 20,000 I should think. The East terrace in it's pomp had a capacity of around 44,000 according to some records.