Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    It's so sad when the filthy rich get caught trying to get away with avoiding tax.

I'm sure he was badly advised, but it's just greedy.
  • Options
    What a melon headed wanchor
  • Options
    cafctom said:

"Snatch of the day" - is that their replacement for Page 3 or something?

Well played.
  • Options
    I'm sure Len Glover will make a contribution to help Danny.......
  • Options
    He'll be able to pay it off with his big, taxpayer funded, BBC salary
  • Options
    se9addick said:

He'll be able to pay it off with his big, taxpayer funded, BBC salary

If the BBC is paying him anywhere near £2.5m over his entire broadcasting career then they're getting mugged off.

• Options
    No wonder he had a nervous twitch on Sunday
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I read this a few days ago, seems like a lot of them where into the film lark.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jan/23/footballers-tax-demands-hmrc

Greedy, naive or just plain stupid?
  • Options
    I love Joanna Taylor.
  • Options
    They obviously met the wrong type of person at all those film premieres they attended after Murphy got his transfer away from us.
  • Options
    The link at the top said 25M and even I choked at that, even if it is that spud faced scouse chancer...

The picture is perfect opportunity to paraphrase that famous Mrs Merton quip.

"So Mrs Murphy, what attracted you to that multi millionaire footballer and media personality?"
  • Options
    Couldn't happen to a nicer bloke.
  • Options
    He hasn't broken the law, he just found out that the scheme he was using is not eligible.

So he thought he could get away with bending the law but was actually breaking the law and therefore has to pay the money back.
  • Options
    I would have thought he could claim against his advisers.
  • Options
    Ha bloody ha, naff radio pundit, naff TV pundit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

He hasn't broken the law, he just found out that the scheme he was using is not eligible.

So he thought he could get away with bending the law but was actually breaking the law and therefore has to pay the money back.

That's not how these schemes work. Someone sets them up based on the current rules. They are fully declared and no information is withheld, then the Inland Revenue look at the scheme and make a ruling. It is not bending the law, it is working within the law in 'grey' areas, oppose to black and white.
  • Options
    Can't believe he tried to pay less tax
    Why wouldn't he want to pay more
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Ha bloody ha, naff radio pundit, naff TV pundit.

I Disagree. He may have been a tosser when at Charlton but as a pundit I would have him over Savage, Mills or Lawrenson any day.
  • Options
    Tax cheats are just common thieves and them and their advisors should be tried and imprisoned as such
  • Options

I read this a few days ago, seems like a lot of them where into the film lark.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jan/23/footballers-tax-demands-hmrc

Greedy, naive or just plain stupid?

Probably a combination of all three in some cases. Film investing schemes can often be in the same league as land banks, forests, boiler rooms, carbon offsetting and ostriches.

I've been told of one individual who played at the highest level who just had his (very large) wages paid into his Building Society account until such time that the balance got to ridiculous levels. He then just gave his dosh over to his agent and asked him to invest it for him. So, really he had no idea where his money went nor what sort of schemes he might have ended up in. No doubt many thought they were doing the best they could for their clients although it's almost certain that some so-called financial advisers were not what we would know as being proper, qualified, authorised financial advisers but wide-boy accountants/solicitors.

As the old saying goes, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

(Anyone interested in the sort of crap that lawyers can get up to, could do worse than Google "Andrew Greystoke and Atlantic Law".)

• Options
    To be fair he probably didn't think he was "bending" the law and at the time had good reason to think he wasn't. The government often brings in schemes to encourage people to do certain thinks and they do this by giving tax breaks. The most obvious are pensions and ISAS but there are others. The government did want people to invest in film industry and gave certain reliefs. However as is always with a lot of type of things, there is always a grey area as to what is and what isn't covered. Certain institutions set up schemes in this grey area. They are quite often supported by views from legal counsel. However because it's grey there is room for challenge by HMRC and their legal counsel has supported their view.
    Over the years I have seen many tax avoidance schemes, in my work rather than personal, many just don't feel right, look to challenge and wouldn't be worth the risk.
    A professional footballer is probably not in a position to make that judgement if he has a "close to wire" adviser.
    Having said all that it is right that HMRC should be seeking every penny for failed schemes even id it means bankrupting people. If only to send out the message for others to be diligent in future
  • Options
    Haha brilliant.
  • Options
    Ha ha ha ha!
    Put him in the stocks!