Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

some advice please

Just wondering if anyone on here can give me some advice for an interview i have tomorrow.

I'm 24 and have worked in fashion retail since I was 17, but I am bored of being good at my job and not being able to progress, constantly having to sacrifice evenings and weekends in the process.

So I have looked around at a couple of slightly different roles, and applied to work in customer care and branch support at Barclays, and after passing the online assessments I have been offered an interview tomorrow.

Now I need advice on the interview itself, I am used to group assessment days and talking about how good i am at folding clothes and talking about products, and presenting things in a small group, as that's 90% of retail interviews. I am unused to the whole sitting down 1-1 with my cv etc. Does anyone on here work within branch banking that could give me some tips on how best to approach the interview, or anyone else who could share their views?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Do as much research on the company and the area that you'll be working in as you can.
    Large Companies love to have their trumpets blown on a regular basis.
  • Do as much research on the company and the area that you'll be working in as you can.
    Large Companies love to have their trumpets blown on a regular basis.

And if all else fails just blow your interviewers trumpet instead......

Years and years ago after having similar work experience to yourself I went for a similar job in a bank (Halifax), and from what I can remember from the interview the questions were very much customer focused which you should have plenty of experience with, and which will help when giving examples. Other than that there was a role play (non sexual), which I thought was pretty easy to deal with.

However, I didn't get the job, so probably don't listen to me.
  • Good luck, take a deep breath and think about each answer, they won't mind a short pause whilst you think!
  • edited January 2015
    Use examples of how you have excelled in customer service in the retail industry and how you can bring those qualities into the banking industry.

• Use examples of how you have excelled in customer service in the retail industry and how you can bring those qualities into the banking industry.

This. Transferrable skills are very important .

And have a think about anything else you have been involved in apart from work eg Scouts, Clubs, etc.

Also, in the kind of role you are applying for, it's worth demonstrating how you are recognised as a good team player with examples to back this up.

Good luck !

• Sam,
    Emphasis your Team Skills, Honesty and Customer Focus.

They may ask you to back them up with examples, so write some down and get them in your head.

Also worth Googling the usual 'what are you strengths and weaknesses questions' you may be asked.

I was recently asked to demonstrate excellence in something I had done recently, so may be worth writing something down there too.

Good luck
  • Think of things you might have implemented at your work place which has had a positive effect on yours and colleagues work.

Always have examples of how you have dealt with unhappy colleagues or customers and how your actions had a positive outcome.

Have some questions lined up for them at the end, I always find asking about internal training programmes get a good reaction as a work place is always looking for improvement in its workforce.

Go smart and good luck!
  • edited January 2015

Use examples of how you have excelled in customer service in the retail industry and how you can bring those qualities into the banking industry.

This. Transferrable skills are very important .

And have a think about anything else you have been involved in apart from work eg Scouts, Clubs, etc.

Also, in the kind of role you are applying for, it's worth demonstrating how you are recognised as a good team player with examples to back this up.

Good luck !

Building on transferable skills theme, there are also some transferable outcomes you might want to emphasise, like making sure as far as possible that the customer leaves happier than when the call started, and taking ownership of the problem/ relationship with customer. In the same way you'd take someone to a stock item if they can't find it, in a call centre you'll make sure you sign-post the caller to their solution even if you can't provide it there and then.

Good listening skills is a good one too, to the point of getting clarity and creating an accurate record of the call so a colleague can pick it up if they call back (relevant team working example there too).

• I'm sure Barclays have been doing adverts on helping people become more digitally savvy in recent weeks. I have no idea if this relates to the role you are applying for, but it is topical and potentially something I am guessing they are rolling out in branches.

You might also want to touch on the changing face of retail banking, shift to helping customers make use of online and telephone banking.

Finally, depending on the responsibilities of the role I'm pretty sure you can talk about Barclays as a responsible bank in a new financial climate. Helping people manage their finances in this day and age is very important. I used to work (briefly) as a cashier for Woolwich who were taken over by Barclays. This was back in 2003/2004 when we were expected to bombard every single customer with Barclaycard application forms, mortgage referral appointments etc. It was pathetic. I was at the Catford branch of Woolwich and you would have people that spoke very little English being pestered to sign up for Barclaycards etc.

I get that they have to make money, but based on experiencing that I can honestly say there were many bad practices that contributed to the financial crash in 2008. Everybody was quite happy to spend other people's money.

I think a message of responsibility and financial education might help
  • Fiiiiiish said:

Think of things you might have implemented at your work place which has had a positive effect on yours and colleagues work.

Always have examples of how you have dealt with unhappy colleagues or customers and how your actions had a positive outcome.

Have some questions lined up for them at the end, I always find asking about internal training programmes get a good reaction as a work place is always looking for improvement in its workforce.

Go smart and good luck!

This, especially the piece i've put in bold
  • Sponsored links:

• A lot of the time questions are asked to test your reaction under pressure rather than the specific answer. Testing your character I guess. Try and be calm and keep a smile on and you'll be fine.
  • Have an answer ready in case they ask 'why do you want to work here'? or 'why are you changing professions'?
  • Thanks for the advice so far guys, really appreciated
  • sam3110 said:

Thanks for the advice so far guys, really appreciated

Where's the interview Sam?
  • Preparation has already been said but it's key. Make sure you have a list of examples in your head that cover the likely questions they're going to come up with. If it's customer care they'll probably give you an example of a customer care issue and you'll be asked what you'd do and for an example of how you've shown your ability to handle a similar task in the past. If you've worked in retail you'll no doubt have countless examples of good customer service that you can apply.

I'd also recommend you re-read the job specification as they'll have to ask you questions based closely on that. If you can read through it and come up with an example for each one; i.e. good customer service: example, effective at working in a busy team: example, possibly something about you developing a process/showing interest in improving best practice: example. You can't write a script, but if you know exactly what you've done well in your job and how it might apply to a new one you'll be fine.

Make them believe you've bought into their ethos, so as said above a message of a responsible attitude towards banking that ultimately ends up with a happy customer is good. Just show you've thought about it. I find that what I'm really looking for over anything else is attitude. It might not be the same everywhere but anyone can learn a process; I need candidates to show me they approach their work and team with a positive attitude and a desire to improve themselves and the area they work in.

Always have questions at the end, and make sure zero of them are about salary or annual leave allowances.
  • sam3110 said:

Thanks for the advice so far guys, really appreciated

Where's the interview Sam?
    Hatton Garden Barclays branch, but the job is for general central London
  • when walking in get a bit close to the interviewer so they "accidently" touch your knob.

if you get the job then it wasn't a big price to pay and if you don't get it, sue the pervy old fucker.
  • Give an example of how you have gone the extra mile for a customer - maybe you sourced and ordered in something for them that was not in stock at your shop etc etc.

Example of how you have dealt with a 'difficult' customer.

What transferable skills you believe there are between the two roles.

Tell how you a see an organisation with circa 140k employees as giving you a good opportunity to develop your skills and progress within the company.

• Some good advice above (but please don't do it in an Indian accent) (South African is much more successful) (No, just don't!) :-)

You must prepare, prepare and prepare any interview, so I would prioritise:
    - Making sure you know the job/person spec inside out, and be ready with examples explaining how and why you meet it. This is fundamental, you will be asked.

- There is nothing wrong with saying, "I don't have direct experience but this (give example) demonstrates how I've dealt with something similar in the past." Or indeed, "I don't have direct experience of that, but believe this is how I would deal with it."

- It never harms to know a lot about the company who's interviewing you. Read their website and pick out the key bullet points for your answer when you're asked this question.

- In particular, get familiar with this: http://www.barclays.com/about-barclays/barclays-values.html - and have examples to demonstrate you not only understand but operate that way.

- Before giving any answer, take a breath. This is invaluable advice given to me by my other half. It gives you a few moments to take the question in and form your thoughts, with the additional benefit of appearing considered and controlled in your response.

- Be smart - a scruffy guy rarely gets a bank job (except criminals carrying out, ahem, a bank job).

Good luck!
  • Sponsored links:

• Don't fart.
  • Nothing to add but good luck.

P.s if your interviewer is a woman, no matter how nervous you are, do not picture her naked! ;-)
  • Have you got a work permit? Best to get these things sorted in advance.
  • Just to let you all know, the interview seemed to go well, I asked questions and gave the best answers I could, and I'll find out within 5 working days either way.

Thanks for all the advice
  • sam3110 said:

Just to let you all know, the interview seemed to go well, I asked questions and gave the best answers I could, and I'll find out within 5 working days either way.

Thanks for all the advice

Fingers crossed for you Sam.
  • Make sure you ask questions / have some prepared.

Do your research.

Don' be afraid to take notes with you and have them open. I always have a copy of the JD with notes and examples on every point of how I have demonstrated that requirement in my career. Don't be afraid to have a copy of your CV with you either - they will, so why shouldn't you as a point of reference as well?

Be yourself. Relax. They need to know they can get on with and work with you as a person.

Slow down when you talk - take a drink or ask for a glass of water incase you want a gap between their questions and your answers. It gives you time to think if you need to.

Good luck.

• Well done Sam, that's great news.
  • Quality news well done - where will you be based?? Prepare for extortionate train fares and an expensive pint if you are in the city!
  • Quality news well done - where will you be based?? Prepare for extortionate train fares and an expensive pint if you are in the city!

Fleet Street ;-)