Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Gravesend - Pubs & Ferry

13»

Comments

• Slammer, that's a jog from the past.
    DM, you really are showing your history.

That was down the High Street wasn't it?....had several names over the years. The Lazy Toad wine bar was opposite. The Grove Club....now that was rough.
  • I get the ferry everyday to tilbury and back from gravesend pier.

Thinking of moving into a place on high street, the upward walkway road that's directly opposite the pier etc.

I'm a bit more positive towards the idea after hearing the local pubs/bars are good.

That was down the High Street wasn't it?....had several names over the years. The Lazy Toad wine bar was opposite. The Grove Club....now that was rough.
    The Soul Bowl rings a bell??
  • Dave2l said:

I get the ferry everyday to tilbury and back from gravesend pier.

Thinking of moving into a place on high street, the upward walkway road that's directly opposite the pier etc.

I'm a bit more positive towards the idea after hearing the local pubs/bars are good.

Go for it Dave where are you living now?

Grove club... Err have an expensive leather jacket stolen from there.

I can quite imagine.

I can quite imagine.
    My mate Eddie Hague came out of there one night and thought he could cross the railway bridge on the brick wall. Sadly he fell on to the railway lines below.
  • Dave2l said:

Southfleet, nice area but inconvenient
  • Dave2l said:

Dave2l said:

Snobbish
  • Sponsored links:

• Dave2l said:

Dave2l said:

It’s like Gravesend but with net curtains.

I can quite imagine.
    My mate Eddie Hague came out of there one night and thought he could cross the railway bridge on the brick wall. Sadly he fell on to the railway lines below.
    I remember that though can't recall the year.
  • Dave2l said:

Dave2l said:

Agree very inconvenient, sister lives in Istead Rise.
  • Good pub in southfleet called the ship.

• Yep , very good boozer .

I can quite imagine.
    I remember that though can't recall the year.
    About 1981
  • Went on a pub crawl in Gravesend yesterday...Wheatsheaf, 3 Daws, Jolly Draymen, Tj's (previously British Tar), 3 Pillars and then finished of at Compass Alehouse, cracking day and catch up with my sister and brother in law....a shame about the fire there yesterday, hope no-one was hurt.
  • Went on a pub crawl in Gravesend yesterday...Wheatsheaf, 3 Daws, Jolly Draymen, Tj's (previously British Tar), 3 Pillars and then finished of at Compass Alehouse, cracking day and catch up with my sister and brother in law....a shame about the fire there yesterday, hope no-one was hurt.

I can confirm no one was hurt. They all evacuated quickly.

The road is still blocked off. I was concerned considering its location and where I live
  • Slammer, that's a jog from the past. DM, you really are showing your history.
    I can quite imagine.
    Jeez - did he survive ?

If he did, I imagine life changing injuries ?
  • I lived in Southfleet in the 80s and my family used to have lovely meals in the Black Lion, which sadly burnt down and was replaced by houses.
  • Sponsored links:

• I lived in Southfleet in the 80s and my family used to have lovely meals in the Black Lion, which sadly burnt down and was replaced by houses.
    Burnt down by a teenage toe rag who had been ejected by the landlord after he had been causing trouble in the pub
    Loved the 3 pillars when i lived around the corner, the Invicta bar is worth a visit, some good beers and ciders on tap, young, trendy crowd at weekends 
  • Pub by the railway station is only £2 a pint I've heard
  • Dave2l said:
    Pub by the railway station is only £2 a pint I've heard
    Don't know if it still does, but that pub had a dodgy Sky connection. How do I know? They had a sign on the doors saying something like "Employees and representatives of Sky TV are not allowed on these premises"
  • Dave2l said:
    Don't know if it still does, but that pub had a dodgy Sky connection. How do I know? They had a sign on the doors saying something like "Employees and representatives of Sky TV are not allowed on these premises"
    If you mean the Somerset, I’m not surprised by the price or the sky tv 
  • Slammer, that's a jog from the past. DM, you really are showing your history.
    I can quite imagine.
    Jeez - did he survive ?

If he did, I imagine life changing injuries ?
    No mate, sadly he fell on the conductor rail.

• DA9 said:
    Dave2l said:
    Was the Railway Bell, which seems to have finally died a death during Covid and has been taken over Punjabi Junctions (no idea if it still has a bar or not)
  • DA9 said:
    Dave2l said:

Yeh the Somerset is the cheap one 
  • Dave2l said:
    DA9 said:
    Dave2l said:

Yeh the Somerset is the cheap one 
    It was the 'in' place back in the day....early-mid 80's.