Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tainted Love for new managers

Picked up this article by a sports journalist today.

Was I the only one decidedly under- whelmed by the names emerging on various short- lists for the job prior to the announcement of ---- ---- appointment?
Initially I put that down to a shortage of available managerial talent-but I'm now thinking its not hat at all. With so many clubs so quick to pull the trigger,could it be the talent is still there, but managers are being tainted in the eyes of football fans by apparent failure at their previous jobs.

Could have been in the Newshopper of S.L.P. but was in the Eastern Daily Press refering to the appointment of Alex Neil to Norwich City.

Comments

• In the past the football manager merry go round has resembled what happens in the less efficient parts of (e.g.) the NHS and the Civil Service, that's to say, make a total Horlicks of one role and then just move on to another with more pay and perks and leave past failures as if they were of no consequence. Forgivable in the 'private sector' football world, unacceptable in the 'public sector'. But I digress.
    Things are changing. The same old faces still get work, but those old faces tend nowadays to be very experienced men who have not necessarily been a total success at a club but have, for example, 'saved' a club from relegation or left a club in a stronger position than when he joined. Tony Pulis is a good example.
    Club owners and directors now seem to want younger and more innovative managers who will bring fresh ideas. Howe, Cooper, Karanka, as mentioned, Neil at Norwich.
    The problem is of course that 'the fans' at most clubs (and of course some players) are not usually patient people. They want success and they want it last year. They mistrust old faces and equally do not want new faces: 'what's he ever won or done'. So some new managers are doomed before they start. Who could replace Curbishley ?, how could Moyes follow the ancient monument that was Lord Fergie ?, you get the point.
    I say again for the umpteenth time, I did not want Luzon as our manager. But here he is, nothing we can do to alter the fact, and if our 'love' for him is tainted, if he is deemed a failure before he starts, then friends' his regime is sunk before it sets sail. I will waffle no more. Come on you Addicks !!!
  • In fairness Lincs that merry go round of chief execs also happens in the ordinary private sector, but as you rightly say, we ain't paying for that...
  • Good waffle lincs.
  • In fairness Lincs that merry go round of chief execs also happens in the ordinary private sector, but as you rightly say, we ain't paying for that...

very true of course .. meet the new boss .. same as the old boss
  • I worked for a large company in the private sector with a large turnover of chief execs. We would say on their first day of employment with us, their first task was to look in the daily telegraph for the next position they should apply for.