Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Wonder what the non-fanatics make of it all?

edited January 2015 in General Charlton
I sometimes wonder whether the obsessed diehards (i.e. Us "on ere") have a completely different view of matters charlton from the many (?) who just pop along to watch the footy and don't get too involved. Let's be honest, those of us who spend way too much time on here and analyse every last iota that concerns our beloved club can't be representative of everyone who goes. Or are we? I dunno. Surely there must be a load of regular attendees like those who sit around me in the west upper who just shrug their shoulders and say "Bob looks like he's bought a wig and been under the sunbed dear. Pass the Bovril", "oh hadn't you heard, I think we've got a new manager. Think he's a friend of that jolly nice Belgian chap with the lovely daughter - Catrina or whatever her name is. You know, something to do with the programme sellers". Are a large number of our fans oblivious to most of this stuff or did they all disappear after the premiership years and I just chose the wrong place to sit? What do the non-obsessive's think?

Edit - I'm aware of the irony in asking about the views of non-obsessives on an obsessives' forum. :-)

Comments

• I don't about the non-fanatics, but every supporter of other clubs I know have said to me 'What's going on at Charlton?!'
  • Lot of truth in that. When Elliot left the guy next to me asked why he was not playing two weeks later.

Where a outs in upper west are you
  • God bless those Premiership deserters
  • Kap10 said:

Lot of truth in that. When Elliot left the guy next to me asked why he was not playing two weeks later.

Front row block k
  • Row B Block L seat 144 - wave your blanket next time
  • I'm sure there's plenty of supporters whose relationship with Charlton starts just before 3pm on a Saturday and ends at around 5pm.

Don't think they necessarily have a completely different view to those of us who spend our entire lives on here, just a diluted version of our opinions. You don't have to spend all your spare time on a message board to work out that the football's poor, we haven't got enough players of satisfactory quality, and 4 managers in less than a year does not indicate a well run club.
  • Good post that SillyBilly.

Both my two cousins, my uncle, my dad and my nephews go to many more games than I do at the moment. In part it's due to my current unemployment and not being able to afford to attend but it's also the fact that my love for the game has dwindled over the past few years.

It's the absolute reverse for my dad, who since retiring loves going to games again. Brilliantly my nephew's have chucked aside their early love of supporting anyone who wins (Chelsea & Man Utd) and been going to The Valley a lot recently and now consider themselves proud Addicks.

Interestingly when I saw all of them together at my wedding and again at Christmas, none of them knew of Charlton Life and were amazed at how much I knew (or thought I knew) about what was going on behind the scenes and who might be coming in or going out etc.

All of them just go for the football then head home afterwards happy or mainly unhappy.

I kind of wish I could do the same once more.
  • edited January 2015
    I think it's an excellent observation. I like to watch Ebbsfleet, Dartford and Welling and have got to recognise a few of the players. However, I hardly know anything about managerial changes, politics or players going in or out, yet I can see in the bar that there's a few arguing passionately about this and that. Maybe, we are the minority on here. Maybe, we should set up www.charltonnolife.com (places tongue firmly in cheek).
  • I doubt there are more than a handful who dont take an interest in the extraordinary goings on in the last 12 months.I raise an eyebrow at the comings and goings at leeds and watford but if you even take a passing interest in charlton you will find this latest carry on bewildering.
  • edited January 2015
    Kap10 said:

Lot of truth in that. When Elliot left the guy next to me asked why he was not playing two weeks later.

To be fair kap, I never really noticed Elliot unless he was picking the ball out of the net.
  • Sponsored links:

• Yep a large majority are oblivious to what goes on behind the scenes, few of the older ones who sit near me only get information from local and national media, good observation billy not so silly after all :smile:
  • Kap10 said:

Row B Block L seat 144 - wave your pencil case next time

• We're in the minority of Charlton fans, here on Charlton Life.

My 82 year old Dad is a Season Ticket holder and rarely misses a match.
    He was in his usual seat at The Valley on Saturday, for the Brighton game.

I'm the one who phoned him on Tuesday evening - to tell him that Luzon had been appointed the new manager.

He didn't even know Peeters had been sacked.

• red_murph said:

Interestingly when I saw all of them together at my wedding and again at Christmas, none of them knew of Charlton Life and were amazed at how much I knew (or thought I knew) about what was going on behind the scenes and who might be coming in or going out etc.

Your big day, and you want to talk about Charlton life?
    Wow.
  • Should imagine they are a little more realistic in the fact that until you can afford to change it there nowt you can do
  • Kap10 said:

Row B Block L seat 144 - wave your blanket next time

Don't get me annoyed or I'll throw my thermos!! :-)
  • Jarman said:

red_murph said:

Your big day, and you want to talk about Charlton life?
    Wow.
    I know, it's absolutely crazy isn't it Jarman. It was the night before when I was having a nice bev at the bar with my Charlton supporting family and friends.

Silly five minute conversation that got completely out of hand.

Thankfully I put it behind me and enjoyed the rest of the weekend.
  • MrLargo said:

I'm sure there's plenty of supporters whose relationship with Charlton starts just before 3pm on a Saturday and ends at around 5pm.

too true. had to explain to two regulars on the coach last week that the keeper we had just signed from a club in Hungary wasn't the Phillipines national keeper. so who is they asked. Etheridge I replied. Who is he they asked. Played in last couple of games I replied. Where did he come from they asked. Oldham I replied. Oh, they said. So, what about some Serbian we have signed they asked. He's a keeper from a Club in Hungary say I. So, he's not Filippino they say. No, Serbian I say. Finally, I think they understand until they ask 'who has Henderson signed for then?'

• The after-dinner circuit is crying out for this kind of stuff.
  • MrLargo said:

I'm sure there's plenty of supporters whose relationship with Charlton starts just before 3pm on a Saturday and ends at around 5pm.

too true. had to explain to two regulars on the coach last week that the keeper we had just signed from a club in Hungary wasn't the Phillipines national keeper. so who is they asked. Etheridge I replied. Who is he they asked. Played in last couple of games I replied. Where did he come from they asked. Oldham I replied. Oh, they said. So, what about some Serbian we have signed they asked. He's a keeper from a Club in Hungary say I. So, he's not Filippino they say. No, Serbian I say. Finally, I think they understand until they ask 'who has Henderson signed for then?'

Did you explain the Pope in the Phillipines isn't the one who plays for Charlton.