Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Luzon : Happy with Liege players here & urges Tony Watt to improve

Charlton head coach Guy Luzon has told new Addicks signing Tony Watt he has to improve his game to kick on at The Valley.

Watt only officially arrived at Charlton last week after training with the club over Christmas but saw the man who brought him to south-east London, Bob Peeters, sacked just days later.

New boss Luzon worked for a short time with Watt at former club Standard Liege, also owned by Charlton chief Roland Duchâtelet, but the Scottish striker failed to impress the manager.

Luzon has urged Watt to kick on and focus on improving his game while admitting his delighted at having a few former Liege players already in his Addicks squad.

“He is a young guy, he has improved a lot,” Luzon said.

“He has a lot of places to improve, he needs to work a lot, but he is a good player.

“My first training session will be tomorrow so we will see them tomorrow.

“I see it as a big advantage (to have players from Liege). I know some player from my time in Standard and it can only help me.”

Another player who worked with Luzon at Liege was influential midfielder Yoni Buyens, who has been a regular under Peeters this season.

There were suggestions this week that Buyens and Luzon did not see eye to eye at Liege, but the Israeli has set to record straight on that too.

“He did play a lot of games, I don’t think it was that he didn’t play a lot of games,” he said.

“We had a very strong team at Standard last year, when he played he did well.

“As I said, it is good that he is in the squad.

When asked if his relationship with Buyens was a bad one, Luzon simply replied: “No.”

http://www.london24.com/sport/football/clubs/charlton/new_charlton_boss_urges_former_celtic_man_to_improve_if_he_is_to_succeed_at_the_valley_1_3917384

Comments

• Charlton head coach Guy Luzon has told new Addicks signing Tony Watt he has to improve his game to kick on at The Valley.

There were suggestions this week that Buyens and Luzon did not see eye to eye at Liege, but the Israeli has set to record straight on that too.

“He did play a lot of games, I don’t think it was that he didn’t play a lot of games,” he said.

“We had a very strong team at Standard last year, when he played he did well.

“As I said, it is good that he is in the squad.

When asked if his relationship with Buyens was a bad one, Luzon simply replied: “No.”

http://www.london24.com/sport/football/clubs/charlton/new_charlton_boss_urges_former_celtic_man_to_improve_if_he_is_to_succeed_at_the_valley_1_3917384

Proof of the pudding and all that...

• edited January 2015
    It was another player rather than the manager, wasn't it? Allegedly.
  • We don't know how Luzon worked with Ben Haim, Bulot and Buyens but the stats say he played them a lot, especially Bulot who wasn't used much by Peeters.
    If (and its a big if) Luzon gets the best out of these three and Watt plus gets a couple more in then it could go well.
  • "He did play a lot of games. I don't think it was that he didn't play a lot of games"

Gold.
  • edited January 2015
  • He's talking the talk .. next thing .. let's see if he can walk the walk .. Luzon reminds me physically of Jose Mourinho, and also in the way he talks, purposefully and aggressively, perhaps he has styled himself on Jose .. If he is 2/3 as successful over the coming months, he'll do for me
  • We don't know how Luzon worked with Ben Haim, Bulot and Buyens but the stats say he played them a lot, especially Bulot who wasn't used much by Peeters.
    If (and its a big if) Luzon gets the best out of these three and Watt plus gets a couple more in then it could go well.

Hasn't Bulot been pretty much unavailable throughout? Injured, unfit, in Asia?

Africa?
  • He's talking the talk .. next thing .. let's see if he can walk the walk .. Luzon reminds me physically of Jose Mourinho, and also in the way he talks, purposefully and aggressively, perhaps he has styled himself on Jose .. If he is 2/3 as successful over the coming months, he'll do for me

We've already had mini-Mourinho
  • Sponsored links:

I recall he was edged in with 20 minute sub appearances during our unbeaten run just after he arrived. He then had something wrong (hamstring?) but didn't think he was a long term sick note. He and Buyens played over 30 times for Luzon last season so if they aren't injuresd (or banned Yoni!) then their attitude and ability can make a difference.
  • New boss Luzon worked for a short time with Watt at former club Standard Liege, also owned by Charlton chief Roland Duchâtelet, but the Scottish striker failed to impress the manager.
    I'm not sure that interpretation is very accurate?

I recall he was edged in with 20 minute sub appearances during our unbeaten run just after he arrived. He then had something wrong (hamstring?) but didn't think he was a long term sick note. He and Buyens played over 30 times for Luzon last season so if they aren't injuresd (or banned Yoni!) then their attitude and ability can make a difference.
    According to Soccerway, Buyens in 2013-14 started 16 and was subbed 6 times. He came on 8 times as a sub.

Bulot started 12 and was subbed 10 times. He came on as a sub 16 times.

So Bulot only completed 90+ minutes twice, Buyens 10 times.

Both played a lot more in 2012-13 under Jans & (for most of the season) Rednic.
  • I've seen buyers play once live this season against Cardiff and think he is a bit 'soft' in the tackle but has good passing range. He needs a combative midfielder alongside him
  • ct_addick said:

I've seen buyers play once live this season against Cardiff and think he is a bit 'soft' in the tackle but has good passing range. He needs a combative midfielder alongside him

I agreed. Trouble is Bob was playing him as an anchorman, which he isn't. That is the only advantage I can see of having Luzon here. He should, in theory, know how to get the best out of the Liege rejects.
  • So Luzon is barely in the door and is already criticising a player he hasn't worked with for six months. Perhaps something was lost in translation, or maybe he thinks a returning Welsh international striker is going to bang in the goals instead.
  • So Luzon is barely in the door and is already criticising a player he hasn't worked with for six months. Perhaps something was lost in translation, or maybe he thinks a returning Welsh international striker is going to bang in the goals instead.

The manager didn't criticise Watt.

Usual scenario ...... the journo asks a specific question.
    The manager responds directly.

Luzon's reply:

“He is a young guy, he has improved a lot,” Luzon said.

“He has a lot of places to improve, he needs to work a lot, but he is a good player.

The manager has worked with Watt before, so is aware of the player's strengths and weakness.

He's only saying that Watt is not the finished article (as you would expect of any young player), and that he can get better if he works hard.