Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Do we need championship experience?

Heard a lot of complaints over the last 24 hrs that Luzon has no championship experience. This had me thinking about how essential this is.

Not including charlton,

There are currently 13 managers with no previous championship experience before there current roles.

Of the 13 teams above us, 8 of those have 'inexperienced' managers. That's over 60%.

The current bottom 3 all have managers who are experienced in the championship.

Over the last 3 years, of the promoted teams, 4/9 have had inexperienced managers.

As you can see, experience does not guarantee success.

Comments

• The problem might be an inexperienced manager with a tissue paper thin possibly disgruntled squad. Anyway I wish M Luzon all the very best
  • Heard a lot of complaints over the last 24 hrs that Luzon has no championship experience. This had me thinking about how essential this is.

Not including charlton,

There are currently 13 managers with no previous championship experience before there current roles.

Of the 13 teams above us, 8 of those have 'inexperienced' managers. That's over 60%.

The current bottom 3 all have managers who are experienced in the championship.

Over the last 3 years, of the promoted teams, 4/9 have had inexperienced managers.

As you can see, experience does not guarantee success.

Don't try and apply logic, fact and statistics to this situation

Mangina
  • Agree with the OP although, I think it makes a huge difference to how the players perceive the move if a man comes in with proven Championship experience. The players could have a lift, feeling that the club is showing some sort of ambition, but looking at the names of available managers, I'm not sure any of them looked that good on paper.
  • No. It's one of those things fans call for when a team is struggling. We need good players that fit together to make a good team. Vetokele or Church?
  • I've made the same point in a few threads. No one so far has responded to it. I feel that it's just another reason for some to hold over Luzon. He might be a good manager for us he might not. Time will tell.
  • If we don't have Championship experience in the dugout, we certainly need it on the pitch. Sadly, we're running out of those kinds of players and doubt we'll see any coming in this month on a permanent basis.
  • Lawrence, Curbishley, Powell & Riga had no previous Championship experience. 2 got us promoted. Powell got us to 9th in his first season and Riga performed a miracle to keep us up.

Pardew had loads of Championship experience and was a disaster.

The answer, is give Luzon a chance and don't prejudge.

Personally, I'm not optimistic, but I'd have called it wrong on most of the others listed.
  • edited January 2015

Lawrence, Curbishley, Powell & Riga had no previous Championship experience. 2 got us promoted. Powell got us to 9th in his first season and Riga performed a miracle to keep us up.

Pardew had loads of Championship experience and was a disaster.

The answer, is give Luzon a chance and don't prejudge.

Personally, I'm not optimistic, but I'd have called it wrong on most of the others listed.

Yes and no.

Lawrence was on the staff when we were in the equivalent of the Championship under "Pardew" Mullery and Curbs and Powell both had playing experience of it so it was not an entirely unknown quantity for any of them.

Riga fair dos.

That said I agree that Luzon deserves a chance even though I find much of what has happened at the Club since the Sheffield United cup tie or thereabouts last season distasteful.