Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Foreign Managers in England (mainly Football League) since 2007

edited January 2015 in General Charlton
Just looking through the list of appointments of foreign managers since the beginning of the 07/08 season. Peeters amazingly was the last one standing from the 14/15 Summer appointments.

Looking specifically at those outside the Prem in the last 18 months, only Aitor Karanka can be viewed as potentially a success out of the lot.

Slavisa Jokanovic (Watford) - Jury out (3mths been there)
Sami Hypia - Sacked - (5mths)
Mauro Milanese (Orient) - Sacked - (6wks)
Uwe Rosler - Sacked - (11mths)
Jose Riga - Sacked (4mths)
Darko Milanic - Sacked - (2mths)
Ole Gunnar Solskaer - Sacked (8mths)
Giuseppe Sannino - (Watford) Sacked (8mths)
Oscar Garcia - ill health? (3wks)
Bob Peeters - Sacked (6mths)

Pepe Mel - West Brom Sacked
Rene Meulensteen - Fulham - Sacked
Felix Magath - Fulham - Sacked
Louis Van Gaal - Man U- Jury out
Michael Laudrup - Swansea - Sacked
Aitor Karanka - Boro - Success
Paolo Di Canio - Sunderland - Sacked

(not including Pochettino as he was already working in England, nor Liverani at Orient as he has only been there 1 month)

If looking back further in the Football League, other similar appointments to Luzon in recent years have been:

Stale Solbakken - Wolves 12/13 (5mths)
Hans Bakke - Notts C - 09/10 (6 weeks)
Gudjon Thordarson - Crewe - 09/10 (9mths)
Mark Wotte - Southampton - 09/10 (8mths)
Paulo Sousa - QPR - 08/09 (5mths)
Jan Poortvliet - Southampton 08/09 (6mths)
Luigi De Canio - QPR 07/08 (6mths)

Comments

• Well, that all looks very positive
  • wot about Koeman?
  • edited January 2015
    But you've also got to look at the foreign managers in the other clubs:

Roberto Martinez at both Wigan Athletic and Swansea City
    Oscar Garcia and Gus Poyet at Brighton and Hove Albion
    Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink at Burton Albion
    Paolo Di Canio at Swindon Town.
    Roberto Di Matteo at Milton Keynes Dons

Then the list is endless of British Managers who have failed in the Football League

Steve Kean... Nick Barmby... Michael Appleton... Dean Saunders... Steve Lomas... Les Reed... Barry Ferguson...

Then to an extent Managers who have been successful @ one club but a disaster at another

Paul Ince... Stuart Gray... Phil Parkinson... Nigel Pearson... Phil Brown... Nigel Worthington etc...
  • But you've also got to look at the foreign managers in the other clubs:

Only one of those, Oscar Garcia, had never played in England before managing here.

• I think Roland already has a number of copies of that list in his mansion - he uses them as novelty bog roll, along with a copy of Battle for Valley and Richard Redden's History of Charlton Athletic.
  • edited January 2015
    tricky said:

Only one of those, Oscar Garcia, had never played in England before managing here.

But then look at Mourinho or Hodgson... Do you really need to have played in England or at the highest level to become a really good Manager? - Same case with Wenger... Alex Ferguson etc...

Not saying that Guy Luzon is as good as those mentioned yet we're Charlton we'll never be able to go out and get Ancelotti / Klopp or Guardiola instead we're going to have to try and find them before they become a World Class Manager, it means we're going to have to give some guys a random change else we'll forever be playing it safe with the likes of Dougie Freedman or Dave Jones who only occasionally can build a promotion team
  • tricky said:

But then look at Mourinho or Hodgson... Do you really need to have played in England or at the highest level to become a really good Manager?

Same case with Wenger... Alex Ferguson etc...
    Keep clutching at those straws.

Then the list is endless of British Managers who have failed in the Football League

Steve Kean... Nick Barmby... Michael Appleton... Dean Saunders... Steve Lomas... Les Reed... Barry Ferguson...

Then to an extent Managers who have been successful @ one club but a disaster at another

Paul Ince... Stuart Gray... Phil Parkinson... Nigel Pearson... Phil Brown... Nigel Worthington etc...

Old big arse has only been at it five minutes in fairness FA...

Yeah to be honest I did think adding him was edging it a bit but he has had a good start - Thrashing the leaders in his first game and has only lost once

Yeah to be honest I did think adding him was edging it a bit but he has had a good start - Thrashing the leaders in his first game and has only lost once
    Comparable to the start Peeters made then.....
  • Sponsored links:

• MrLargo said:

Comparable to the start Peeters made then.....
    Yup... 9 matches - 1-defeat / 2-draws / 6-wins very comparable
  • edited January 2015
    The prime example (and missing from your extensive list AFKA) is Henning Berg. 57 days at Blackburn, totally useless, was sacked, sued for breach of contract and was granted £2.25 MILLION in compensation by the High Court .. Foreign managers are no more successful than are British managers, except perhaps in getting loads of money for nothing
  • How do they compare to English managers records in the Champ since 2007?
  • edited January 2015
    In reverse order, here's the nationality of managers who've won promotion from the Championship from 2007 onwards (I gave up going back any further):

English
    English
    English

Scottish
    English
    English

English
    English
    English

English
    Scottish
    Northern Irish

English
    Swiss/Italian (with over 100 apps as a player in the English leagues, went on to win CL as manager)
    English

English
    Scottish
    Scottish

English
    Welsh
    English

You get the idea...
  • In reverse order, here's the nationality of managers who've won promotion from the Championship from 2007 onwards (I gave up going back any further):

English
    English
    English

Scottish
    English
    English

English
    English
    English

English
    Scottish
    Northern Irish

English
    Swiss/Italian (with over 100 apps as a player in the English leagues, went on to win CL as manager)
    English

English
    Scottish
    Scottish

English
    Welsh
    English

You get the idea...

Nationalities of relegated managers?

I kind of changed what i was setting out halfway through and shouldn't have included the Prem ones. But i purposely didn't include the likes of Poyet, Di Matteo and Zola because they were already here and had a good understanding of English football.

Lincs is right i should have included Berg, but didn't because he was very associated with the club before coming manager.

• In reverse order, here's the nationality of managers who've won promotion from the Championship from 2007 onwards (I gave up going back any further):

English
    English
    English

Scottish
    English
    English

English
    English
    English

English
    Scottish
    Northern Irish

English
    English

English
    Scottish
    Scottish

English
    Welsh
    English

You get the idea...

English... English... English

Welsh... English... English

Scottish... English... English

• not including Pochettino as he was already working in England

Why not include his Southampton time then?

English
    English
    English

Scottish
    English
    English

English
    English
    English

English
    Scottish
    Northern Irish

English
    English

English
    Scottish
    Scottish

English
    Welsh
    English

You get the idea...

In reverse order, here's the nationality of managers who've won promotion from the Championship from 2007 onwards (I gave up going back any further):

English
    English
    English

Scottish
    English
    English

English
    English
    English

English
    Scottish
    Northern Irish

English
    English

English
    Scottish
    Scottish

English
    Welsh
    English

You get the idea...

So foreign managers finish mid-table
  • Sponsored links:

• IA said:

not including Pochettino as he was already working in England

Because i'm not a professional journalist / researcher and tried to cobble together some comparative that might be of interest during my 20 min lunch break whilst eating a crayfish and cucumber baguette (very nice as well).

you can't please all of the people all of the time .. who said that Dad ? .. Abe Lincoln son .. ((:>)

English
    English
    English

Scottish
    English
    English

English
    English
    English

English
    Scottish
    Northern Irish

English
    English

English
    Scottish
    Scottish

English
    Welsh
    English

You get the idea...

These stats are all a bit pointless as it all depends how many of each party you have, if you have a league of 24 and just 2 international managers the odds on relegation from these 2 are already low, then you have to factor in the quality of the team they are managing.

Experience is a huge benefit in the lower leagues even when you come up to manage in the Championship. Mid-season recruitment is also a downfall for a manager, especially with no experience in the league.

Suppose we can judge Guy on his results..but if they are poor it still doesn't mean we learn from that, then it's just time for the next network dud!
  • IA said:

Because i'm not a professional journalist / researcher and tried to cobble together some comparative that might be of interest during my 20 min lunch break whilst eating a crayfish and cucumber baguette (very nice as well).

Bit defensive

You thought of him, decided to leave him out, and then looked for Mark Wotte's record. I thought there might have been another reason.
  • IA said:

IA said:

Bit defensive

You thought of him, decided to leave him out, and then looked for Mark Wotte's record. I thought there might have been another reason.
    because by that stage i was concentrating on FL, that's why i included Wotte. Pochettino (as far as i'm aware) has only ever been a Premier League manager. I think the gulf between Premier and Football League clubs in terms of resources, style of play, squad make up etc are huge, which is why i changed what i was listing halfway through, and said about that i should have left out prem clubs.

btw, not defensive at all. its really not important!

• IA said:

IA said:

Bit defensive

what ARE you on about .. could you do a better job of researching into the subject ? ..
  • It's all a conspiracy. AFKA and the clique are the Illuminati.
  • I think this English/British manager thing could be a red herring. I would like to know as a percentage how many foreign managers have been involved with Championship teams. Because it's likely that the reason so many British managers have gained promotion etc is because there has been a lack of foreign managers season upon season. I'm not saying Luzon will succeed where others have failed, I just think that this data doesn't really prove anything one way or the other.
  • ffs AFKA give the bloke a chance.

• AFKA obviously now being bribed by The Network by being given the position of Head Menu Taster (season 15-16) at The Valley.