Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

He who pays the piper calls the tune

I think that is how the old saying goes and to me it means the person that shells out the money runs the show.

There has been much talk on this forum about the recent actions of our owner with regard to his replacement of the coach and the consensus has been that he bought the club, he pays the running costs and he is responsible of the dept so he can do what he likes.

Sorry but that is wrong.

RD is a successful business man and he has stated that his business model of a network of clubs is to ensure that they do not loose money and from that I assume that he hopes that eventually they might make a profit. Taking our club as an example there are three ways to give RD a return on his investment:
1. We have to return to the Premiership which will need investment in players and coaching.
2. Remain in the Championship and sell players for a profit, replacing them with players from the Academy or from within the Network
3. Once the club is successful sell it for a profit.

If RD does not intend to do any of the above he will continue to loose money which from the little we know of him is not his style. If he does achieve his plan then he gets a return on his investment and therefore he is not shelling out his money as he is getting it back.In fact the only people shelling our money are us the supporters not the owner.

So enough of saying that RD can do what he likes, we should realise that it is us the supporters that own the club but how we exercise our "ownership" I have no idea and I leave it to others of you to make suggestions.

Comments

• Grow the Trust?
  • I used to own a bit of CAFC - then they wrote to me and said that I didn't.
  • Airman suggested a season ticket boycott after the sacking of Powell last year in an attempt to force Roland to communicate to the fans his vision for the club, a proposal that was greeted with a fair amount of ridicule at the time - http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/60548/season-ticket-strike-to-bring-the-owner-to-the-table/p1

Whilst I would welcome something similar this time around, ideally coordinated formally by the Supporters Trust, the impact of such a move is likely to be diluted by the fact that we're probably going to lose hundreds of season ticket holders over the summer anyway, regardless of any organised supporter action. Furthermore, it has reached the point for me (and many others as well I suspect) where I don't really care what his vision is, I just want him gone. Actually, it reached that point for me about a fortnight after he took over, but I appreciate that the more rational amongst us have probably taken a bit longer to reach that point.

Not sure what to suggest but, as Seth says, growing the membership of the Supporters Trust would be a start - a Supporters Trust with 5000 members will have more influence than a Supporters Trust with only 1,000 members.

It doesn't really seem to be in our make up to hold mass protests, but I would love to see some sort of demonstration. There's a Football for a Fiver day coming up soon, which happens to coincide with the return of our last non-Network manager. The transfer window will also have passed by then, no doubt providing further evidence of our squads incestuous relationship with Standard Liege Reserves. Seems like a good opportunity to make your feelings known.