Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Owner, The Manager, The Players come and go. The FANS dont leave

It's rare, very rare that a person will say, "I used to support Charlton but don't anymore".

Really, and truly, we own the club. Without the fans, there would be no Charlton Athletic.

Without Roland and co, Charlton will just be owned by someone else.

We don't necessarily have to like the people that run the club, or other staff, the players, the kitman, the tea lady.

What makes Charlton is US. We stick together, and through the rough, unsure, strange, confusing, frustrating times. Count yourself lucky to not be a Portsmouth fan in this sense.

We have enjoyed a successful era in our recent history, though the last 8 years have not been hugely kind to us in comparison to our premier league status, but that's gone now.

RD, rightly or wrongly, is not going to have the same affection for what the club means and what we are about then our fan base and legendary ex players do.

He is not Charlton, he is a businessman. Just remind yourself of that.

Accept history for what it is, history, and reflect on the memories, as, timeless, fond memories, that have surpassed.

Charlton still exists, but just in a slightly different way.

The "soul" of the club, hmmmm. The loyal fans are the soul of the club and always will be.

Comments

• Dave2l said:

It's rare, very rare that a person will say, "I used to support Charlton but don't anymore".

Really, and truly, we own the club. Without the fans, there would be no Charlton Athletic.

We don't necessarily have to like the people that run the club, or other staff, the players, the kitman, the tea lady.

What makes Charlton is US. We stick together, and through the rough, unsure, strange, confusing, frustrating times. Count yourself lucky to not be a Portsmouth fan in this sense.

We have enjoyed a successful era in our recent history, though the last 8 years have not been hugely kind to us in comparison to our premier league status, but that's gone now.

RD, rightly or wrongly, is not going to have the same affection for what the club means and what we are about then our fan base and legendary ex players do.

Accept history for what it is, history, and reflect on the memories, as, timeless, fond memories, that have surpassed.

The "soul" of the club, hmmmm. The loyal fans are the soul of the club and always will be.

....and they need to be visible to be noticed.

• I was sceptical of RD from the off, but gave him the benefit of the doubt last spring, and renewed my season ticket. I remain sceptical and shall see how things go with this new chap at the helm. If the club continues to foul up and the first team gets relegated, I shall walk away. This is not the CAFC that I grew up with and, based on the current notwork model, it cannot be the thing what I want. But I'm not the owner, I'm a paying supporter, so what options do I have? I'll see where we end up, and appraise the situation. In the spring, they'll ask me for more money. I may well say 'No, not any more' and, if it comes to that, I'll take some comfort in that I know I won't be alone.
    Bon chance, Mr Luzon. And to the squad: If you have the heart, give it your all.

• My dad first took me to the Valley in 1978 and for me it's been CAFC ever since. It's not OUR club that has changed, it's the global business that is football that has completely evolved.

You are right. The club and herritage is the same and that can said for all. Even in just over 20 odd years which is just my time the game has changed.
  • Dave2l said:

Did Pompey fans not stick together? Thought they now own a stake in their club? I may be wrong.

Either way, they are where they should be in terms of financial mis-management, much as I like them.

• We are MANY - we are ONE