Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Everything summed up in Four Tweets (by a respected Belgian writer)

Comments

• The good news is , if he's rubbish he'll be out the door in the Summer, Roland won't want to keep getting his fingers burnt, surely he will learn by his mistakes?
  • The good news is , if he's rubbish he'll be out the door in the Summer, Roland won't want to keep getting his fingers burnt, surely he will learn by his mistakes?

Why? He hasn't so far. But that might just be ego as much as anything else.

You're right. The length of the contract means nothing. If the results dont improve , people will vote with their feet and as a businessman that will hit RD hard.

• Typical Charlton, out of the frying pan (Slater/Jiminez) straight into the fire.
  • Sponsored links:

• Somehow we need to get behind the players on the pitch, so at least they know we are behind them.
  • The tweets are right on the money. The problem is not just the soul of the club,I doubt Man City fans have much sense of soul,but that the business model does not work for football. Our club could both lose its soul and get relegated. There would not be much left if that happened.
  • As PL54 mentioned on another thread, what if Luzon to SL is like Pardew to Charlton. He went on and did ok elsewhere. Maybe at CAFC where the pressure is a tenth of what it is at SL, his coaching ideas might flourish a bit more and he will be successful. I'm hoping more than expecting though.

What if my uncle was my aunt?

We are a weak and depleted squad, and let's look at the facts we have rather than daydream like that .. we have lost our key experienced players in this league, just as SL did. Guy Luzon had no plan B and the players and fans got on his back, he didn't know what to do and off he went...

It's a poor appointment, bet Damian Matthews isn't far from handing in his resignation.....
  • Wonder if Roland cares or even acknowledged anything the fans say
  • Sponsored links:

• Southbank said:

The tweets are right on the money. The problem is not just the soul of the club,I doubt Man City fans have much sense of soul,but that the business model does not work for football. Our club could both lose its soul and get relegated. There would not be much left if that happened.

I bet Roly's lost less money from football than the Maine Road Sheiks.
  • Southbank said:

The tweets are right on the money. The problem is not just the soul of the club,I doubt Man City fans have much sense of soul,but that the business model does not work for football. Our club could both lose its soul and get relegated. There would not be much left if that happened.

A nice Prem quality pitch!
  • Summed up in one tweet to be honest - the first one.
  • Ian Wright has summed up well in this video
    http://youtu.be/l6gUgAu8Uvw
  • 17 April 2014 that interviewed with Ian Wright was posted. Wonder what he thinks now.
  • Ian Wright has summed up well in this video
    http://youtu.be/l6gUgAu8Uvw

Which is a year old but spot on.
  • Uboat said:

thenewbie said:

I remember a time when we had a promising young coach with a good reputation and strong prospects. Sadly, he and the team just weren't getting the results and in the face of fans' anger and disappointment, a 'network' manager, with not much credibility and a poor reputation in the Belgian press was appointed on short notice. He promptly saved the season and not inconceivably the club's future in the network as a whole, and many fans were disappointed when he didn't get a longer contract. This is not a prediction, this is last season, and we know how it ended - in success.

Riga turned a team in freefall into a team with passion and heart and effort enough to overcome the lack of quality.

I think history is being very kind to Riga. The way people talk about him you'd think we won all our remaining games once he took over, when to mind mind the performances seemed pretty much the same as they has been under Powell and we suffered some pretty dire defeats - Brighton in particular comes to mind.
    Brighton away was awful and quite possibly the worst we played last season. In Riga's defence he did seem to prioritise games that he thought we could win and it worked.
  • Uboat said:

thenewbie said:

I remember a time when we had a promising young coach with a good reputation and strong prospects. Sadly, he and the team just weren't getting the results and in the face of fans' anger and disappointment, a 'network' manager, with not much credibility and a poor reputation in the Belgian press was appointed on short notice. He promptly saved the season and not inconceivably the club's future in the network as a whole, and many fans were disappointed when he didn't get a longer contract. This is not a prediction, this is last season, and we know how it ended - in success.

Riga turned a team in freefall into a team with passion and heart and effort enough to overcome the lack of quality.

I think history is being very kind to Riga. The way people talk about him you'd think we won all our remaining games once he took over, when to mind mind the performances seemed pretty much the same as they has been under Powell and we suffered some pretty dire defeats - Brighton in particular comes to mind.
    That Brighton performance was woeful