Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Zonal marking

Paul Hart introduced zonal marking at the club because he felt that it would benefit the team like it did when Brian Clough introduced it to Nottingham Forest. The first team and the academy all the way down to the under 9's are all taught to adopt this policy from corner kicks, free kicks and long throw ins. No body seems to get it. There is nobody who attacks the ball in the same way you would if you were contesting the ball with an opponent. Paul Hart has gone so why are we still adopting this alien way and suicidal way of defending. It has cost us dearly this season. The opposition seem to have gained an advantage over our static defence who don't know what their defensive jobs are. What happened to the old days of 'who's marking him'. Moan over.
Disgruntled and bored Charlton fan.

Comments

• It has certainly been our downfall this season. Let's hope the coaching staff see sense and resolve this issue quickly.
  • Today it was neither one thing or the other. It seemed some we had some man marking and others zonal. Really weird.
  • It has certainly been our downfall this season. Let's hope the coaching staff see sense and resolve this issue quickly.

Because having the joint 6th fewest conceded shows that.
  • colthe3rd said:

It has certainly been our downfall this season. Let's hope the coaching staff see sense and resolve this issue quickly.

Many of our conceded goals come from set pieces where the scorer isn't picked up properly due to the zonal marking policy.
  • colthe3rd said:

It has certainly been our downfall this season. Let's hope the coaching staff see sense and resolve this issue quickly.

That's good news, then.

I was beginning to fear it was 'Relegation Zonal Marking'.

But is it zonal marking, a lack of players that are good in the air or do we give away too many set pieces?
  • Someone at the game today told me that 2/3 of the goals we've conceded this season were from set pieces - that can't be true, can it ?
  • Brighton's three goals this season against us have come from crosses. Zonal marking is clearly not for us so why persist with it. Wilson ended up marking Ince because of this. A height difference of about 6 inches!
  • colthe3rd said:

Many of our conceded goals come from set pieces where the scorer isn't picked up properly due to the zonal marking policy.
    My point is that it isn't our downfall this season, clearly the lack of goals is.

I don't have a problem with zonal marking but there still seems to be a stigma around it. Bad defending is still bad defending regardless of what system is being used.
  • colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

My point is that it isn't our downfall this season, clearly the lack of goals is.

I don't have a problem with zonal marking but there still seems to be a stigma around it. Bad defending is still bad defending regardless of what system is being used.
    Yes you are correct. I should have said one of our downfalls. I think we'd have more success defending set pieces if we stuck to man marking though. At least then everyone would know their specific job.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2015

colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

Yes you are correct. I should have said one of our downfalls. I think we'd have more success defending set pieces if we stuck to man marking though. At least then everyone would know their specific job.
    Agree with this Brendan to an extent but the problem has been exacerbated with the ball back into the box when a set piece had not been fully cleared. Defenders who have not had a specific man to mark seem to go walkabout like at Brighton and Ipswich away to name but a few.

• To be fair we are highly accomplished at zonal marking. Unfortunately it isn't zones that score goals.
  • Nothing wrong with zonal marking per se (plenty of successful teams have used it in the past) - but you do need to something other than watch when the ball and someone else comes into your zone, this doesn't appear to be a problem with the first ball - but with the second ball and knock ons we appear to be struggling. I would also suggest that our general in effectiveness at dead balls in attacking situations, as well as defensive ones, might suggest that we just don't practice them enough - surely a few sessions of dead balls with attack vs defence would improve matters.
  • Do we now have the coaches who can identify and correct the errors?
  • I thought one of the benefits of zonal marking was that it helps you break quickly if you're trying to play a counter attacking style - which is what I presumed our game plan has become as it's the only rational explanation for us standing off the oppositions players and inviting them to attack us.

If that's the case why do most of our players, perhaps Gudmundson and TBH aside, look petrified when they have to break with the ball ? Wilson in particular seemed to get nosebleeds today when he was in the oppositions half and invariably would pass the ball backwards as a result which is basically the opposite of a counter attack !
  • markmc68 said:

Paul Hart introduced zonal marking at the club because he felt that it would benefit the team like it did when Brian Clough introduced it to Nottingham Forest. The first team and the academy all the way down to the under 9's are all taught to adopt this policy from corner kicks, free kicks and long throw ins. No body seems to get it. There is nobody who attacks the ball in the same way you would if you were contesting the ball with an opponent. Paul Hart has gone so why are we still adopting this alien way and suicidal way of defending. It has cost us dearly this season. The opposition seem to have gained an advantage over our static defence who don't know what their defensive jobs are. What happened to the old days of 'who's marking him'. Moan over.
    Disgruntled and bored Charlton fan.

Nothing to do with zonal or man marking. It's defenders making basic mistakes which they shouldn't be regardless of tactics.
  • se9addick said:

I thought one of the benefits of zonal marking was that it helps you break quickly if you're trying to play a counter attacking style - which is what I presumed our game plan has become as it's the only rational explanation for us standing off the oppositions players and inviting them to attack us

How can we counter attack when from a Brighton corner yesterday we had 11 players in our box marking 5 Brighton players?

• The free kick awarded to Brighton before the goal came because Bikey couldn't resist having a nibble at mackail smith. Who was a constant thorn in our sides throughout the game. Lack of discipline in an important part of the pitch. Peeters was livid with him.
  • We was not using Zonal Marking during games last season so why mention Paul Hart when he left the club during the summer and had nothing to do with the first team.

Peeters and his coaching staff brought this system into the first team this season.

Granted it does not appear to work, but when your keeper comes from a free kick you rely on him to get a hand on it at least. That's what cost us the goal plus the daft challenge from Bikey as well for the free kick.
  • markmc68 said:

The free kick awarded to Brighton before the goal came because Bikey couldn't resist having a nibble at mackail smith. Who was a constant thorn in our sides throughout the game. Lack of discipline in an important part of the pitch. Peeters was livid with him.

Bikeys nibble was no different to the nibble their defender had at the other end moments before. Our problem is we aren't cute enough to get these free kicks. CMS was going nowhere but was running whilst looking at Bikey - as soon as he got touched he went to ground.

• Sponsored links:

• Rubbish Swisdom, the challenge in gudmundson was fair and he went down like a fairy.
  • Paul hart was at bromley addicks meeting about 2 years and he said that the club was adopting zonal marking and a 433 / 451 This would be right throughout the club. From academy to first team. I know he's gone but his style is still in fashion.