Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• bump for Saturday

People may wish to arrive a little earlier to take part
  • I hope we have asked Rotherham for names too...
  • Surely the most poignant death in the past year has been Charlton Athletic Football Club
  • Presume David Whyte will be on the list as a matter of course.
  • Oh wow. I want to put dad in there but didn't plan on having the strength to go to the game this week. I don't know what to do.
  • MrLargo said:

Presume David Whyte will be on the list as a matter of course.

I certainly hope so.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Oh wow. I want to put dad in there but didn't plan on having the strength to go to the game this week. I don't know what to do.

Contact Richard Willgoss to see whether or not there is still time for Saturday.

Richard.Willgoss@cafc.co.uk

Then take it from there dependent on what he says.
  • Thanks LG. I've sent a mail so will wait and see.
  • Sponsored links:

• My short piece on why the annual Valley Tribute this weekend will be close to my heart:

http://rolandsrevolution.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/fond-adieus-but-never-say-goodbye.html
  • edited January 2015

My short piece on why the annual Valley Tribute this weekend will be close to my heart:

http://rolandsrevolution.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/fond-adieus-but-never-say-goodbye.html

Condolences Greg, as you say "live, love, laugh and be happy".

Nice bit of writing too but bumpy tide? : - )
  • My short piece on why the annual Valley Tribute this weekend will be close to my heart:

Nice of writing too but bumpy tide? : - )
    Thanks Henners and serves me right for not checking over it! Amended.

Nice of writing too but bumpy tide? : - )
    Thanks Henners and serves me right for not checking over it! Amended.
    I don't know where you get these clichés from : - )
  • Would be nice for the picture of David Whyte to be shown properly considering the scoreboard failed the last time we tried it.
  • I can't believe I missed this thread considering how frequently I check CL. I had checked last year and seen it was in March so wasn't prepared for it to be so soon. It's really upsetting that I have missed it as my father passed away last May at almost 93.
  • edited February 2015
    Yes I saw his name Henners, a touching tribute for all concerned.
  • Wasn't at the game, so thanks for putting the link up Henry.
  • I only phoned the club on Friday afternoon to see whether I could get my father-in-law's name added to the big screen and Richard managed to do it for me. Things like this makes me very proud of the club. I wasn't expecting him to be able to do it at such short notice. It made my boys were happy to see their grandfather's name scrolling up the big screen.
  • Sponsored links:

• I discovered on Saturday that I had a great Uncle that I didn't know existed, and that he had sadly passed away last year. Apparently him and my Grandad had a falling out in the '50s and didn't really speak much afterwards, so by the time I came along in '75 the two sides of the family weren't in touch. I saw a name with my surname on the screen and mentioned it to my Dad later in the evening, and he said "ah..." and told the tale.

Was a timely way of reminding my kids how ingrained the club is into our family history during these challenging times!

• Liked the 'March 51' touch.

Nice salute to a true gent and to all those that passed.

R.I.P all of you.
  • I was expecting to read that the club had screwed it up, spelt names Belgique, had a power cut, left people out, put it on too late, put it on too early, forgotten all about it anyway or in some other way been entirely inept and out of kilter with the fans.
  • PL54 said:

I was expecting to read that the club had screwed it up, spelt names Belgique, had a power cut, left people out, put it on too late, put it on too early, forgotten all about it anyway or in some other way been entirely inept and out of kilter with the fans.

All these things could have all been a possibility if Roly had been controlling the system linked to the big screen.
  • PL54 said:

I was expecting to read that the club had screwed it up, spelt names Belgique, had a power cut, left people out, put it on too late, put it on too early, forgotten all about it anyway or in some other way been entirely inept and out of kilter with the fans.

I'm afraid PL54, your posts, are becoming more and more boring and predictable.

Every thread, the same old sarcastic, unfunny, nonsense.

It's a pity because you could contribute a lot.
    Sorry about that !

life's a lesson

• There must have been many who smiled when Terry's name appeared, because it instantly connected to us all on CL and with that it connects us all with each other. We were with you at that moment, and we were all stood together, united by a single thought and by a thousand other thoughts, and not a few tears.

We are Charlton.

Indeed it did.

We are Charlton

• JiMMy 85 said:

Couldn't handle the thought of attending but when they agreed to put dad's name up at the last moment, I knew I had to. Was pretty tough, and I did lose it several times, but glad I got to see it. Bittersweet really, after all these years he finally got recognised by the club, but wasn't there to see it!

Jimmy, you are a credit to your old man. I've found the last few weeks very poignant because like you (and many others) it was my dad who first took me, and who I have that bond with. From the sounds of it we may be around the same age, which I am sure makes it very tough for you.

I hope the next few weeks/months go as well as they can for you, and that you continue to get a good level of support. I was glad they put 'March 51' up, as I might not have recognised it myself, not knowing your family name.

We are still all thinking of you at this time