Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The match-day experience - time for a Charlton Life clubhouse?

These days no self-respecting High Street operator is without its on-line offshoot - the so-called bricks and clicks concept.

In the very specific area of Charlton hospitality we regularly read of the struggles of the Oak, the Swan and the Lib and yet the notable CL cyber community is without a real-life home to call its own.

I started out this season at the Lib and have lately enjoyed fine company at Bartram's, but it is not always convenient to come in with the milkman to be sure getting a table/seat.

Please forgive me if this subject has been raised before, but is it not possible to bring all these elements together, for Lifers to find a suitable place to roost (without offence to the other patrons) where keyboard comrades can share some quality philosophical and thirst-quenching time together?

The club has rather ruled itself out for now since Ben Wossname sold off the catering rights to a third party, but maybe in time that could change. In the meantime, is it beyond the bounds of all possibility that one or other of our struggling locals could join forces in some way with CL and open its doors - and not just on match-days, of course - to a locust-like invasion of parched Lifers?

There are other considerations. Accommodation might also be a winner. Many in CAFC's diaspora still have sturdy roots in the tribal homelands, but by no means all do, nor do our new cousins in RD's UEFA Lite organisation. All would be welcome guests not only to witness the 90 minutes of heroics that we all hold so dear but also to savour the true South London experience. (Yes, all right, pause for sarcasm break.) Upwardly-mobile SE7 is shaking off its post-industrial lethargy, and is book-ended by the historic glories of SE10 and those to a slightly lesser degree of SE18. In LCY we have a thriving international and domestic airport right on the door-step, there is Ebbsfleet Eurostar just down the line and in around three years Crossrail will open in Woolwich.

The Waterman's lies holding up the highway Mafia-style, and it's also too late for the Valley, the Victoria and the Horse and Groom. Almost all hostelries - not just the three above-mentioned - currently share a threatened future which isn't going to take care of itself. It's surely now time for all good folk to come to the aid of the Party, or in this case actually to throw a party.

Wherever I lay my iPhone/tablet/scarf/walking-stick - that's my home.

(As well as CL there must be other special-interest groups that could come aboard, such as the Reminiscence folk for example, and in due course the Museum will also have a very important role.)

Comments

• The waiting room at charlton station?
  • Put a boxing ring and a snooker table in it and the attendance would be night on 100%
  • Just show up at the museum with a few cans of cider before a game, Henry has the keys and I'm sure he'll let us in !
  • Only if you're carrying a copy of the Guardian.
  • Will it have a LOL doorbell?
  • Will it have a LOL doorbell?

And some flags
  • I would actually enjoy this.
  • At the risk of sounding tragic I would welcome this as I think my daughter might not renew her season ticket next year. The selfish cow has developed a social life.
  • this Saturday. the royal oak. 12.30. done.
  • Sponsored links:

• make more use of crossbars (but only if they didn't charge to get in)
  • With locals trying to come together to try and buy The Swan I think there could be a possibility in the future for something like this. They are going to need supporting.