Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Igor's Miss

Comments

• Options

You normally have perhaps 1 or 2 of those situations in a whole season - a golden chance to win the game with the last kick. We have had 3 such opportunities in the last 4 home games - sadly George, Bikey & Igor have all fluffed their lines.
    I'm just trying to remember what happened in the other one of those home games.....

There's nothing better than a last minute winner, remember QPR at the beginning of the year.
    Couldn't agree more - the celebration is different scale. If we could have taken just one of those last minute chances I'd be happy. In fact if George had done the necessary, I'd still be smiling now.

• Options
    Gutted about the miss. Was pleased with the backing Igor received but I hope his working on these one on ones. Not the first his missed!
  • Options

The other thing that is maybe not as well known, is that Igor has been ill all week, and hasn't trained, so he was not at his best anyway.

Ah so that is the reason why he didnt start?
    From what I've heard, he wasn't even supposed to be on the bench.

So, in the end, a tremendous effort by the lad.
  • Options
    It clearly bobbled as he was taking the shot but no idea why he was trying to blast it, surely it just needed a side foot past the keeper
  • Options
    Hmmmm, not really a bobble is it?

Just an absolutely horrendous miss.
  • Options
    It does flick up from running smoothly along the pitch Tom ..... Fine margins and all that
    But yes still a disastrous miss !
  • Options
    Gives his all, he is a goal scorer but we need.to revive that confidence asap.
  • Options

that ball does bobble right at the crucial moment and its only fractions but at that speed it can make all the difference

I'd agree with you if that had gone over by six inches, but that one was so high that it appeared on Flight Tracker.
  • Options
    It says in a newspaper that he has been sick all week but insisted he wanted to be on the bench, no training this week, I think I can forgive him even if no one else can
  • Options
    At least he is getting into these positions to score. I've said previously about his early season one on one misses, he tries to blast the ball past the keeper whereas other more experienced accomplished strikers seem to compose themselves and shoot low and close to the keeper and more often than not end up nutmeging them. He is still learning but doesn't seem to favour this option at the moment, more's the pity. :-0
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lack of fitness played a huge part. The defenders were closing in on him sooner than he expected and he had to get his shot away far quicker than he would have liked and from too far out. Because of the distance he had to go for power and it did bobble. However if it wasn't for his overall contribution, we would never have attacked as well as we did.
  • Options
    I think it's worth pointing out that he played really well yesterday. His link-up play was top notch and helped us maintain pretty much constant pressure on the Cardiff goal. Tucudean,too, looked better after Igor came on, so if we can get those two regularly playing together then we may have cause to hope.

That said, it's a horrendous miss.
  • Options
    Maybe the ground staff can sort out that lump in the pitch or tell the players where the lumps in the pitch are. The pitch is a million times better than last year but as the clip with Igor shows not perfect.
  • Options

George last minute against millwall
    Bikey last minute against Blackpool
    Igor last minute against Cardiff.
    3 points instead of 9.
  • Options
    markmc68 said:

3 points instead of 9.

And a last minute defeat in the other home game against Ipswich from defensive mistakes adds another lost point to that tally...
  • Options
    HandG said:

markmc68 said:

3 points instead of 9.

And a last minute defeat in the other home game against Ipswich from defensive mistakes adds another lost point to that tally...
    But then some stolen points off Wigan, Huddersfield and Norwich with late goals so all in all we we've at least had an interesting last five minutes all season
  • Options

Lack of fitness played a huge part. The defenders were closing in on him sooner than he expected and he had to get his shot away far quicker than he would have liked and from too far out. Because of the distance he had to go for power and it did bobble. However if it wasn't for his overall contribution, we would never have attacked as well as we did.

Can't agree with the first part. Lack of fitness has nothing to do with a miss like that, he's a striker, it should be a natural instinct to run on and shoot. He wasn't really rushed either, defenders were nowhere near him and the nearest one didn't even get close enough to attempt a slide in on him to block the shot. It definitely bobbled though so not entirely his fault.
    Agree about his contribution though, definitely can't knock him for his effort.
  • Options
    It is all about fine margins. That is why good goal scorers cost a lot of money. They are the difference between one point and three or one point instead of losing. But that is why it is so frustrating, at the moment, we are close to a top six side. But we need to bring in three to four quality signings, not Delort.
    Getting back to the missed chance by Vetokele, if he was 100 per cent fit and in the middle of a goal scoring run, I am sure he would have buried that chance.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Thank god it was not George who missed, instead of people looking for excuses on here they would be looking for his head.

I think igors previous memorable goal scoring success helps.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I would be interested to see out of the goals he has scored, how many have been with his feet and how many with his head.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

Kap10 said:

Thank god it was not George who missed, instead of people looking for excuses on here they would be looking for his head.

I think igors previous memorable goal scoring success helps.
    I know, someone commented earlier about how some players have a lot of credit in the bank, understandably so. The difference between those with credit and those without was illustrated by the reaction to Igors miss and George's effort cleared off the line, which I mentioned somewhere earlier and the Neanderthal in front of me calling him a f'ing useless c.
  • Options
    I think on more than one occasion Igor has shown a lack of composure when one on one this season.
  • Options

I would be interested to see out of the goals he has scored, how many have been with his feet and how many with his head.

Brentford - head
    Derby - head
    Huddersfield - left foot
    Brighton (2) - right foot, left foot
    Birmingham - head
    Sheff Wed - right foot
    Reading - head

Head - 4
    Feet - 4 (2 right, 2 left)
  • Options

I think on more than one occasion Igor has shown a lack of composure when one on one this season.

And, perhaps, a more meeningful stat, he has only scored once from outside the area.
  • Options

And, perhaps, a more meeningful stat, he has only scored once from outside the area.
    I wonder how many Killer scored from outside the area?

• Options
    Its a bit of random analogy but if I was playing FIFA 15 and I put a striker through on goal like Igor yesterday, Id probably try rounding the keeper to leave an empty net to roll the ball into. Far better chance of success then having a pop at goal when you're still 18 odd yards away....
  • Options
    markmc68 said:

3 points instead of 9.

Callum away to Brentford, when he hit the crossbar in the last minute, players need to work on their composure in front of goal.

• Options

markmc68 said:

3 points instead of 9.

Callum away to Brentford, when he hit the crossbar in the last minute, players need to work on their composure in front of goal.

Wilson shot cleared off the line last minute against Boro...
  • Options

A great bit of play beforehand as George stepped over the ball to allow it run through to Igor.

Buyens stepped over the ball.