Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - 22nd April 1989. Charlton 1 Man Utd 0

edited April 2007 in General Charlton
22nd April 1989. Charlton Athletic 1 (1) (Reid (pen) 7) Manchester United 0 (0). Selhurst Park Att: 12,055

Charlton: Bolder, Humphrey, Reid, Caton, Pates, Peake, R Lee, Williams, Mackenzie, Mortimer, Leaburn. Unused subs: Walsh, Crooks.

Man Utd: Leighton, Duxbury, Donaghy, Bruce, McGrath, Whiteside, Robson, Beardsmore, McClair, Hughes, Milne (Robins 61). Unused sub: Martin.

Referee: K Morton (Suffolk)

Penalty: Awarded against Bruce for pulling back Williams. It was Charltons first penalty of the season. In an earlier match at Selhurst Park the same referee had awarded five penalties in the Palace v Brighton fixture.

United manager Alex Ferguson said after his teams defeat: "Charlton should stay up, They have always played good football even when they have been struggling against relegation for the last three seasons.

Charlton did indeed stay up, Paul Williams top scored with 17 goals. Next best was Rob Lee with 6

Comments

• Options
    Ah that was a good game

Pates and Caton were awesome that day
  • Options
    Wasn't Kelvin Morton the ref Reidy 'bumped into' earlier that season?
  • Options
    Funny enough, last week I came across my ticket for this match - used as a bookmark in an Atlas.

In those days, in the Half Hour Wait stand, many of us used to drink with the players - my Dad was mates with Gritty and Colin Walsh. Players of both teams would be there and, on this occasion, I remember talking to Norman Whiteside, who was out of the United side injured.

Erm, not really a claim to fame, is it?
  • Options
    If someone bet me there were only 12,000 at a Charlton v Man Utd game at Sellhust I'd have lost the bet. United can't have been too hot at the time for that turn out. For some reason I don't remember this game, only the time we beat them 2-0 at Selhurst.
  • Options
    I was at that one.... we should have had another pen that game an all when Mcgrath(i think) booted Morts(i think) in the head and somehow the free kick went the other way..

good day at school on the Monday...
  • Options
    Wow. I was 2 that day, just incase anyone needed to know.
  • Options
    I was ballboy that day! Nearly got flattened when Bryan Robson came hurtling toward the advertising hoarding I was stationed next to.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Alex Wright[/cite]Wasn't Kelvin Morton the ref Reidy 'bumped into' earlier that season?[/quote]

No that was David Axcell in the Norwich away game in January 1987, when the lino and him give a goal against us, when the ball had not gone over the line. Reid and Aizlewood bumped into him knocking him out.
  • Options
    Great game ,i remember we we surging on the aurther waite stand
    (i think thats what it was called
  • Options
    Good day i thought the crowd was bigger than 12000 odd though
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: mascot88[/cite]good day at school on the Monday...

Was living in Worksop at the time - just about everyone in the area were still upset from events up the road the previous weekend.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Charlie Block[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: mascot88[/cite]good day at school on the Monday...

Was living in Worksop at the time - just about everyone in the area were still upset from events up the road the previous weekend.

Fair enough .. tragic obviously.....

it was just good to have some bragging rights.....
  • Options
    David beats Goliath!
  • Options
    I remember my mum being worried after the events the week before, but I said at Charlton I would be able to have a kick around on the terraces as there was so much space.

I seem to remember a minutes silence and the United fans behaved themselves.
  • Options
    To top off a good day was what happened to the Man U supporters train.One of our drivers was shunting the engine to the other end of the train for the return leg in Selhurst Depot and managed to write off the engine and a couple of coaches.I was intending to go the game but was ,just got back to the depot, delayed getting finished.So that put a finish on me getting to the game as I couldn't put my engine away due to the pile of wreckage!
  • Options
    I was a ballboy that day too! A great, & massive win for us. I though the final whistle would never go. The whole team battled their nuts off for those 3 most vital points.

A bad day at the orifice for the then fledgling(at Utd) Fergie!

Fond memories of an ace day all round! :-)
  • Options
    Manchester who?
  • Options
    I was at the front of the Arthur Wait terrace for this one with my younger brother. I knew it was a pen as soon as Paul Williams's shirt was pulled.

I was 10 at the time and couldn't understand why so many Man Utd fans had London accents. How naive was I??
  • Options

Happy birthday!
  • Options

Happy birthday!
    think he has gone back to the hamsters
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mark Reid also scored a perfectly good goal that day. Was disallowed for a high boot although the defender he caught stooped down to head the ball, well below head height.
  • Options
  • Options
    Must be the last time we beat Man Utd?
  • Options

Must be the last time we beat Man Utd?

We beat them 2-0 the following season.

Paul Williams with both. Another excellent afternoon!
  • Options
    As usual the Programme can be seen here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/14353059745

Want to see more Charlton Programmes, then visit

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/sets/