Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Christmas Drinking thread

Comments

• Never really been a big Christmas Day drinker. Christmas Eve in my younger years yes and probably Boxing Day if any nowadays. I class Christmas day as one of the better days in the calendar so can't really see the point of letting it pass me by in a haze of cheap fizz, premium lager, and vomit!
  • edited December 2014
    Champagne at 10.30am, white wine until 11pm, then whisky until I can't see properly, at which point I go to bed. I have followed this regime for the last 18 years because it is the routine followed by the in-laws and I don't want to appear rude.
  • Just finished some of the wrapping presents and have now cracked open a bottle of Port. Lovely stuff.

Xmas morning I'll have a glass of bucks fizz then get on the lagers.
  • Rarely drink indoors. Doubt that will change on any days over Xmas.
  • Don't like champagne much so just tea in the morning. Having walk on beach with dogs in morning so a small port from hip flask to keep warm. Back home for some top notch Rioja then a brandy or two in the evening. Beer probably won't feature but a gin and tonic may fill a gap.
  • Usually a bit hungover from the night before so water, OJ and tea until after church then perhaps some ales or cold bottles of lager prior to lunch. A couple of glasses of wine with lunch then back on the beers for presents, board games and TV. Maybe a Scotch or two later in the evening if I'm feeling it. I'll also have a couple of glasses of Coca Cola to space it out during the course of the day.
  • Sherry as soon as we've finished with the pressie opening followed by a nice malt scotch and a movie before I get down to cooking lunch, generally fortified by another scotch. White wine (a nice Pouilly fune)and prosecco with lunch which we eat around 1300 then another scotch or twelve throughout the rest of the day and maybe a little Archers during the evening. Whiskies of choice this year are Ardmore (the only Peaty mainland malt), Jura (prophecy expression) and a stonking Talisker that Santa is allegedly bringing (I know this cos I bought it on my own booze cruise a couple of weeks ago)
  • 40 bottles of cider chilling in fridge shouldn't need to go to offie until boxing day morn
  • 40 bottles of cider chilling in fridge shouldn't need to go to offie until boxing day morn

ha, got my 40 beers last night and i speculate the last one will probably be drunk in September 15 !

• Stig said:

I took a booze cruise to Cite Europe yesterday in search of some quality French and Belgian beers. I've got the following lined up: St Sylvestre 3 Monts 8.5%, Pauwel Kwak 8.4%, Ch'ti Triple 8.3%, Maredsous Abbaye-Abdij 10%, La Trappe Quadrupel 10%, and three types of Chimay. If those aren't doing the trick and I need to step things up a little I've got Bush Amber at 12%. If it's all too much and I need to slow down a little I've got Pelforth Brune at 6.5%. Best of all though, and something I've been saving for a while now, is a couple of bottles of Fullers Vintage 2006, 8.5%. Yesterday I had LaChoette Ambree, 9%. It is the best beer I've tasted this year, If anyone is going to France I'd thoroughly recommend bringing yourself a few bottles back.

All those percentages made me think I was reading oohaah's post match comments there for a second. I'm a big fan of the European beers. We're all going out for Xmas lunch and I think the pub we're going to do a pale ale, which I have been getting into a lot recently.

• Sponsored links:

• My second Christmas as a teetotaller so will be keeping warm with gallons of tea.
  • Tea and scotch, when I get up a few Savannah dry's and 3 bottles of red, then a bottle of port, after lunch whatever tickles my fancy.
  • edited December 2014
    Bucks Fizz, red wine (malbec), lager (few BrewDog & Meantime in the fridge), more red wine, more lager, port, whiskey. In that order.

Probably a trip at some point to the pub in my village, here in sunny Bedfordshire.

Merry Christmas all!
  • Some of you are absolute beasts!

I always go out and get leathered Christmas eve so don't feel like looking at a drop of alcohol on Christmas day let alone some of the monster sessions you mentalists are describing! Used to go down the pub for a few hours but stopped that when they started only opening for an hour.

Now will try very hard not to get blitzed tonight and get my monies worth tomorrow
  • Badger said:

Due to a back injury i am taking Co-Codamol as pain relief so i shall be on the Water.

I take up to ten 30/500 co codamol every day to ease the pain of my ankylosing spondylitis and drink heavily, you'll be fime mate
  • Carter said:

Some of you are absolute beasts!

I always go out and get leathered Christmas eve so don't feel like looking at a drop of alcohol on Christmas day let alone some of the monster sessions you mentalists are describing! Used to go down the pub for a few hours but stopped that when they started only opening for an hour.

Now will try very hard not to get blitzed tonight and get my monies worth tomorrow

Know what you mean, Christmas Eve used to be a proper night out that started from finishing work at 12.30 and only interupted with the shower and shave pub close between 5-7. It then had to be quickly shaken off the next morning to make the traditional family lunchtime trip to the pub.

Now we take the kids to a church nativity on Xmas Eve afternoon so i can only neck a couple of pints at lunchtime after work, and that's it really until tomorrow. Must say, kids or no kids, Xmas Day is much more enjoyable without a hangover.

• Bexleyheath pub crawl to nurse the traditional Xmas eve Zingara Peroni hangover...

usually Lion, Wrong un, Rose and then back to the the Wrong un.

Walk back to my mums with my grandad (both sloshed) - champers and more beer. Wolf the dinner down and finish of my grandads untouched grub..... fall asleep next to the old legend on the settee with xmas cracker hat still on!

Wake up at about 7pm with a raging head ache! Argue with the mrs and then reluctently watch a film with her whilst trying to keep my eyes open
  • JWADDICK said:

Personally I dont "do" Christmas, no point as I'm on my own so it will just be the normal day for me, a large JD for brekkie (about 11 o'clock) then down the pub for several pints of lager and more JD. back home to an ASDA turkey dinner for one and a couple of bottles of red then back down the pub for the evening. Boxing day - repeat above.

Thats one hell of a normal day.

I dont go in for a days drinking and eating early on Christmas day.
    2 cups of tea and some toast to start the day
    Might wonder up the Black Horse or Ye Old White Lion in Locksbottom about one if we are all done and ready in time.
    Glass or two of Champagne with lunch. Followed with half a bottle of desert wine.
    A few bottles of various ales in the evening and maybe a glass or two of a single malt to end the day.
  • Wake up at 5.30... Bottle of bucks fizz by 7 and proceed to cane about 20 pints across the day. Red wine with dinner, amaretto after. I love Christmas me!
  • Sponsored links:

• JWADDICK said:

Personally I dont "do" Christmas, no point as I'm on my own so it will just be the normal day for me, a large JD for brekkie (about 11 o'clock) then down the pub for several pints of lager and more JD. back home to an ASDA turkey dinner for one and a couple of bottles of red then back down the pub for the evening. Boxing day - repeat above.

Thats one hell of a normal day.

I dont go in for a days drinking and eating early on Christmas day.
    2 cups of tea and some toast to start the day
    Might wonder up the Black Horse or Ye Old White Lion in Locksbottom about one if we are all done and ready in time.
    Glass or two of Champagne with lunch. Followed with half a bottle of desert wine.
    A few bottles of various ales in the evening and maybe a glass or two of a single malt to end the day.
    CK I have to confess to being a little tongue in cheek! What the Hell? It's Christmas and I am feeling somewhat inadequate reading some of the session stories on this thread. Anyhow drunk/sober or somewhere in between, Merry Christmas lifers and here's to three points on Boxing Day.
  • I think and start now and carry on until 4th Jan! Let the long holiday commence!
  • I think and start now and carry on until 4th Jan! Let the long holiday commence!

Why let it end then ? Drink (lots) and be merry !!
  • Tucked away a few too many tonight already. Oh ear.
    Be back on it 2mo though
  • *oh dear, not oh ear
  • So, who are the dedicated drinkers who've started already and who are the lightweights?

I'm, still in the lightweight camp. Just a coffee for me so far.
  • Just tea so far, Bailey's in about 30 mins
  • Bucks fizz just about to get it
  • Stig said:

So, who are the dedicated drinkers who've started already and who are the lightweights?

I'm, still in the lightweight camp. Just a coffee for me so far.

Finished at 3.15 sipping Armagnac with the old man. Just had breakfast with a Bucks Fizz and about to crack open the first of my real ale selection.