Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Blackburn Rovers v Charlton Athletic Match Thread 20/12/14

Afternoon all.
Afternoon Red if you're able to look in buddy.
Massive respect to all the travelling Addicks at Ewood park.
Note of caution, if there is a stream I will decamp there.
However that may not happen and if so I will update as usual, preferably from the Rovers perspective, and maybe others can access the Charlton perspective and update on a rota from there. Prague suggested claiming a time slot to do so.
If there aren't enough of us to update continually from Finchy, and if there isn't a stream, then I will update from the Finchy feed throughout the match.
Apologies in advance for my typos and slowness.

Comments

• Options
    Same first XI as last weekend. COYR
  • Options
    Surprised after his game on Monday that Church not even on the bench
  • Options

Surprised after his game on Monday that Church not even on the bench

I've got a fairly good idea why he's not on the bench.
  • Options
    Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial 9m9 minutes ago
    Charlton: Pope; Gomez, Fox, Ben Haim, Bikey-Amougou; Buyens, Solly ©, Cousins, Gudmundsson; Harriott, Vetokele.

Charlton subs: Etheridge, Wilson, Onyewu, Bulot, Pigott, Tucudean, Ahearne-Grant. #CAFCLive
  • Options
    Blackburn Rovers ‏@OneRovers 8m8 minutes ago
    ROVERS: Steele, Baptiste, Hanley, Duffy, Olsson, Tunnicliffe, Lowe, Evans, Marshall, Gestede, Rhodes.

Subs: Eastwood, Kilgallon, King, Dunn, Varney, Williamson, Conway.
  • Options
    Solly still in midfield then?
  • Options
    I think there are not enough of us on Match Thread who actually have commentary access, and who actually feel competent to do what Red (and Seth) do so well.

But I'll try and chip in more than usual.

Afternoon, Red, hope you are comfortable mate.
  • Options
    That's quite an attacking bench that we have

• Options
    Bob seems to be confident his idea of Solly in midfield can work. That didn't seem like the majority opinion last weekend.
  • Options
    Solly played in that position for the U-18's several times, pretty well, too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2014
    IMO Solly was fine in midfield last weekend, especially considering it's the first time I can remember him playing there in the first team.
  • Options
    Disappointed to see Solly in mid
  • Options

Bob seems to be confident his idea of Solly in midfield can work. That didn't seem like the majority opinion last weekend.

Evidentally BP thinks that Solly can do the pressing and ball winning in CM.

Perhaps it'll work better in a compact 'away from home' defensive formation?
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

That's quite an attacking bench that we have

It's what we are down to, isn't it? I can't think of an available senior player other than Church, who isn't selected, presuming Moussa, another attacking player, is still injured. I believe we "sold" our most experienced remaining defender this week...

• Options

Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial 9m9 minutes ago
    Charlton: Pope; Gomez, Fox, Ben Haim, Bikey-Amougou; Buyens, Solly ©, Cousins, Gudmundsson; Harriott, Vetokele.

Charlton subs: Etheridge, Wilson, Onyewu, Bulot, Pigott, Tucudean, Ahearne-Grant. #CAFCLive

We've copyrighted Solly?

Wonder what Cousins thinks of a right back playing in his preferred position?
  • Options
    Solly was lost in midfield and I thought we played very poorly against a poor Blackpool side using the new formation, too many players out of position
  • Options
    Might chip in today, if there's no stream.
  • Options

But played much much better, in fact almost perfectly week in week out at PROFESSIONAL level. If it ain't broke don't fix it.. unless there's a real NEED to play him in midfield, keep him to defence.
  • Options
    Surprised no changes, let's see how it goes.

Think @Addickted2TheReds‌ said he was happy to chip in on the commentary as well. Cheers chaps.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I seem to be one of the few that thought he did OK in midfield last week
  • Options
    Solly did ok but in my opinion he shouldn't be playing there or more to the point we shouldn't be playing that formation.
    I might be proved wrong and Solly could be our new midfield secret weapon but i doubt it very much.
  • Options
    I know where boggzy is coming from as I thought he grew into the role. Solly is a footballer with such a good attitude he got into it, just as he did with that extended spell playing left back.
    Rather Solly than Bulot.
  • Options
    I thought Solly did well in midfield. My concern is what does this do to the confidence of our midfielders on the bench when Peeters would rather play a right back than them.
  • Options
    It's not an ideal formation at all, I grant you. It's a strange situation at the moment. Can't see where the goals are going to come from, other than a moment from Cousins, or a penalty such as last week. Again, I hope I'm wrong.
  • Options
    Quite a big call by bob to go in unchanged given how poor we played. Limited options to be fair but still a lot of square pegs in round holes. If we get stuffed/play poorly there will be questions asked no doubt. Let's hope it comes off.
  • Options

Surprised no changes, let's see how it goes.

Think @Addickted2TheReds‌ said he was happy to chip in on the commentary as well. Cheers chaps.

Yep, no problem. If there's no stream, I'll do it.

From the last time I did it who could forget this incredible moment of beautiful commentary from yours truly ...

"Ben Haim has it, Veto, Ben haim, Guddy, Veto, Cuz, Gud, Moussa shoots GOAAAAAAALLLLLLLL"

Nothing on RM tho :-(
  • Options

But played much much better, in fact almost perfectly week in week out at PROFESSIONAL level. If it ain't broke don't fix it.. unless there's a real NEED to play him in midfield, keep him to defence.
    Agreed. Gomez played recently in midfield for the U-21's, by the way, and Cousins often played right back for them.
  • Options
    boggzy said:

I seem to be one of the few that thought he did OK in midfield last week

He's 'ok' in midfield... but truly outstanding at right back. I can see why Bob opted for the shape/tactics he tried but leaving Solly in defence and playing Wilson in Solly's eventual role would have made more sense to me, although perhaps it is leadership qualities rather than playing ability that lead to Bob's decision. Either way, big call after a disappointing performance with the exact same team.
  • Options
    Solly was not lost in midfield at all last time. Played absolutely fine defensively and going forward
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!