Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Subs on pitch at half time

Am I the only person who wonders why the subs all warm up on the pitch at half time rather than being in the changing room with the rest of the team?
Surely they would benefit from hearing from the players and whatever plan the manager has for the rest of the game?

Comments

• Am I the only person who wonders why the subs all warm up on the pitch at half time rather than being in the changing room with the rest of the team?
    Surely they would benefit from hearing from the players and whatever plan the manager has for the rest of the game?

Any instructions are given to the sub before they come on. Stay out on the pitch, plenty of touches of the ball, stay warmed up etc.
  • I agree fishy, always struck me as weird that they don't listen to the team talk so they can seamlessly fit in if called on.
  • bbob said:

I agree fishy, always struck me as weird that they don't listen to the team talk so they can seamlessly fit in if called on.

Tactics often change later in the game so I'm not sure the team talk would be hugely relevant to the subs.
  • not needed now the pitch has been sorted
  • Changing rooms not big enough?
  • as a sub, if you've been sitting on a bench watching the game for 45 minutes, the last thing you wanna do is go sit in a changing room.
  • They aren't hyperactive kids though are they (are they?) - they shouldn't just need a run around cos they are bored!
    Plus the view of the match from the dugout is poor so you don't really get a good view of what is happening in the game.
    There must be a logic to it somewhere as all teams seem to do it - never seen it at lower levels though.
  • They aren't hyperactive kids though are they (are they?) - they shouldn't just need a run around cos they are bored!

They're not running around because they are bored.

They are limbering up in case they need to come on.

• I reckon they should liven half time up a bit and have a game of headers and volleys. Top scorer gets to be first sub to come on.
  • They're out there for our entertainment. Better than watching the silly dancing queens in the corner............
  • Sponsored links:

• Could be as simple as that! Wondering if the opera singers will turn up this year for a Christmas medley now or maybe Roland will bring Plastic Bertrand out of retirement for a rousing chorus of Ca Plane Pour Moi
  • Stone said:

I reckon they should liven half time up a bit and have a game of headers and volleys. Top scorer gets to be first sub to come on.

Cheeky game of pig, loser stands in front of the North Stand with the others taking aim.
  • Struck me as a bit odd at Forest on Saturday, that Wilson was out at halftime when he had been on since Jackson went off after 20mins.
  • edited December 2014
    I've only just noticed this happening again. Certainly hasn't been the case for quite some years with Charlton players.

In the premier league days, it was far more very common.

If I was a professional sportsmen who ran for a living, then I'd want to be warming up, stretching etc as much as possible. Rather than sitting for 45 minutes, and then walking to dressing room to sit down for another 15 minutes.
  • Don't know why they don't have a little match between the 2 sets of subs!
  • Nug said:

Don't know why they don't have a little match between the 2 sets of subs!

Great idea provided it was two touch and no tackling with jumpers for goalposts . :-)
    Plus the view of the match from the dugout is poor so you don't really get a good view of what is happening in the game.
    There must be a logic to it somewhere as all teams seem to do it - never seen it at lower levels though.

They do it at lower levels
  • I noticed on Saturday against Forest that Wilson was playing on the pitch at half time with one of the coaches, which seemed odd considering he had already come on for Jackson
  • ross1 said:

I noticed on Saturday against Forest that Wilson was playing on the pitch at half time with one of the coaches, which seemed odd considering he had already come on for Jackson

Practice makes perfect. Well maybe back to 'alright' first eh?
  • Sponsored links:

They do it at lower levels
    yeah, even seen it for non league reserve teams
  • They do virtually naff all during the so-called warm up anyway. Standing about with hands in pocket kicking the ball half-heartedly to each other. It does nothing for their warming up and readiness to play so they may as well be in the changing room hearing what Bob has to say.
  • If you look carefully, you will rarely see a senior player out there at halftime. (Bulot, Tucudean etc.) It is usually younger subs, or even young players who aren't even on the bench. (Munns is almost always on the pitch before kick off doing sprints, even if he isn't on the bench.) If a senior player is on the pitch at halftime, they are usually with a member of the coaching staff, doing proper warm ups, because they are about to come on as a half time substitution. The kids kicking the ball about at half time is probably more to do with getting them used to the atmosphere of a large, full(-ish!) Stadium.