Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bexley Strategy 2018.

2»

Comments

• But won't those same comparative problems manifest itself in Greenwich, and most other London boroughs though Ken? that's the point I'm getting at (and where property prices will be 20-30% higher)
  • Oggy Red said:

Jints said:

Whitehall funding for local government has been cut by about a third since 2010. And another third needs to come off it in the next Parliament apparently.

I'm afraid that we are going to see a lot more of this kind of sell off.

Short term cash benefit.
    Permanent loss of public amenity.

Very worrying.

Agreed. Seems a very short term approach. Surely it'll only perpetuate the problem. Mind you councils certainly know how to waste their money.
    This in spades. I've worked in public, private and charity sectors, and the waste in the public sector is shocking, really. They could do things so much more efficiently rather than take the drastic action they seem to be doing these days.
  • Not always the case mate.
    In Bexley you have the selective test so people like me and you who have twins have to for practical issues wish to send our children to the same school, for all sorts of day to day issues. You have twins and they have to both pass the exam, and then get 'adjusted' because they were born in September, and one passes and the other just fails..... That is the way it works, or did.
    Now that is the way that these 'cost cutting, outsourcing ideas work.. I am no great disciple of Greenwich council or as they like to be called RBG but like the council's social services assessment that takes 6 months for an 80 odd year old to deliver a care package for a resident, of 30 odd years living in the only Alm's houses in Bexley Village. As I stated I made a choice to move here from Greenwich, or Blackheath which is now Lewisham, or the part I lived in. We used to pay a thing called rates, and they were more expensive in Greenwich and Lewisham, and you could access more community services, In Bexley you got cheaper rates and less services, seems as though you may well be getting sweet FA if this continues, at least the likes of people like myself, and probably your good self. Outsourcing your services does not mean you have no responsibility to your community....... the very people that you apparently work for....... Sermon over....... for today
  • Was any of these proposals in the Tory manfesto at the last council elections in May?
  • And I moved here to get away from over development in Greenwich...
  • I love Bexley as a borough, lived there pretty much all my life, and perhaps i view it through blinkered / loyal eyes.

But i just don't seem to see the negative things that others do. When weighing up its position and cost of housing, I think it offers tremendous value when compared to other London boroughs.

Which is why I did specify Bexley Village, as I have lived there for some time. I am glad for you that you enjoy living where you do, I wish I did!. What concerns me though is that these proposals are going to affect the daily life of resident's. Of course the resident's of Camden Road area will be okay, like Cllr Campbell, they will go to private prep schools, and with there private health insurance not have to wait a week for a doctor's appointment, or wait 6 month's for an assessment for an 88 year old living in an Alm's house for support through social services, because they will pay for private nursing and support services. ( cleaning and food prep). Of course it is at the end of the day 'a choice'.... a choice that some of us have, if we have the financial, or support network which these cost cutting measures are proposed at. Personally, it is an easy choice for me, I go back to where I came from......
    Ouch! I live in the Camden Road area Ken!

I do hear you though, but like AFKA I've grown up in Bexley and lived here all of my life. I think I'd only move away if I had to relocate for work.

Bexley is one of the safest Boroughs in London (even though Slade Green and Erith come under the Bexley remit (JOKE!!)), and it's a pretty decent place to live and I'm happy to bring my children up here (even though they do go to private school). ;o)
  • I love Bexley as a borough, lived there pretty much all my life, and perhaps i view it through blinkered / loyal eyes.

But i just don't seem to see the negative things that others do. When weighing up its position and cost of housing, I think it offers tremendous value when compared to other London boroughs.

Which is why I did specify Bexley Village, as I have lived there for some time. I am glad for you that you enjoy living where you do, I wish I did!. What concerns me though is that these proposals are going to affect the daily life of resident's. Of course the resident's of Camden Road area will be okay, like Cllr Campbell, they will go to private prep schools, and with there private health insurance not have to wait a week for a doctor's appointment, or wait 6 month's for an assessment for an 88 year old living in an Alm's house for support through social services, because they will pay for private nursing and support services. ( cleaning and food prep). Of course it is at the end of the day 'a choice'.... a choice that some of us have, if we have the financial, or support network which these cost cutting measures are proposed at. Personally, it is an easy choice for me, I go back to where I came from......

I do hear you though, but like AFKA I've grown up in Bexley and lived here all of my life. I think I'd only move away if I had to relocate for work.

Bexley is one of the safest Boroughs in London (even though Slade Green and Erith come under the Bexley remit (JOKE!!)), and it's a pretty decent place to live and I'm happy to bring my children up here (even though they do go to private school). ;o)
    Dads in Camden Rd and that's where I grew up. Think there are a few Addicks in and around there.
  • edited December 2014

the planning situation in this country is currently a mess. We, a small village in East Sussex, are currently fighting off the first proposed development of many. This development is for 55 houses but if approved will open the floodgates. There are 9 other sites already identified. Our village could double in size. It's madness.

With an ever rising population, where do you think these people should live?

Dads in Camden Rd and that's where I grew up. Think there are a few Addicks in and around there.
    We do too and agree its a fairly safe place to live. With regards to the comment about drunks in the village, I started drinking there nearly 30 years ago and it always used to kick off back then. If anything, it was worse.
  • Sponsored links:

We do too and agree its a fairly safe place to live. With regards to the comment about drunks in the village, I started drinking there nearly 30 years ago and it always used to kick off back then. If anything, it was worse.
    Dave, I'll be in the Kings Head later if you fancy a punch up??
  • We are back to the "UK is overpopulated" discussion again.

This is why UKIP are on a roll and the other parties are losing ground.

We need to build 200,000+ new homes a year to keep up with demand for housing.

In Gravesend, the planning inspectorate has ordered the council to build 6000+ homes every year until 2028, up 50% from the submitted plan of 4000+ per year.

In Slough, the council has detected 6000 illegal "beds in sheds" which are being rented out for around £750 a month by homeowners.

Are there are too many people (of all types/colours/religions/football allegiances) on this island already, and is it going to get worse if action is not taken to halt the population growth?

The Government may tell us all kinds of figures about population/economy/transport usage etc, but the simple test is - Does it feel too crowded to you ?

Maybe it's about lack of money, but Camp Bastion was costing £15m A DAY to run - a terrible waste in many ways, but where is that money going now ?

The General Election is in May 2015, ask the questions that you want answered, and use your vote to shape the UK for the future.

In Gravesend, the planning inspectorate has ordered the council to build 6000+ homes every year until 2028, up 50% from the submitted plan of 4000+ per year.

In Slough, the council has detected 6000 illegal "beds in sheds" which are being rented out for around £750 a month by homeowners.

Are there are too many people (of all types/colours/religions/football allegiances) on this island already, and is it going to get worse if action is not taken to halt the population growth?

The Government may tell us all kinds of figures about population/economy/transport usage etc, but the simple test is - Does it feel too crowded to you ?

Maybe it's about lack of money, but Camp Bastion was costing £15m A DAY to run - a terrible waste in many ways, but where is that money going now ?

The General Election is in May 2015, ask the questions that you want answered, and use your vote to shape the UK for the future.

If you look at those maps produced which show a country's size in relation to it's density of population, we are absolutley bulging! Especially London and the south east.
  • Can't say that I agree with all of the Bexley Village bashing. As someone that still lives there, I think it's a great place to live. We've looked at moving several times to different towns/villages and struggled to find somewhere that we like as much (within our price range at least, I could probably settle in Hampstead Village if forced).

If you look at those maps produced which show a country's size in relation to it's density of population, we are absolutley bulging! Especially London and the south east.
    It's not that most people are desperate to work and live in the Scottish Highlands.

• It really is only the South and South East of England that is the problem in regards to overcrowding. I spent 8 months living in the west of Scotland last year and they have no concept of the sort of overcrowding we live with (out of choice) every day. A trip to Braehead, the equivalent of Bluewater for the west side of Glasgow demonstrated that to me. Whilst busy of course for pre Christmas and a weekend, in no way did I feel the same pressure with crowds and traffic that you just get on with and grudgingly accept in our part of the country. I just could not convince them that in all my years of commuting from the Medway Towns, the 05.10 from Strood was more or less bang on full to the rafters by Woolwich Arsenal only 45 minutes later.

The redistribution of our population and resources can only come about by government action. I as you may of noticed am naturally right of centre politically and shy away from any overt form of political interference in our everyday lives but I can only see the problem being however way resolved by legislation and planning in central and regional government. Otherwise I envisage our little south eastern corner of England eventually becoming one mega city by the mid 21st century.

With reference to artistes du pissoir, try Bromley Town Centre of an evening..... It's not pleasant. But then again, it's no better (or worse) than Bexley, Bexleyheath, Eltham - or pretty much anywhere. Someone, somewhere please bring back a decent Saturday night's entertainment on the telly so people might actually want to stay in......

Hit a bit of a nerve there eh Brendan?
    Drink at the King's head even?
    More of a 'coach and horses man' myself as the local football club guys get in there.
    Might come down,( to the KH) and you can try and persuade me of the virtues.. I will be in black wearing a trust badge?
    Martin Frost still drink in there?

More of a 'coach and horses man' myself
    Always thought you were Millwall....

:-)

More of a 'coach and horses man' myself
    Always thought you were Millwall....

:-)

That is because I normally go in there with the football team...... most are West-ham and Chelsea anyway, most of that lot you mentioned went into that place under the arches. We shall see if Brendan comes eh.
  • Sponsored links:

• See you in there tonight Ken
  • Shag said:

See you in there tonight Ken

6pm okay....

Hit a bit of a nerve there eh Brendan?
    Drink at the King's head even?
    More of a 'coach and horses man' myself as the local football club guys get in there.
    Might come down,( to the KH) and you can try and persuade me of the virtues.. I will be in black wearing a trust badge?
    Martin Frost still drink in there?
    Nice boozer the C&H.

To be honest Ken, I'm usually in the Anchor away from the village, but the Kings Head is alright. I don't mind Millers but it can get a bit rowdy on a weekend.

The George is full of tossers and the Railway Tavern stinks.

I'm far too old for Bar Lorca.

Wish the Old Mill was still there though as that was a favourite.
  • Shag said:

6pm okay.... Anchor is my local.... you decide...... Quiz night tonight eh!
    Perhaps we ought to form a Bexley village branch of CAFC ?
  • Shag said:

There would have to be a strict admission policy though. We can't allow any old riff raff to join!
  • Bit early for me Ken , I'll be more like 8 bells , school play first
  • Shag said:

There would have to be a strict admission policy though. We can't allow any old riff raff to join!
    I would not call Afka 'riff raff'....... but I know what you mean. I will see if we can hold out till 8pm Shag......
    what part is your kid playing..... Old Bexley primary I guess?
    I have a few stories about the PTA, and the governing body of that school to tell.
  • PL54 said:

Why are so many houses having to be built anyway ?

Agreed, and so many bloody threads on it as well;-)
  • sorry guys went to the pubs no one there.....