Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ordering of wine

Comments

• Aldi do a lovely Merlot, Adura it's called, and bloody cheap.
  • Majestic are excellent and nice to be able to go somewhere where the staff are knowledgeable.

I did the Berry Bros wine tasting before too. What an excellent place and steeped in history. Loved hearing the storey of how people used to go there to be weighed. I think it was Lord Byron whom they mention put on an extraordinary amount of weight but in the notes wrote 'mud on coat' as an explanation.
  • Anyone know where I can buy some peneau des charente in the Bromley area?

Love it but only see it in France.

Not doorstep but you can get it in Greenwich for 16 quid a bottle I think. Well you could last time I went, give them a bell first.

Support your local independents

http://www.theatreofwine.com/index.htm
  • edited December 2014

Anyone know where I can buy some peneau des charente in the Bromley area?

I might have a bottle or two laying down.

Not your usual Carrefore rubbish though

Try Amazon
  • edited December 2014

Pineau is available via Amazon if you're stuck.but we have a spare bottle if you would like to buy it? Can bring it up Saturday. Message me x

Big fan of Pineau. If you're up town, the wine shop on Old Compton Street usually has it
  • Or you could just mix two bottles of Bordeaux with half a bottle of Cognac and give iIt a stir.

looks like Tesco have been stocking it - £40 a pop though.....

http://www.vinoreview.co.uk/review/Pineau-Des-Charentes-Blanc-75cl.html

Not Bromley Henners, but Berry Bros do sell it (£29.95 a bottle).
  • TelMc32 said:

£30?!

Or £12.25 here http://www.drinksoffrance.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?products_id=168
  • Sponsored links:

• Seing as this thread is taking off in various directions...what do you make of this?

A lot of you will know M&S Oudinot champagne, been their house champagne for years. In their stores out here, their Cuvee is on sale for £28. Imagine my surprise when I found it on sale in Albert ( a Dutch chain). Exactly the same bottle. The price? £14. Gleefully I snapped up a few bottles. I assumed some gangsters hijacked an M&S truck.

A couple of weeks ago I had lunch with the local director of M&S, (a Brit), so I asked him about this. "Oh", he said "we looked into that of course. It is second or third grade grapes. We weren't too happy with the vineyard, but anyone with a good palate can taste the difference"

But I swear, the labels are identical. Surely the vineyard can't do that?

Anyway I'm getting a few people round for a blind taste test!
  • Not sure about duty in Czech Republic, but Oudinot is often on offer here in M&S for £15 a bottle.
  • Seing as this thread is taking off in various directions...what do you make of this?

A lot of you will know M&S Oudinot champagne, been their house champagne for years. In their stores out here, their Cuvee is on sale for £28. Imagine my surprise when I found it on sale in Albert ( a Dutch chain). Exactly the same bottle. The price? £14. Gleefully I snapped up a few bottles. I assumed some gangsters hijacked an M&S truck.

A couple of weeks ago I had lunch with the local director of M&S, (a Brit), so I asked him about this. "Oh", he said "we looked into that of course. It is second or third grade grapes. We weren't too happy with the vineyard, but anyone with a good palate can taste the difference"

But I swear, the labels are identical. Surely the vineyard can't do that?

Anyway I'm getting a few people round for a blind taste test!

I'm free, PA !

• edited December 2014
    You only need one simple equation for buying wine:

Max (X) where X = (A x V)/P

(A = alcohol by volume (ABV), V = volume of bottle (in ml) and P = price of bottle)

• Bloomin' 'eck, that Tesco Pineau is a bit pricey! I was going to offer my bottle of Chateau Orignac for £12! Perhaps I bought the cheapo stuff .
  • Tesco wine I find pretty awful these days in store. Not too bad online, especially as they match the in store 6 bottles for 25% when it's on. Still they aren't the cheapest, and you won't get many of the interesting wines from producers. Online Morrisons have caught my eye more in recent years. Both Lidl and Aldi are great if you want good examples of regional wines: much better than Tescos in recent years.

Berry Brothers are far from the cheapest of wine merchants. I occasionally use them, but would love to do a tasting there. I prefer Justerini & Brooks, less pretence.

The Wine Society are generally the best quality per £ I've bought. Yes you can get it cheaper, but that neglects you pay the same bottle price as the equivalent bottle price for a case of 6/12. Sometimes the case buy prices of winemerchants are tiresome, if you don't want to buy 12 of the same.

A good place to start is somwhere where there is an enomatic machine. In these machines they can keep the bottle fresh for weeks, and hence you can ususally taste more fine wine. Waitrose has one at Bluewater. Jancis Robinson, who's a reliable wine writer recommends well both shops and wine:

http://www.jancisrobinson.com/articles/london-for-wine-lovers

As for independents I've always been happy with Theatre of Wine in Greenwich. Yes a little bit pricier but well selected wines, that get into the recommended/outstanding selections in Decanter magasine.
  • I only drink Bollinger so I wouldn't know.
  • edited December 2014
    This guy is my cousin in law (http://www.offlicencenews.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/14468/Oddbins_finds_2014_s_top_amateur_taster.html)

He liked his wine so started getting involved in some competitions and is now getting quite a reputation for it.

He has his own website (http://www.thewinerebel.com/) and responds to requests for wine to match food, recommendations etc (via his facebook page) I think.

EDIT - it seems his website needs some work.
  • edited December 2014

TelMc32 said:

£30?!

Or £12.25 here http://www.drinksoffrance.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?products_id=168
    Cheers. WIll check out Amazon too

Pineau is available via Amazon if you're stuck.but we have a spare bottle if you would like to buy it? Can bring it up Saturday. Message me x

Very kind offer but I couldn't deprive you of your Pineau.
    Addickted said:

Or you could just mix two bottles of Bordeaux with half a bottle of Cognac and give iIt a stir.

you uncouth barbarian

anyway sounds like there is scope for a Charlton Life wine tasting evening at the museum (that will get a few trolls and class warriors frothing at the mouth)
  • Riviera does your brothers website do online ordering. I like the sound of his NZ Sav?
  • Sponsored links:

• I'll ask him in a minute, he's just about to deliver a boat load of Presecco to The Long Pond.
  • Wife is a member of the Virgin wine club, she pays around 90 pound per delivery (12 bottles) never had a dodgy bottle since she joined.

Didn't consummate the marriage then?

Lots of girl I know would drop their knickers after 1 glass of wine, let alone 12 bottles
    Ha, Ha, I fell for that one, Mrs H found it amusing anyway.
  • I'm a fan of the Wine Society. The quality is generally better than anywhere else - I can count on one hand the bumber of poor bottles I've had in 20 years and every time I've had a no quibble refund.

Majestic is pretty good but the selection is a bit limited/conservative. Oddbids is more interesting but quite expensive.

• anyway sounds like there is scope for a Charlton Life wine tasting evening at the museum (that will get a few trolls and class warriors frothing at the mouth)

Count me in, Henry
  • TelMc32 said:

£30?!

Addickted said:

Or you could just mix two bottles of Bordeaux with half a bottle of Cognac and give iIt a stir.

you uncouth barbarian

anyway sounds like there is scope for a Charlton Life wine tasting evening at the museum (that will get a few trolls and class warriors frothing at the mouth)
    all bring a bottle and we can taste

I'll bring a Lambrini
  • Jeez, how much do some of you drink !!
  • Swisdom said:

TelMc32 said:

£30?!

Addickted said:

you uncouth barbarian

I'll bring a Lambrini
    Classy as ever : - )

If there is a wine dealer out there that wants to have a tasting and sell a few bottles while the museum can make a few bob then get in touch.
  • Jeez, how much do some of you drink !!

Quality not quantity, Afka.
    We've never met, but i am given to understand this is a phrase you might use yourself from time to time.
  • This sums up my knowledge on the subject..........

• Swisdom said:

TelMc32 said:

£30?!

Addickted said:

you uncouth barbarian

I'll bring a Lambrini
    And I'll bring Thunderbird