Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Nottingham Forest vs Charlton | Sat 6th Dec 2014 | Match Preview, Teams, Predictions, News & Views

edited December 2014 in General Charlton
Nottingham Forest vs Charlton Athletic
3pm Kick-Off
Referee –KEVIN WRIGHT

INTRODUCTION

A first home defeat of the season for Charlton last Saturday was frustrating to say the least.

Bob Peeters’ side had 21 efforts on goal, but did not manage to convert any of them and when debutant Noel Hunt scored a 94th minute winner, it proved that a ‘Sky’ curse really does exist!

However, a response is now needed.

Charlton are yet to lose back-to-back games under Peeters, so let’s hope that record continues by getting a result against Nottingham Forest at the City ground on Saturday.

THE OPPOSITION

Stuart Pearce’s side were many bookmakers’ favourites to win the Championship at the start of the season, but a combination of poor form (two wins out of 10) and injury problems mean that they are a bit lower in the table than they would have hoped.

Despite sitting in ninth place and with 28 points on the board (same tally as Charlton), Forest are only seven points off top-spot and three points off the play-offs.

The Reds will be without top-scorer Britt Assombalonga due to the forward picking up a straight red-card in their 2-1 defeat to Birmingham last weekend.

The hosts will also be without Chris Cohen, Andy Reid and Jack Hobbs, as they all have long-term injuries.

Despite their absences, Forest still have a whole host of talented players within their ranks including the likes of Henri Lansbury, Tom Ince and Matty Fryatt, who on their day, can cause any team in the division some problems.

ONE TO WATCH – MICHAIL ANTONIO

My player to watch this weekend is Nottingham Forest winger: Michail Antonio.

The 24-year-old has been outstanding for Forest since his arrival from Sheffield Wednesday in the summer and has already scored 10 league goals this season.

The former Southampton and Reading winger, is a fast and tricky player and has the ability to cause a few issues for Charlton’s back four this weekend.

With Antonio’s speed on one wing, and the possible likes of Chris Burke or Ince on the other, the Addicks will need to be on top-form to get something out of the game on Saturday.

LINE-UP

Bob will have a few selection headaches ahead of this match, but following the number of chances created last weekend, I cannot see him changing too much and I would not be surprised to see him keep the same line-up as last Saturday.

In goal, Nick Pope will continue if Henderson is still absent with the shoulder injury.

In defence, Tal Ben Haim should keep his spot despite his “unforgivable” mistake, as Bob put it. He will probably line up alongside the same trio at the back as last weekend.

In midfield, Yoni Buyens may be in contention following a hamstring problem, but if Peeters keeps the same line-up as last week, Jackson and Coquelin will occupy the middle with Gudmundsson and Cousins on the wings.

Upfront, hopefully Igor Vetokele will be able to last another 90 mins and he’ll probably be joined by Callum Harriott, who despite missing a few chances against Ipswich, was actually one of the brightest players on the pitch.

George Tucudean, Frederic Bulot and Lawrie Wilson are just some of the names that will be pushing for a first-team spot this weekend.

Charlton Athletic - Football tactics and formations

PREDICTION

I can actually see us getting a win here but, of course, only If we have convert our chances…

Nottingham Forest 0-1 Charlton Athletic.

Comments

• Well we got the 0-1 last year at the City ground with a substantially cruddier team than we have now, however given out current goal scoring form, I see us getting the same result. 0-1 Cousins
  • 1-1, but possible we may nick a win
  • 3-0 defeat...
  • The binary bores will produce a 0 and a 1 in the result

I'm feeling optimistic

So 0-1 to the Addicks and Harriott the goal scorer
  • 1-2. JBG and Jackson with the goals.
  • Our wobblette continues. 0-2 Forest
  • A loss here. They're a better side than us, simple as that. Good shout on Antonio. He's more of a threat for Forest than Assombalonga anyway. I'll take a 0-0.
  • 1-0 away win. A Norwich away type performance.
  • Forest fan in work doesn't fancy there chances at all against us, looking forward to go a good day out, I can see a 1-1 draw
  • we couldn't score in a brothel at 'this point in time' .. Forest have a good set of strikers .. so:

Nottingham Forest 2 v CAFC 0 .. Still looking forward to the game though.
  • Sponsored links:

• 1-0 to the addicts.
    The forresters (?) are genuinely baffled as to how they lost having totally dominate. The entire game.
  • First away game of the season for me.

Immediately after Ipswich game felt frustrated and annoyed by the defeat, but now I see it as one of the most enjoyable home games this season, and one in which we played some superb passing football (up there with derby/wolves games).

Will be more than happy to see more of that positive style with a score draw.

1-1
  • Think it'll be tight, bit of magic from one side to win it. Probably them. 1-0.
  • First away game of the season for me.

Immediately after Ipswich game felt frustrated and annoyed by the defeat, but now I see it as one of the most enjoyable home games this season, and one in which we played some superb passing football (up there with derby/wolves games).

Will be more than happy to see more of that positive style with a score draw.

1-1

Told ya ;-)
  • Stuart Pearce as a player, in an England shirt - hero, legend. Stuart Pearce as a manager, not so good. With that in mind, I reckon we'll win.

Also, I now understand why we're wearing Arsenal shirts this season. 25 years on from Michael Thomas' dramatic title-clinching goal at Anfield, Bob has decided to model us on George Graham's Gooners. Adams and O'Leary Ben Haim and Bikey will marshall the defence towards another cleansheet, and Smudger Smith Igor will make up for last week and head home the winner.

Boring boring Charlton!
  • MrLargo said:

Stuart Pearce as a player, in an England shirt - hero, legend. Stuart Pearce as a manager, not so good. With that in mind, I reckon we'll win.

Also, I now understand why we're wearing Arsenal shirts this season. 25 years on from Michael Thomas' dramatic title-clinching goal at Anfield, Bob has decided to model us on George Graham's Gooners. Adams and O'Leary Ben Haim and Bikey will marshall the defence towards another cleansheet, and Smudger Smith Igor will make up for last week and head home the winner.

Boring boring Charlton!

It had the opposite effect on Saturday!
  • 0-2 addicks.
  • 2-0 Forest. First mutterings of Bob out appear (as already seen on Into the Valley forums)
  • 2-0 Forest. First mutterings of Bob out appear (as already seen on Into the Valley forums)

Seriously? There's some real oddballs around, not just in our support but football supporters in general. 19 games in, I'm still formulating my opinion of Peeters and you're telling me there's people around who have already decided he's great, then decided he's average and now decided that he's terrible. Unreal.
  • Sponsored links:

• MrLargo said:

2-0 Forest. First mutterings of Bob out appear (as already seen on Into the Valley forums)

Seriously? There's some real oddballs around, not just in our support but football supporters in general. 19 games in, I'm still formulating my opinion of Peeters and you're telling me there's people around who have already decided he's great, then decided he's average and now decided that he's terrible. Unreal.
    Perhaps if they wish to start a sack peeters campaign like the one Newcastle started about Pardew, then maybe our form will improve just like Newcastle's. However I myself am sticking with Bob because personally I love him. However I wish he'd partner Tucudean and Vetokele back up like the start of the year when we scored more goals. All i'm saying is if he's scoring for fun in training, then put him in.
  • Will be my first game back after my TX trip, that is as long as there are no delays on my flight this evening. Am gonna be proper moody and jet lagged up in Nottingham if we lose so expect a 4-0 hammering with Antonio getting a hat-trick... :-)
  • Low scoring snorefest with Charlton misfiring in front of goal as usual . 1-0
  • Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • I think the way Bob approaches games at the moment we are better suited to do well away from home. Because of this I think we'll win this 0-1. It's the cautious approach which is great for away games but not so good at home.
  • The Midlands wunderkind roll over our Belgian wafflemakers like a battalion of Sturmtruppen. Can't see past a 5-0 defeat.

• 0-0, 1-0 or 0-1

Either way I will be watching the Under 21's women's snooker semi-finals instead.
  • Anyone know if the team are going by train... Went through New Eltham earlier and saw Jordan Cousins walking down the platform in his Charlton gear with luggage
  • Anyone know if the team are going by train... Went through New Eltham earlier and saw Jordan Cousins walking down the platform in his Charlton gear with luggage

Trainspotter.