Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Second Hand Car

2»

Comments

• IdleHans said:
    Current one is a 2005 diesel x type - a really good car, I'd happily buy another. Good on fuel, adequately fast, comfortable and a good size. Plenty still about though they stopped making them 10 years ago, which tells you something. Mind you, I'm no spring chicken and I've never seen anyone younger than me driving one.

Previous was a Saab 9000 - an even better car in many ways, but soooo heavy on fuel by comparison. 

Sadly a bit too juicy on fuel for me, probably looking at a 1.4-1.5 diesel as I do over 100 mike's a week and need to keep it down.
    I do mostly motorway miles and average about 55 a gallon. Town driving would be a lot less. Depends what sort of trips you do.
  • Motorway, to be fair.

It's a lovely idea, frankly I'd love a Jag compared to a Megane or Leon or whatever but I think once I add up the higher tax, insurance (not sure insurers will be keen at my age!), extra fuel etc plus the cost of parts etc if it goes wrong it's not really practical!  Sadly.
  • You can still get a shitload of car for 3 grand 

Running a quick search for diesels, hybrids and petrol cars under 75,000 miles up to 3 grand your choice is substantial. You would get a mondeo titanium x absolutely specced out to the nines. Bear in mind it's a Ford hence the low price with low mileage. Since about 2008 or 2009 Ford really upped their game to compete in the fleet market with BMW, Audi and Mercedes. The interiors are a lot better than they ever were and I've heard good things about them. They are also very cheap to service and look after. 

If you want it looking the part give me a PM and I'll detail it for you too at a decent price 

Whatever you do steer clear of Renaults, Citroens, Peugeots and Fiats. I know they are cheap but they are cheap for a very good reason. 
  • edited May 2019
    With my son, we went for low mileage above age. Got him a fiat panda diesel which had only done 23k but was 2009 so quite old. Garaged with one lady owner and in very nice condition. He's had it a year, sailed through it's MOT and engine looks like new.

Not sure this is the optimum way, but feels like a result to us. 

People warn you about Fiats, and Citroens, but why do I never see them broken down on motorway's? Vauxhalls seem to be the most prevelant to me, followed by BMWs. I have bought Fiats for over 20 years with no problems. Cheap to run and reliable form my experiences. Maybe I am just lucky.
  • Fiat Panda is a very good buy second hand. Have driven plenty of Peugeots/Citroens and the diesels seem very robust.

Some models are overpriced on the basis of their badge.
  • Motorway, to be fair.

It's a lovely idea, frankly I'd love a Jag compared to a Megane or Leon or whatever but I think once I add up the higher tax, insurance (not sure insurers will be keen at my age!), extra fuel etc plus the cost of parts etc if it goes wrong it's not really practical!  Sadly.
    Not trying to push you down the jag route at all, and I can imagine insurance might be toppy for anyone under about 28. 
    But Jag were Ford owned in X type days, the engines are Ford, and I've found the few spares I need to be as cheap as Mrs Idle's Focus estate. Tax on a 2.0D is I think £165 per year, so towards the lower end without being a hybrid.

Ive heard good things about Leon's, mind you. Try the honest john site - he has a car chooser thing in there where you select the qualities that apply and it will throw up a short list for you.

And I don't think Vauxhall have ever made a car that wasn't complete pony.
  • Ended up after looking at about 20 cars over the last two days getting a 1 series diesel.  Fingers crossed it's as decent as it seems.

Cheers for the advice everyone!
  • Ended up after looking at about 20 cars over the last two days getting a 1 series diesel.  Fingers crossed it's as decent as it seems.

Cheers for the advice everyone!
    They are decent cars, I've had one on hire and it was lovely to drive which is an achievement being a hire car.