Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The week that was - Wednesday 5th December 2001. Chelsea 0 Charlton Athletic 1

edited December 2014 in General Charlton
Premier League. Wednesday 5th December 2001. Stamford Bridge. Att: 33,504

Chelsea 0 (0) Charlton Athletic 1 (0) (Lisbie 89)

Chelsea: Cudicini, Melchiot, Gallas, Terry, Babayaro, Lampard, Jokanovic, Dalla Bona, Zenden (Zola 46), Hasselbaink, Gudjohnsen (Forssell 80). Unused subs: De Goey, Stanic, Keenan.
Charlton Athletic: Kiely, Young, Fish (Costa 81), Fortune, Powell, Stuart, Parker, Jensen, Robinson (Konchesky 3), Euell, Johansson (Lisbie 65). Unused subs: Roberts, Bart-Williams.

Referee: Dermot Gallagher (Banbury)

Match winner Kevin Lisbie had his boots stolen the previous day and had to borrow a pair.

Jason Euell top scored with 13 goals (11 league) with The Addicks finishing in 14th place.

Comments

• Young, Fish (Costa 81), Fortune.
  • I'm sure @Ledge‌ got thrown out the home end for this one going batsh*t bonkers when Lisbie scored !
  • Makes you feel better after the Ipswich result we just had.

The smallest guy on the pitch scores with a header in the dying moments.
  • Imagine going to the bridge today and coming away with a win .. the gap now between us and them is only about half a billion quid
  • edited December 2014
    The free-kick that Lisbie scored from should never have been given - Lisbie running down the wing with the ball tripped himself up (new boots !!) but Lino gave it as a foul. Ball whipped in and bingo,bongo,bango its in the net !!

Costa's first game.........
  • I was chased out of the home end after this one. Couldn't control myself when Lisbie nodded home. Those were the days
  • Imagine going to the bridge today and coming away with a win .. the gap now between us and them is only about half a billion quid

It wouldn't count if Mourinho said so….

I remember that night well. It's fair to say the Chelsea fans weren't happy after the game, accusing young Kevin of diving for the free kick that he then scored from.
  • A Chelsea season ticket holder at work gave me his ticket for this one and Kevin Lisbie's last minute winner was a moment of pure, unalloyed joy (quite the opposite of Saturday, in fact). I was sitting behind the dug-outs on the halfway line and remember feeling greatly reassured when Jorge Costa came on to counter the anticipated late onslaught . As he had said pre-match, 'Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink never scores against me.'
  • Lampard played wide midfield in this one, wasn't very good and was given stick by the Chelsea fans. I remember thinking that he was a complete waste of £7m! (or whatever the fee was). He'd be a snip at £7m even now!
  • Sponsored links:

• The first Charlton match I took my kids to.

Great result diminished by a huge parking fine and the most expensive bag of chips I have ever purchased.
  • Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial 48s48 seconds ago
    GOOAALL! 13 years ago, Kevin Lisbie nodded in a late winner against @chelseafc at Stamford Bridge. #December5th #cafc

• Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial 48s48 seconds ago
    GOOAALL! 13 years ago, Kevin Lisbie nodded in a late winner against @chelseafc at Stamford Bridge. #December5th #cafc

That redbus kit us possibly my favourite because it's the first one I owned...