Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Registering company domains....

I have to register a new company domain name and was going to reg .Co.Uk but have now seen .UK.

I am not sure if I should just register both and or just stick with .Co.UK.

Your techy knowledge would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Chickswithdicks.co.uk is already taken mate.
  • Options

Not the answer i was looking for (but thanks...)
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    The Co you mention could argue that it is to similar. They may be cool with it, depending on where they are based and their Co activity as opposed to yours .
    I suggest you phone Companies Registration Office, I do not have the no to hand; however, they should be able to advise you.
  • Options

I have to register a new company domain name and was going to reg .Co.Uk but have now seen .UK.

Do both if I was you. Also I have noticed the new .london domain name is starting to get popular (if your in London of course).
  • Options
    It's an entirely personal view, but I always think something non-country specific has more cachet, for example .com or .net.
  • Options
    I
    pettgra said:

The Co you mention could argue that it is to similar. They may be cool with it, depending on where they are based as opposed to yours and their Co activity as opposed to yours again.
    I suggest you phone Companies Registration Office, I do not have the no to hand; however, they should be able to advise you.

It's more a case of which one is more popular and will GB firms use .UK, like they do on mainland Europe?
  • Options

Do both if I was you. Also I have noticed the new .london domain name is starting to get popular (if your in London of course).
    I thought that also, but it is a bit of a ball of string.
  • Options

How'd you know?
  • Options

I

pettgra said:

The Co you mention could argue that it is to similar. They may be cool with it, depending on where they are based as opposed to yours and their Co activity as opposed to yours again.

It's more a case of which one is more popular and will GB firms use .UK, like they do on mainland Europe?
    Ah sorry I misunderstood. Apologies.
  • Options
    Did a bit of work for a mate last year which involved auditing his clients web estates for cookie penetration (ooh er Mrs...). Used a fancy bit of bespoke software which I won't begin to understand but you will be surprised how even large companies have absolutely no idea of what domains and redirects, current or long defunct they still have lying around. It is a bit of a minefield.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Did a bit of work for a mate last year which involved auditing his clients web estates for cookie penetration (ooh er Mrs...). Used a fancy bit of bespoke software which I won't begin to understand but you will be surprised how even large companies have absolutely no idea of what domains and redirects, current or long defunct they still have lying around. It is a bit of a minefield.

Luckily they are not overtly expensive, but more a logistical pain in the backside.
  • Options
    depends on your target audience. .co.uk is pretty well recognised as "uk commercial" and people are generally ok with typing it in. If its targetted at friends or a younger audience, then uk is better as its less keys to press on their dinky mobiles.......
  • Options
    dogpat65 said:

depends on your target audience. .co.uk is pretty well recognised as "uk commercial" and people are generally ok with typing it in. If its targetted at friends or a younger audience, then uk is better as its less keys to press on their dinky mobiles.......

have just bought both as all the European partners use .be or .de etc etc
  • Options
    yep, depending on the country that you are in some use the .co, some dont. The Aussies are the real nightmare as they traditionally use .com.au
  • Options
    Personally, I would recommend .com unless your business is strictly UK only in which I would use .co.uk. If in doubt, why not get both .co.uk and .com. I think using any other extension is more likely to mean that someone will enter it wrongly if they want your website. If the .co.uk name that you want has gone, you can usually find an alternative name which is distinctive enough.
  • Options

Personally, I would recommend .com unless your business is strictly UK only in which I would use .co.uk. If in doubt, why not get both .co.uk and .com. I think using any other extension is more likely to mean that someone will enter it wrongly if they want your website. If the .co.uk name that you want has gone, you can usually find an alternative name which is distinctive enough.

Totally agree with this.

It also depends on what you are going to use the site for. Is it a) information about the Company that you direct specific people to, or is it b) a site that requires traffic being driven to it (affiliate for example). Don't worry too much about the actual domain name if you can't get the exact one you want - the name is not so important for either a) or b) - particularly b) as that's all about SEO.

I tend to register .com, .co.uk and .net and link them to the one site.