Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Where to watch the rugger after Ipswich?

Am taking my brother-in-law, who's more a rugby fan, to the Ipswich game. Any suggestions for a good place not far from the Valley to watch the egg chasers after? Was going to say the Hare & Billet, but I didn't realise it was on Sky, so no dice there. Royal Standard? The Mitre?

Comments

• is it Eng v Aus ?

I feel a plan coming on...
  • I'd say this is a better opportunity than ever to ween him off that shit sport for good. Or you could take him to a evening 3rd division SPFL game. The shockingly low attendances will make him feel right at home.
  • Blackheath are playing Tynedale 3pm kick off, double bubble......
  • I recommend the Standard at Blackheath, was there after the Millwall game on Saturday. Ireland v Australia with the funny-shaped ball drew a big and boisterous crowd. Good ale; London Pride was in top nick.
  • rugger bugger weirdos
  • nothing wrong with rugby

• watching England play RUGBY UNION lately is about as painful and frustrating as watching CAFC in the 3rd, sorry 1st division a few years back
  • In that clip it really looks like his head is actually going to come off.

• Curb_It said:

In that clip it really looks like his head is actually going to come off.

Leicester v Northampton .. always a clean fought and friendly affair ((:>)
  • Sponsored links:

• is it Eng v Aus ?

I feel a plan coming on...

Yes it is.

The Standard sounds favourite then. At least we've got a chance of making it by kick off from the Valley.

Not my sport of choice, but can't turn down a double header.

• edited November 2014
    Macronate said:

nothing wrong with rugby

You would never guess it, but those 2 are England team mates.

I reckon Jack Munns should do it to bikey to get a bit of team bonding going.
  • Macronate said:

nothing wrong with rugby

What a bitchy little slap. No wonder footballers all think rugby players are soft..........
  • Macronate said:

nothing wrong with rugby

You would never guess it, but those 2 are England team mates.

I reckon Jack Munns should do it to bikey to get a bit of team bonding going.
    I suspect Bikey might think he'd been bitten by a gnat!! ;-)

Doubt you'd make the start, but The Wellington (Fullers pub) just outside Waterloo is a decent boozer for the rugby.
  • I'd say this is a better opportunity than ever to ween him off that shit sport for good. Or you could take him to a evening 3rd division SPFL game. The shockingly low attendances will make him feel right at home.

Why is it shit?

• Macronate said:

nothing wrong with rugby

Best thing about that clip? After the game where they both shook hands, had a hug and effectively said no hard feelings. What happens on the pitch very rarely carries on post match, which is something footballers could learn from.
  • I remember the first time I went to Twickenham I was struck with how much nicer the crowd was around you than at a football match. No swearing around you and felt like a nice place to take the kids.

Compare that to the London bound platform after the game on Saturday (admittedly Millwall) and it was pikey chavs as far as the eye could see, effing and blinding all over the place.

I am a big football fan of course but like to watch a bit of rugby and am not oblivious to the more unsavoury aspects of our national sport.

A lot of people who say they don't like rugby will have a serious 'class' chip on shoulder going on and not like it 'cos its full of posh people'.
  • edited November 2014

Macronate said:

nothing wrong with rugby

Best thing about that clip? After the game where they both shook hands, had a hug and effectively said no hard feelings. What happens on the pitch very rarely carries on post match, which is something footballers could learn from.
    Haha i love this line from rugby fans.

No offence Addickforlife, but nearly taking someones head off in front of thousands of fans, including kids, and then shaking hands after and thinking its acceptable is hardly a great moral lesson. Its just highlights to me the brain dead divs that play the game.
  • Macronate said:

nothing wrong with rugby

Haha i love this line for rugby fans.

No offence Addickforlife, but nearly taking someones head off in front of thousands of fans, including kids, and then shaking hands after and thinking its acceptable is hardly a great moral lesson. Its just highlights to me the brain dead divs that play the game.
    Don't get me wrong, its appalling behaviour from Tuilagi and has no place in rugby, or any sport.

However, it is quite refreshing to see sportsmen realise that sometimes things boil over on the pitch and just get on with it afterwards rather than whinging and whinging.
  • Sponsored links:

• Macronate said:

nothing wrong with rugby

Don't get me wrong, its appalling behaviour from Tuilagi and has no place in rugby, or any sport.

However, it is quite refreshing to see sportsmen realise that sometimes things boil over on the pitch and just get on with it afterwards rather than whinging and whinging.
    Yeah i get that things boil over, but you get two or three of these high profile incidents every season in Rugby. Things boil over when you have a beer up the pub but if you saw someone land a punch like that you'd be asking for the old bill to take action.

I cant recall anything happening like that in the football league. Its usually handbags or Suarez chewing on a shoulder. It makes the whole 'Footballers could learn a lot from rugby' argument completely redundant.
  • dickplumb said:

Rugby Union is a great tedious game played by real vastly overweight men who don't roll about on can barely got up off the floor feigning injury after they have been tapped, or not in some cases because they've no stamina. The speed lying about in heaps and physical ferocity premeditated violence, ear biting and the like, is frightening is pathetic and belongs in a bygone era. The respect for the referee is something Football could learn from.

Fixed that for you. :-) But seriously, the players can't hack it. Even though they only play 80 minutes, they still have never ending substitutions because the fat guys run out of puff.

As for respect, well, this very recent report suggests otherwise.

bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/30221313

And here's some further startling input:

Assaults on rugby referees are being reported more and more in the media. One study found that around six percent of United Kingdom referees surveyed had been physically assaulted. The same study found that rugby referees were most concerned about being assaulted by a spectator or coach. But a study by Rainey and Hardy found that it was in fact players who committed assaults on referees the most, contributing to seventy nine percent of all assaults on referees.

Can you imagine the furore in the media if that many football officials had suffered actual assault?

What's football had in the UK? Di Canio pushed one over once...otherwise....
  • Belushi's in greenwich has a lot of screens and is usually busy for sports events
  • Macronate said:

nothing wrong with rugby

Yeah i get that things boil over, but you get two or three of these high profile incidents every season in Rugby. Things boil over when you have a beer up the pub but if you saw someone land a punch like that you'd be asking for the old bill to take action.

I cant recall anything happening like that in the football league. Its usually handbags or Suarez chewing on a shoulder. It makes the whole 'Footballers could learn a lot from rugby' argument completely redundant.
    well i guess Phil Hughes accident ,although a freak puts tuilagi and his behaviour in context ...that punch could have been curtains for the other guy