Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Restoring / repairing old photos

edited November 2014 in Not Sports Related
In the aftermath to the Remembrance stuff, come across a couple of lovely 9x7 photos of my grandad from 13/5/46 at Hildenheim? Barracks. He was a Sargeant with the King's Royals Rifles and used to teach the others to horse ride.

However, as you can see my mum scrawled all over them with pen when she was a nipper!

No idea on these things, can you get them digitally enhanced, repaired to wipe out the pen scribbles?

Would love to get some repaired copies to give back to my nan.

Comments

• Options
    Via the musuem have been in contact with various "conservators".

I will ask around.

Should as SG3 about his war record
  • Options
    You can get Pens that will remove the ink, have you googled How to remove pen ink from paper, might be worth a look.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Badger said:

You can get Pens that will remove the ink, have you googled How to remove pen ink from paper, might be worth a look.

Cheers Badger, Given the sentiment and age of the card, I don't want to play around with them and make it worse. Just wondered more if they could be scanned, then properly altered.

• Options
    Cheers HI, funny enough I enquired to Clive a couple of weeks ago, and since come across these.
  • Options
    Depends if you want to restore the original prints...... or make copies and retouch generally in photoshop.
    Any decent graphic designer should be able to help with the second.
    There are a few people on here who could help you mate.
    Retouching prints by airbrushing, and by brush is a very skilled talent, so as Henry has posted will need someone with that background expertise. Been decades since I did this, by hand, and only dealt with minor blemishes on prints.
    Photoshop took the grief out of this with my limited talents.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Anyone who is skilled in Photoshop will be able to scan the photos and do it for you. Whatever you do, don't apply anything to the actual photo. Your local camera club will mostly likely have someone who can do it. It is quite a lengthy process, about one hour for a small photo isn't unnusual. My skills are not yet good enough otherwise I would willingly have done it.

• Options
    I can give them a go for you AFKA. May have to wait until after Xmas some point. though as its manic with the children at the mo.

Dunno how good the scanner is on my printer though, but I (should have) the skills.
  • Options
    Same for me. I'd be willing to have a go, but my scanner isn't good, so if you could get a high quality scan done somewhere then you could send the image out, I'm sure a few people with some photoshop skills would be willing to have a go. Me included.
  • Options
    @CAFC999 might be able to get good scans and clean them up.

So what dark secrets have you discovered in your history?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cheers chaps, much appreciated.

Nothing exciting yet H, got one line of family going back to 1600's who originated from Italy. Through the 1800's seemed to be 4 generations of 'picture frame makers'
  • Options
    1600s is very good going.
  • Options
    None of my own work I hasten to add !