Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match Views: Charlton v Millwall

Comments

• Options

6 games in a row now that we haven't scored against them...

cant be down to the managers as 3 different ones have tried
    cant be down to the players as we must have used 3 dozen over that time
    must be down to us fans.............
  • Options
    Shout for Cousins as well who had a brilliant game.
  • Options
    Very frustrating match. i thought the formation was negative considering the opposition. Igor was crying out for someone alongside him.
    The team played well without creating too much. ( Bikey had his poorest game to date ) . I was impressed with Coquelin and Gudmundsson looked very dangerous.
    Draw was the right result.

• Options
    vff said:

From the clip it was a poor first touch by GT and Forde, who is a good goalkeeper, was very quick of the line. If GT had chipped the ball into the goal, rather than just over the goal keeper, the Millwall defender would have not caught up.

I think this is a good point. Forde is always very quick and decisive when he comes off his line, you have to give him some credit here.
    A really good keeper Forde - God knows what he's doing wasting his career at Millwall.

• Options
    Some good individual performances but overall two toothless teams. Seemed very subdued for a Charlton - Millwall game but as Tutt-Tutt points out 5 v 5 in midfield doesn't make for much excitement.
  • Options
    Despite stand out performances from JBG and Coq, who were both superb, that was a pretty lacklustre performance. It seemed to me we were happy to settle for the draw when a win was very get-able. And that's two games running where George has had just the keeper to beat and managed to fluff it. Just not good enough.
  • Options
    seth . meh?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Frustrating. We were clearly the better team, played the better football and had the clearest chance at the end but they had more chances overall and we couldn't have moaned a lot if they'd nicked it.

Sorry but starting with effectively one up front at home against a very poor team like Millwall is pathetic. If certain recent managers had done that there'd be huge moans from certain people about how defensive and negative they are but for some reason at the moment they accept it without question.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I was at Man City v Swansea today so highly off topic. What I gleaned from the local fans was:
    1) Too defensive - 4321 (or similar) is ridiculous at home against a crap side (5th before kick off!!)
    2) Aguerro was isolated
    3) Kompany had a rare bad game
    4) Nasri is crap (heck, I thought he would be out of this world playing for us)
    5) Swansea came to draw
    6) City should have won more comfortably (I'd disagree with that)
    7) The ref was dire

Besides 7) which wasn't true, it's not too far off the game at The Valley, it would seem.

I should add that the football at times was quality but pass of the day came from sub Shelvey
  • Options
    Overall, a draw was probably fair although I'd say Millwall had more of the better chances. We all know Tuc should have scored but that save from Pope about 5 minutes before stopped us losing, outstanding save. Lacking creativity although I thought Harriot was decent when he came on.

Gud was mom, by a distance as well. Don't quite get the Coq love in, thought he was decent and the best out of the central midfielders but think a few are going a bit overboard.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Attitude was top class but we are missing a target man. Maybe there maybe someone within the network to come in January as the loan window is shut.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Just seen the clip above.

George's idea was a very good one, he completely took the goalkeeper out of the picture. There's no guarantee that he'd have scored had he smacked it.

It's unfortunate that he hooked his foot around it, allowing Beevers to get back and make that challenge. Had he lifted it straight rather than on a slight left into the defender's path, he could've got his body between him and the ball to stroke it into an empty net.

Small margins.
  • Options
    I've been over this before. Charlton fans are very black and white.

If we lose, we've played terribly (even though we might have played well).
    If we win and we're lucky as F*, it's a great ground-out performance.

Reminds me of Barnsley at home at the end of last season. We absolutely battered them yet people on CL claimed we were dreadful, which we weren't.
  • Options
    Millwall shaded a very even (and quite boring) match. Tucudean wasn't at fault for missing that chance.
  • Options
    JBG and Solly fashioned some very good moves in both halves on the right. Coquelin was up for it and added steel as well as some flair. But both sides were light up front and can't see George giving us much more than the odd good touch. Need something more to help Igor. Good support from the home fans...thought away end was a bit muted. Full marks to club and police after the match after last year's debacle. Home fans given priority at station. Shame South Eastern screwed it up with crap service. The one game they needed to get right and they fluffed it.
  • Options
    sorry bob but 1 up front against these ponys spotting dregs isnt good enough.
    Shit game.
    Vetokele dont look fit.
    when the f--k are are we gona score against them ?

impressed with the gooner kid.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Watched the stream online.

I thought we looked pretty good until we got 40 yards from goal

That's quite a lot of pitch!
  • Options
    It's all been said but George missing his Martine Mccutcheon moment hurt and you could see the scum fans celebrating as if they'd scored - hate em filth
    Still George will score in 3 games time and everyone can say I knew there was a player in there aaaaaaah
    Special mention for Solly today thought he was as good as I've seen him today
    Scum were there for the taking and I can see them being involved in a relegation battle as long as they stay patient with Holloway , perleeeeease

0.1 % top two ......... 3.9 % 3rd-6th .........54% 7th-12th ......42% 13th-21st...... 0% Relegation

• Options
    Yes, how could I forget to mention Sols!?!

Has there ever been a more unflappable player than Chris Solly? Never, ever, ever panics. No matter how hard fought the game is, his shorts stay clean, his shirt stays tucked in, and his parting remains straight and neat. If it wasn't for his tats he'd fit right in in the 1930s.

Magic player, I'm almost glad his knees are shot as it means we'll probably be able to keep him.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Uboat said:

It is but it excludes the key 40 yards you need to do well in to win the match.

• Options

Uboat said:

It is but it excludes the key 40 yards you need to do well in to win the match.

No, that's the bit I was referring to.
  • Options
    Well gutted. The spanners were there for the taking. But a lack of fire and energy resulted in a draw.
    Ambling around to take goal kicks / throw-ins. No commitment on corners and especially 2nd half free kick where we only sent 3 forward to face 11 spanners in the box was indicative of the lack of passion.
    Watched Brentford beat Fulham with nonstop forward momentum last night. Thats how to win a derby match.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    My take on things:

Thought it was more frustrating than boring (as some have said). I was moaning before we even kicked off that we were only playing 1 up top. Poor Igor was isolated against 2 CB's that swallowed him up. I also had the refs card marked, when in the first 5 mins, he made Fox re-take a throw for being 3 inches in front of where the ball went out "oh god, it's one of those refs". The most stand out points of his were the blatant handball in the 2nd half (probably wasn't deliberate, but his arm was raised, which stopped a goal bound shot) and not playing advantage when Wilson was put clean through towards the end. Is it really that hard to look where the ball is before blowing a fucking whistle??

As much as I commend Roland for wanting to abide by FFP, now the league have moved the goal-posts on that, Please Rolly, dust off the cheque book in January, as 2 key players would make a huge difference to this team.

And don't worry about our bolshy neighbours, we're saving our long awaited victory for the away fixture, which will be so much sweeter..............

• Options

Draw was probably a fair result but we really should have won it at the end, firstly when the ref criminally failed to play advantage with Wilson through on goal with support from Tucs and then when Tucs over complicated his one on one and lost the advantage. Against Reading his miss was due to an overly casual first time poke goal wards, this time he showed great composure to lift the ball over the keeper, but should have lifted a shot over him rather than try to run around and meet his own pass. Say what you like about Church, I reckon he'd have taken both those chances. Tucs did make an impact though and I still suspect he will hit a purple patch at some point, the problem is we need somone more reliable to support Igor. Not that Igor carried much threat today but he didn't look fully fit, was a bit isolated from a starting midfield that included 3 defensive midfielders, and what service there was into him was largely poor.

I thought we looked pretty good until we got 40 yards from goal at which point every midfielder was guilty of over hit or generally inaccurate passes towards Igor. No one really got up alongside Igor until Tucs came on at which point we created 2 or 3 openings, albeit at a time when the game had become stretched. We lost a little bit of control when Buyens went off and I didn't think Cousins had a particularly good game. Offensively I thought Harriott offered the most of the midfield and swung in 3 or 4 dangerous crosses as well as setting Tucs away with a nicely weighted first time through ball. He did run down a couple of blind alleys and I accept criticism that he can do more defensively, but first and foremost you want your wingers to affect the game in the final third and I thought he did today. Jo-Berg showed some nice touches but all too far from goal and his set piece delivery was pretty insipid, JJ should have pulled rank and taken that responsibility off him imo.

Defence maybe not quite as solid looking as in other games this season, but hardly surprising with Henderson and Wiggins both missing. I thought both deputies did okay. Fox was a little wasteful in possession and maybe could have got forward a bit more but from where I was watchng he didn't do a great deal wrong defensively and saw off his winger who was eventually subbed. Popey done okay, flapped a little bit at a couple of crosses but he's kept a clean sheet which he can be proud of and showed some promising distribution from his hands.

I've been saying it for a bloody long time now, but we still don't have that player in midfield who will work hard to get on the ball, and when he has it be capable of spotting runs early and then delivering accurate, well weighted passes. Coquelin impressed today, although even he was guilty of some poor longer passes, but his talents lie in screening the back four and then starting attacks, not in attacking flair. In Igor we have a player who will finish attacks. What we lack is the middle-man who receives the ball from Coquelin and then lays it on a plate for Igor, or at least gives it to the likes of Harriott and Jo-Berg in areas where they can do some proper damage.

Players like that are hard to come by, to be fair, but even cautious Curbs made room for players like Jensen and Murphy, he lucked out with Kins because he could do both jobs on his own. We haven't had anyone remotely like it since Reid was sold, but finding that player, in my mind, is what separates us from being solid nearly men and being the real deal.

Yours is a superb analysis, Exiled - even more so for having watched the game on the box; this is my 50th season of watching Charlton in the flesh, home and away. You have nailed it precisely about our weak midfield of the last two-and-a-half years.

This season with Bikey and Ben Haim we have a tough back line; Solly today was quite magnificent. Yet the balls they defend and pass to our midfield are lost in the tackle; when we do win possession our passes thence are wayward if not sideways. As someone said earlier on this thread: Andy Reid was able to receive the ball and move forward thirty yards from defence to attack - to which I would add Lee Bowyer and Scott Parker.

For our present and recent midfielders, that short gap is a no-man's-land, a demilitarised zone. No Entry. At first, Ajdarevic looked the part with his imposing stature and forward ambition - but turned out to be another dud off-loaded from Liege. We have a squadron of midfielders - Cousins, Jackson, Bulot, Harriott, Buyens, Moussa, et al - who experientially ought to play better. Thousands of fans revered Diego Poyet - yet he never crossed the half-way line, let alone made a killer pass.

Two other important aspects that were beyond the TV screen today, Exiled. We had a corner in the first half, and our man walked - yes walked - thirty yards to take it. Good if we were 2-0 up with 15 minutes to go. And playing only one up front at home is inexcusable at any level, but watch Vetokele even with a partner: he doesn't move to make space or a target for those ultimately futile long balls from defence - and neither does he close down defenders. As you quite rightly say, Simon Church is alert off the blocks, sprinting twenty yards to hassle the right-back.

Good football is heroic and exhilarating: 15,000 of us demand toughness, skill, speed and intelligence. We didn't throw the kitchen sink at Millwall today: we offered them a pink plastic washing-up bowl, half-price from Poundland.