Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Millwall 13/14 annual losses

Losses up 44%, total loses of 11.7m

Mental

Comments

• Options
    Reporting season will be in full swing soon. Aren't we reportedly around the £3m mark (loss) that is
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    That puts them on a transfer ban then, doesn't it ?

NB, I doubt it's that simple & they probably won't be. It's quite clear why they voted for the increase in limits.

NB Those figures should please the football league, who will be dead chuffed that clubs will be making full usage of the new allowances.
  • Options
    Does it say what their FFP loss is?

As long as Byrelson (sp?) Is happy to cover the loss they are fine.
    cabbles said:

Reporting season will be in full swing soon. Aren't we reportedly around the £3m mark (loss) that is

2.6m I think was the FFP loss but the overall loss maybe more as it can include spending on the ground etc

Soon come
  • Options
    What is their turnover? About 10-15M?

What a crazy situation. I don't get what their owner gets out of this, based in US, pumps over £10M into a two bob club in S London each year, a club that is generally unpopular and realistically has zero chance of getting into the PL.

Why would he continue for any length of time?

Bust within 5 years with Bolton, Middlesbrough, Leeds, Brentford and others.
  • Options

The FFP loss limits for last season were £8m. It's quite possible that Millwall could have £3-4m of costs that can be discounted for the FFP result such as stadium depreciation and academy costs. So perhaps they escape a player registration ban?
    Losses at that level for a bottom six club is simply not sustainable. And I think they have one of the oldest squads in the division so where next for them?
    Our losses will be in the range £4.5-5m being the FFP loss announced recently plus £1m Valley depreciation and £1m academy costs.

The reality is that the only way to make money in English football is to get into the FAPL and I can't see Millwall getting into the top half, let alone the play-offs. With this level of losses being widespread in the Championship it's inevitable that a few clubs will fall over in the next few years.

The chairmen have chosen this path by 18 votes to 6 and clubs like Millwall voted for higher loss limits instead of running the club on a sound basis.

Put another way they are running up costs and losses at least £5M higher than us and for what?

Also losses that size and the state of their brand probably makes the club unsellable - plenty of clubs in better shave on the market... the only way is down!

Agree with all of this.
  • Options

What a crazy situation. I don't get what their owner gets out of this, based in US, pumps over £10M into a two bob club in S London each year, a club that is generally unpopular and realistically has zero chance of getting into the PL.

Maybe he likes two bob clubs. Maybe he bought the club with the intention of trying to make some money but then got the bug. It does happen, even for a scummy club like ours.

I'm sure Blackpool had 'zero chance of getting into the PL' as well.

I could be wrong but it sounds like it grates on you that we have a chairman prepared to bankroll us.

• Options

Maybe he likes two bob clubs. Maybe he bought the club with the intention of trying to make some money but then got the bug. It does happen, even for a scummy club like ours.

I could be wrong but it sounds like it grates on you that we have a chairman prepared to bankroll us.

Odd
  • Options

Odd
    Even.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

No, what grates is that a scummy club like yours fails to see the long term benefits of FFP.

The long term benefits would have been a more competitive league with lower costs and clubs staying in business. Huge debts are simply not sustainable.

P.s. is your manager completly off his rocker?

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Redrobo said:

No, what grates is that a scummy club like yours fails to see the long term benefits of FFP.

The long term benefits would have been a more competitive league with lower costs and clubs staying in business. Huge debts are simply not sustainable.

1. Do we, really? What has brought you to that conclusion and where is your proof?

2. Agreed. Our chairman isn't silly and is fully aware of the implications and ramifications of FFP and the need to stay within its parameters. He isn't a member of a billion dollar family due to being financially stupid.

3. Absolutely. He's nuts.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Do what? The FFP protects those with money and the infrastructure to spend more. How does a little club make an impact if it always has to spend within its limited revenues? You need some leeway for clubs to break out of their cycle and into the next tier.

You cannot begin to accuse us of splashing any cash. You've just gone & spent a reported £2.4m on a striker.....our transfer record is £800k from 1989!

We are a small club trying to compete with lots of bigger clubs in this league. It's the wages that are a killer, but with cliubs like yourselves spending millions, we have to pay the wage to attract some sort of standard of player.

I do agree however with another post that we need to restructure in a way that has us set up as the leading football academy for south London and Kent/Sussex etc, we need to be attracting the best talent and giving them the opportunities to progress and then make money that way by selling them on. Likewise by scouring the lower leagues for young talent, like we did with Morison, and we should've done with Austin. That's the way we'll survive long term without any magical increases in crowds / external revenue.
  • Options

It doesn't grate on me - just cold calculated observation :)
    In 12 months our squad has become younger, better and we are in the top eight for the first time since 2008. Our losses are down by £3.5m over the last two seasons and we have one or two players who are a bit special.

I hadn't realised the financials were that bad and can see why your chairman voted in favour of loss limits going up again - as you simply have no plan to cut back.
    Clubs have been bank rolled for years but sooner or later the owner runs out of money or loses interest.

It's not entirely clear what is the ambition of our new owner but he has made a big difference in less than a year. A win on Saturday will give us three points but will also be a symbolic victory of new vs old.
  • Options

He didn't use the word 'scummy'. The general message applies to you in as much as it might to a Bournemouth or a Brighton.

Personally, and this isn't taking our rivalry into account, you lot are quite far off getting anywhere near the Prem. I'm def not saying we are either. The point made is that, long term, I really wouldn't be comfortable with this approach, and am surprised with all the points mentioned above you would be either.

The terms '2 bob' and 'generally unpopular' are just terms fans use when talking about your closest rivals. Just as I'm sure we are referred to as 'train spotters' etc by you lot.

I'm pretty sure the majority of fans of all clubs will be disappointed with the recent FFP announcement and what it means, even those who's clubs voted for the new limits.

• Options
    cabbles said:

He didn't use the word 'scummy'. The general message applies to you in as much as it might to a Bournemouth or a Brighton.

Personally, and this isn't taking our rivalry into account, you lot are quite far off getting anywhere near the Prem. I'm def not saying we are either. The point made is that, long term, I really wouldn't be comfortable with this approach, and am surprised with all the points mentioned above you would be either.

The terms '2 bob' and 'generally unpopular' are just terms fans use when talking about your closest rivals. Just as I'm sure we are referred to as 'train spotters' etc by you lot.

I'm pretty sure the majority of fans of all clubs will be disappointed with the recent FFP announcement and what it means, even those who's clubs voted for the new limits.

Before I answer 'seriously', I never said he used the word 'scummy'.

I chose to put it in there to give you a warm feeling when reading it. I was letting you know that we know our place.
  • Options

In 12 months our squad has become younger, better and we are in the top eight for the first time since 2008. Our losses are down by £3.5m over the last two seasons and we have one or two players who are a bit special.

I hadn't realised the financials were that bad and can see why your chairman voted in favour of loss limits going up again - as you simply have no plan to cut back.
    Clubs have been bank rolled for years but sooner or later the owner runs out of money or loses interest.

It's not entirely clear what is the ambition of our new owner but he has made a big difference in less than a year. A win on Saturday will give us three points but will also be a symbolic victory of new vs old.
    Did he vote in favour of loss limits going up? I genuinely haven't seen anything that said he did. Kindly point me in the direction of the article and I’ll digest it an alter my views accordingly :)
  • Options

Did he vote in favour of loss limits going up? I genuinely haven't seen anything that said he did. Kindly point me in the direction of the article and I’ll digest it an alter my views accordingly :)

Just look it up mate. Try the CAFC official site as well. You may still be non the wiser, but at least you will be better informed.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Trouble is Big Bad World that even if you are right and he is unusual enough to have the bug for throwing 10M at a business that has no realistic chance of success every year, where is the contingency? What if he does lose interest? What if he dies? Who else would want to cover the existing debt and then put in the required amount every year to compete in the second tier and at the wrong end of it?

This is absolutely the case for probably half the Championship so my comments are not Millwall specific (except for the two bob and generally unpopular bits!!).

Some clubs may get lucky with another rich idiot coming along, but I am sure I heard when we were being sold there is something like 20-30 clubs up for sale at the moment....if there really is a never ending line of wally billionaires out there why aren't they filling their boots?

Fans like instant success but the onus of longevity and stewardship should be on the guardians/owners to prolong the proud history of our clubs. By voting against FFP rules they have failed with this.
  • Options

Trouble is Big Bad World that even if you are right and he is unusual enough to have the bug for throwing 10M at a business that has no realistic chance of success every year, where is the contingency? What if he does lose interest? What if he dies? Who else would want to cover the existing debt and then put in the required amount every year to compete in the second tier and at the wrong end of it?

This is absolutely the case for probably half the Championship so my comments are not Millwall specific (except for the two bob and generally unpopular bits!!).

Some clubs may get lucky with another rich idiot coming along, but I am sure I heard when we were being sold there is something like 20-30 clubs up for sale at the moment....if there really is a never ending line of wally billionaires out there why aren't they filling their boots?

Fans like instant success but the onus of longevity and stewardship should be on the guardians/owners to prolong the proud history of our clubs. By voting against FFP rules they have failed with this.
    You have to remember that last season we had the Lomas debacle, a new manager, loads of players brought in and a big drop in revenue from donating our shirt sponsor to Prostate Cancer UK.

I don't think his plan to splash £10m every year. In fact they have stated the squad needs trimming drastically. There are too many players on too much money playing too few minutes. I think the summer will see a good clearout.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Redrobo said:

Just look it up mate. Try the CAFC official site as well. You may still be non the wiser, but at least you will be better informed.

You'll have to chuck a link at me, mate, as I can't find anything over and above the mention of '6 clubs'.

Thanks.

• Options

cabbles said:

I chose to put it in there to give you a warm feeling when reading it. I was letting you know that we know our place.
    You're obviously not all scum though, in the same way we're not all train spotters.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Thanks, twiggy.

Yeah, that's the article I've read. Nowhere does it mention any club other than Charlton so my point still stands.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

You continue to treat the consequences of the cup run and the fees from the sale of key players in January as if they were structural and have an ongoing effect on the position.

The structural change in 2013/14 was the reduction in playing budget, by the previous lot, which almost got us relegated. If RD has provided a squad of the current quality within that budget then that is the real gain, but it isn't £3.5m or anything like that, as you well know.

To compensate you put great weight on outsourcing catering and shirt sponsorship, while ignoring falling ticket revenue. It is unrealistic - or at best disproportionate.

What's left? Paul Hart is a potential saving of £200k, maybe the same again for miscellaneous other staff changes.

Based on known factors Charlton's 2014/15 loss seems likely to be higher than last year's, unless one of two things happen - a similar FA Cup run (or perhaps the play-off final) or the sale of a key player (taking into account compensation for Poyet).

That is RD's dilemma, but you can't have it both ways. If he ups the player budget to chase the PL the losses are likely to rise further as well.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

You have to remember that last season we had the Lomas debacle, a new manager, loads of players brought in and a big drop in revenue from donating our shirt sponsor to Prostate Cancer UK.

I don't think his plan to splash £10m every year. In fact they have stated the squad needs trimming drastically. There are too many players on too much money playing too few minutes. I think the summer will see a good clearout.
    Alarm bells ringing in the Lewisham branch of Boots !

"Treble that order of Senokot !"
  • Options

Let's be realistic. What do you imagine you could have got in shirt sponsorship - £100k? £200K?

And the company you've now signed up as shirt sponsor still isn't trading, despite promises going back to 2009 . . . just how long is that going to last?
  • Options
    cabbles said:

cabbles said:

You're obviously not all scum though, in the same way we're not all train spotters.
    But then again http://www.londonlive.co.uk/news/2014-11-21/unofficial-millwall-fc-message-board-rife-with-racism

Probably find an unofficial Charlton forum about train spotting now
  • Options

Let's be realistic. What do you imagine you could have got in shirt sponsorship - £100k? £200K?

And the company you've now signed up as shirt sponsor still isn't trading, despite promises going back to 2009 . . . just how long is that going to last?
    30% drop in advertising/sponsorship revenue....that 30% may have only been small, but still a big chunk to a club of our size.

Euroferries could be a disaster. Think we all know it could end next season, if not before.
  • Options
    Are there any known plans or rumours for the curent owner to sell the ground along with any other nearby land and move the club.