Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Malky Mackay - New Wigan Athletic Manager

Championship strugglers Wigan Athletic have appointed former Cardiff City boss Malky Mackay as their new manager.

The 42-year-old replaces Uwe Rosler, who was sacked on 13 November with the Latics third from bottom of the table.

Mackay was sacked by Cardiff last December, and in August it was reported he sent texts of a racist, sexist and homophobic nature while at the club.

MP Lisa Nandy had urged chairman Dave Whelan not to interview Mackay when searching for Rosler's replacement.

"I know that this appointment will draw criticism in some quarters but we go into it with our eyes open and we have nothing to hide on this subject," Whelan told the club website.

"Malky made a mistake, he knows that, we know that and we have discussed this issue at length face to face. He apologised publicly for what happened at the time and has paid for what he did, in terms of the bad publicity he has received since and will no doubt continue to suffer in the future.

"But I believe that it is now time to move on."

Whelan continued: "Contrary to the way he has been portrayed in recent months, the Malky Mackay I met this week, and who has been vouched for by the many different people from whom we have sought advice before making this appointment, is an honourable man.

"He is a committed family man with decent values and is a professional who has worked and thrived for over 20 years in the multi-cultural world of modern football.

"There is nothing more to say about this subject, and as far as I am concerned we draw a line under it from today."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30113956

Comments

• Options
    Mackay and Whelan should be a good fit
  • Options
    Banter
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Whelan must have agonised over whether to appoint MacKay or a 'coloured' manager.
  • Options
    not surprised
  • Options
    Well that is a shame, who would have thought Uwe Rosler would turn out to be the likeable Wigan manager this season. ;-)
  • Options
    Mackay's done well out of that. Thought he'd have to go lower than the Championship to find an employer.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Not surprised he got a job, but I'm surprised it's while the FA investigation is ongoing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Now that he has come back under the jurisdiction of the FA he could be charged.
  • Options
    Good appointment imo
  • Options
    Good appointment indeed
  • Options

If we had a vacancy I would have applauded his appointment. He,s done nothing that 95 percent of us haven't done, he just got exposed publicly. We all take the piss and use non PC banter within our circle of mates. Why should he be any different.

I await the 5 percent liberal bleeding heart gang arguing the other way.

Do you know mate, you're absolutely right. I suspect we've* all done or said something within our circle of friends that if exposed to the outside world would not look right.

* This, of course, excludes the bleeding heart gang who have never said an un-PC thing in their lives.
  • Options
    He shouldn't have done what he done. He's paid the price and now he gets on with his life. Nobody died so let's move on. Good luck to the sweaty sock.
  • Options
    I've also never heard anything bad said about him from anyone in the game. He is renowned for being a professional.

Good luck Malky
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He is still under investigation by the FA. Let's judge when the facts are properly established. If he is guilty of sustained discriminatory behaviour then he has no place in the game. If it was "laddish" banter that went too far, then he deserves another chance imo.
  • Options
    If Vincent Tan is as sharp as I think he is then he might have something else ready to drop on Mackay any day now.

Dish best served, icy cold.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

He is still under investigation by the FA. Let's judge when the facts are properly established. If he is guilty of sustained discriminatory behaviour then he has no place in the game. If it was "laddish" banter that went too far, then he deserves another chance imo.

From my understanding he is not under investigation from the FA. While he is not working the FA have no right to investigate him any more than you or I. The question is whether, when he becomes re-employed in football, The FA then open up an investigation. Personally I feel he has been stupid, lost his job but should be allowed back. These were private conversations and although stupid and wrong, shouldn't affect him being allowed back in football.

• Options
    Redskin and greenie ... That's First Nations and the wicked witch of the west offended... Just show you can't be casual about anything nowadays.
  • Options
    Mackay has publicly apologized without making excuses. He has also gone out of his way to enroll on diversity courses. This isn't a case of someone doing something wrong, then backtracking without showing any remorse.

Nobody has died, and we all make mistakes. He deserves a second chance.
  • Options
    I wouldn't want him near our club because I'm happy with the job Big Bob is doing, that aside so what if he's gone back into Management, as a few have said he's made a mistake.
    Hardly a danger to the public now is he.
  • Options

I can absolutely guarantee you that if you examined half the text messages sent by other managers to friends, they'd be out of a job.

I can absolutely guarantee you that if you examined half the text messages sent by the BRITISH public we'd all be out of jobs!!