Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Quick politics questionnaire

2»

Comments

• Options

Wouldn't be CL would it if...

a) Someone posts a simple 3 question on line questionaire

and

b) It gets dissected interminably till we lose sight of what the post was initially about.

Then don't create a survey with any ambiguity then.
  • Options

LenGlover said:

LenGlover said:

Kap10 said:

LenGlover said:

Greenie said:

What are the Mainstream Political parties, is UKIP now mainstream?

It's not regarded as such by the media although, as the party with the most UK MEPs, there is an argument to say it should be.

That said I answered the survey regarding UKIP as a minority party.
    My comments referred to party's traditionally regarded as mainstream. Liberals are not anymore.
    Says who?
    The electorate arguably.

They didn't do well in the Euro elections, despite proportional representation (1 MEP I believe), and have lost their deposit at a few recent by - elections.

The media regard them as mainstream though as did I for the purposes of the questionnaire.

I can see Kap's point though.
    I can't .

An opinion poll is not "the electorate".

My sitting MP is the current Energy minister. He'll be getting my vote, and I'm confident he will retain his seat, because he's a good hard working local MP. His party has a structure,a tradition, and policies built on that tradition. You may not agree with them, but they have them. UKIP have none of that.

Were the Euro elections an "opinion poll?" And are by-elections "opinion polls?"

I would have thought both are the electorate or at least that part of the electorate that wishes to engage.
    Neither have been accurate guides to general election results. Don't forget that the Lib Dem vote in 2010 was the strongest in years, possibly in my lifetime. They are going through a bad patch, the result of joining a coalition in a country not used to evaluating coalitions. To suggest that suddenly this makes them "not mainstream" is pretty thoughtless, but it wasn't you that said it.

the lib dems have seriously damaged their popularity. Particularly amongst young people - most of which actually voted for them. Their future is fucked.
    Maybe. Much the same was said about Labour in the 80s.
  • Options
    @PragueAddick‌ Lib Dems were only formed in 1988 so a Massive 26 years of tradition. They no longer have a single councillor representing them on Machester City Council and polled less votes than the Green Party at the 2014 Local Elections. I moved to Manchester City Centre in 2001 and my Ward the City Ward had always returned three Lib Dem Councillors. Since the General Election the local Lib Dem Party machine has imploded IF this is repeated across the country then as @kentaddick‌ they are ....ed!
  • Options
    Done.

Would love to see a similar survey on how people would vote at the moment, if they will at all.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Done. The alternative to the recognised political franchise are the manipulations of the multinational corporations, the single most powerful system, elected or otherwise. Two cheers for democracy!

I am not Russell Bland.
  • Options
    Done
  • Options
    Sorry if I'm stating the obvious or it wasnt a real question

Euro elections have very low turnout and often attract protest votes or exagerate certain parties

Bi elections also attract mid term protest votes

People believe neither 'matter'

The biggy of course is the general election, even then you are doing well to get 70pc turnout, but in some ways that is the real 'electorate'

Polls of course famously have deviation, scientifically, was it plusnor minus 5 pc so potentially big impact, but also cos people sometimes lie about who they vote for, apparently.

Finally labours vote is more consolidated so tend to get more seats with less votes

Saw something interesting that lab won one or two general elections without relying on scottish votr
  • Options

LenGlover said:

LenGlover said:

Kap10 said:

LenGlover said:

Greenie said:

It's not regarded as such by the media although, as the party with the most UK MEPs, there is an argument to say it should be.

My comments referred to party's traditionally regarded as mainstream. Liberals are not anymore.
    Says who?
    The electorate arguably.

They didn't do well in the Euro elections, despite proportional representation (1 MEP I believe), and have lost their deposit at a few recent by - elections.

The media regard them as mainstream though as did I for the purposes of the questionnaire.

I can't .

My sitting MP is the current Energy minister. He'll be getting my vote, and I'm confident he will retain his seat, because he's a good hard working local MP. His party has a structure,a tradition, and policies built on that tradition. You may not agree with them, but they have them. UKIP have none of that.

Were the Euro elections an "opinion poll?" And are by-elections "opinion polls?"

I would have thought both are the electorate or at least that part of the electorate that wishes to engage.
    Neither have been accurate guides to general election results. Don't forget that the Lib Dem vote in 2010 was the strongest in years, possibly in my lifetime. They are going through a bad patch, the result of joining a coalition in a country not used to evaluating coalitions. To suggest that suddenly this makes them "not mainstream" is pretty thoughtless, but it wasn't you that said it.

the lib dems have seriously damaged their popularity. Particularly amongst young people - most of which actually voted for them. Their future is fucked.
    labour weren't in a coalition government and they werent the 3rd largest party at the time. I'd say those that voted lib dems around my age are now going to vote green.
  • Options

LenGlover said:

LenGlover said:

Kap10 said:

LenGlover said:

Greenie said:

Says who?
    The electorate arguably.

I can't .

labour weren't in a coalition government and they werent the 3rd largest party at the time. I'd say those that voted lib dems around my age are now going to vote green.
    I don't know how old you are but they've had a massive increase in membership amongst young voters.
  • Options

LenGlover said:

LenGlover said:

Kap10 said:

LenGlover said:

Greenie said:

Says who?
    The electorate arguably.

I can't .

I don't know how old you are but they've had a massive increase in membership amongst young voters.
    lib dems? Maybe in 2010 election yes. Most of the people i knew who werent that interested in politics and did vote, voted lib dems. I'm sure they must've gained a lot of young members then as well. But the tuition fee rises and the fact clegg has become everything he said he wasnt means probably all of those that i know at least that voted lib dems won't and will never vote for them again.