Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

R.I.P Dessie Hughes

Legendary Irish trainer Dessie Hughes has died at the age of 71.
He trained his first winner on New Year's Day 1980 and was best known for winning back-to-back Champion Hurdles with Hardy Eustace in 2004 and 2005.

More recently, Our Conor put in a scintillating display for Hughes to land the Triumph Hurdle in 2013 before the horse suffered a fatal injury during this year's Champion Hurdle.

Hughes was also a successful jockey. He captured the blue-riband races at the Cheltenham Festival - the Gold Cup on Davy Lad for Mick O'Toole in 1977 and Monksfield in the 1979 Champion Hurdle for Des McDonogh.

Jockey Bryan Cooper tweeted: "He was one of the greatest trainers that we've ever seen and by far the best mentor and friend anyone could ever ask for."

Eddie O'Leary, racing manager for leading owners Gigginstown House Stud, who had horses with Hughes, said: "He was a fantastic trainer and a lovely man. He was a true gent.

"He will be sorely and deeply missed by all in racing. Thunder Of Roses will not run at Punchestown today as a mark of respect to the man."

Conor O'Dwyer, who rode Hardy Eustace in both his Champion Hurdle triumphs, said: "There's gentlemen and then there was Dessie Hughes.

"I've ridden for many good people during my career, but Dessie really stood out as a proper gentleman.

"We had some brilliant times together, some of the best times of my career. No one ever had a bad word to say about Dessie, and Dessie never had a bad word to say about anyone.

"He'd had some hard times, but he'd come through and seemed to be enjoying the best of his career. It's a sad day for everyone and for racing."

Barry Geraghty tweeted: "Very sad news to hear of Dessie Hughes's passing a Legend of our sport and thorough Gentleman all our thoughts are with his Family RIP."

There will be a tribute paid to Hughes at Cheltenham racecourse today at 12.40pm, followed by a minute's silence. Jockeys will wear black armbands.

He is survived by wife Eileen, son and champion jockey Richard and daughter Sandra.

Comments

• Options
    Rode and trained to such a high standard for over 40 years. Always came across as a gentleman and that's shown in some of the comments from the raving world this morning. Thoughts are with his family & friends today. Rest In Peace Mr Hughes.
  • Options
    Sad news. Another one of the old school passes away.
    RIP
  • Options
    Very sad RIP Dessie
  • Options
    Have just got back from the 3 day Open Festival at Cheltenham and they did a great tribute to Dessie yesterday by Alastair Down with some great footage on the the big screen plus a minutes silence.RIP Dessie
  • Options
    RIP