Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

One for SG3toSE7 - Sainsbury's Christmas Ad

Comments

• Options
    Great ad, I've always wondered how much of the Christmas Day kick abouts with the Germans in No Mans Land were legend and how much was truth but it's a brilliant story.
  • Options
    Saw this as a YouTube ad earlier, one of the only times I haven't pressed "Skip Ad" immediately. Brilliant ad.
  • Options
    Amazing advert.
  • Options
    Really nicely done by Sainsburys, sometimes these ads can seem a bit cynical but I don't get that from this one.
  • Options
    Great ad
  • Options
    They bought the whole ad break in Corrie last night for it (ahem, apparently).

Would love to know how much that cost!
  • Options
    I know we have some marketing peeps on here, so grateful if someone can explain to me the strategy in this.

The goal (i presume) is to increase sales. Getting your name out there, being talked about i could understand for a less popular, new brand looking for a publicity / recognition hit, but everyone knows Sainsbury's.

If i am influenced by an advert, it is because i see something i want to buy that is unique, appealing, or at good value.

Having an advert about soldiers playing football, or a penguin wanting a legover are entertaining, but they are not going to influence me in any way to do my shopping from Sainsbury's or John Lewis.

So what's the plan ?
  • Options

I know we have some marketing peeps on here, so grateful if someone can explain to me the strategy in this.

The goal (i presume) is to increase sales. Getting your name out there, being talked about i could understand for a less popular, new brand looking for a publicity / recognition hit, but everyone knows Sainsbury's.

If i am influenced by an advert, it is because i see something i want to buy that is unique, appealing, or at good value.

Having an advert about soldiers playing football, or a penguin wanting a legover are entertaining, but they are not going to influence me in any way to do my shopping from Sainsbury's or John Lewis.

So what's the plan ?

it's subliminal. The John Lewis one is encouraging you to go to Sainsbury's to get some penguins. Havn't a Scooby what the Sainsbury's one is telling you.

• Options
    A bar of Sainsbury ' s chocolate...

Cynical exploitation.

Flag away.
  • Options
    It's an improvement on Paul Mcartney or Jona Lewi efforts when it comes to the set and uniforms etc

The ad has caused some debate among the academic community over trivialising or exploiting the Great War, I think it's very well done and raises money for the RBL as well I am told.

No complaints from me, slightly off topic but I was involved with a similar Hovis ad a few years ago that went through the decades that showed soldiers off to the front.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Two of the boys in the advert are from Chislehurst both Millwall unfortunately still a great ad
  • Options
    The strategy that John Lewis, Sainsburys and M&S have gone for is the feel good factor of Christmas and the talk value the ads create. They are also mini films. For instance this ad has been posted on here and we're talking about it and Sainsburys. They probably feel that their brands are strong enough to take this more indirect approach. It's more about reinforcing the brand rather than pushing individual products. For the most part Tesco and Argos are much more product focused this time of year.
  • Options
    Brilliant advert. Much better than the crappy john Lewis one
  • Options
    superb ad
  • Options

Brilliant advert. Much better than the crappy john Lewis one

You're such a geeza GJ :-)

The sad little penguin had me blubbing away. Melt :-)

The snowmen were much better than the penguins though !
  • Options
    Impressed by that. Shame though that they could not all jump out of their trenches, advance towards Sepp Blatter and give him a bloody good kicking...
  • Options
    Monetising war is cynical exploitation to my way of thinking.
  • Options
    I have marketing on my CV, but this is just a personal opinion. I have been saying for a long time that some Ad Agencies are losing sight of the basic reason for advertising, and spending too much time trying to be funny, or having spectacular visuals. I have lost count of the number of times my wife and I say ' what the hell is this going to be an ad for ? ' Whatever happened to the good old Features and Benefits ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iainment said:

Advertising is cynical exploitation to my way of thinking.

• Options
    Granpa said:

I have marketing on my CV, but this is just a personal opinion. I have been saying for a long time that some Ad Agencies are losing sight of the basic reason for advertising, and spending too much time trying to be funny, or having spectacular visuals. I have lost count of the number of times my wife and I say ' what the hell is this going to be an ad for ? ' Whatever happened to the good old Features and Benefits ?

I think that then they have done their job.
  • Options
    If their job was to annoy me Henry then you are right, if their job was to sell their product, no dice.
  • Options
    But they have you talking about their ad so it has worked.
  • Options
    iainment said:

Monetising war is cynical exploitation to my way of thinking.

Not like you...
  • Options
    Going against the grain here but this isn't an ad I'd like to see multiple times. As a one off piece I think it's good but if I had to watch one once a day I'd plump for the more lighthearted penguin one.
  • Options

But does that ever / always transfer through into increased sales ?

• Options
    Excellent Ad.

Couple of points - don't think it actually snowed at Ploegstreet Christmas 1914 and having kicked a ball or two on the actual field, not only isn't it level (slopes up to the German lines) but it would have been well ploughed before the trenches arrived.

Bloody Germans won that game too.
  • Options

But does that ever / always transfer through into increased sales ?

No, not always.

Depends how well it's done and if it hits the right note with the right people.

But right now if someone said "where can we go looking for xmas stuff?" the name you have in your head is "John Lewis". you might not end up there but they are on your list.

Ditto Sainsbury's for the Chocolate bar and another £200 quids worth of stuff.