Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chinatown restaurants- Any recommendations?

I have to arrange a meal at Chinatown for my wife's uncles 50th, I have been looking all day and cant seem to find a decent one.

If anyone has any head ups, that would be great.

Cheers,

Comments

• Options
    What kind are you looking for? There's a great one on Gerrard St or Lisle St (can't remember which but it's the one closest to Leicester Sq) where they make the dumplings in the window. It seems one of the most authentic.

Also, there's My Old Place in E1 or the City that is very authentic but can be very spicy.
  • Options
    Cheers mate. Well he loves China town so wanted a walk about and then some nice grub, nothing too fancy. Just a general all rounder.
  • Options
    Leong's Legends is fantastic. Cheap too.
  • Options
    Golden Dragon is the outstanding Chinese restaurant in Soho.
  • Options
    Wong Kei in Wardour Street. It used to be known for the gruff staff (rudest restaurant in London was claimed) but that was the attraction in a way, abuse but stunning food (and cheap).

It's changed its approach now, apparently, but the food is still just as good I hear.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    robroy said:

Cheers mate. Well he loves China town so wanted a walk about and then some nice grub, nothing too fancy. Just a general all rounder.

I bet he does.

I like Hung's but I'm usually s**tfaced when I go there so don't listen to me.
  • Options
    Won Kei
  • Options
    jamescafc said:

Won Kei

no, s**tfaced
  • Options
    Four seasons is very good. Won kei has gone down hill, I remember when the original restaurant was down a little alley just down from where they are now, the service was always bad but comical but the food was superb, then they moved to Wardour st, the service was much the same as was the food, but the last time we went there we waited ages and ages (which you never had too) and to be honest the food was at best average! I wont be going back, not when there are so many good Chinese restaurants so close by.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Golden Dragon is the outstanding Chinese restaurant in Soho.

Came on this to say exactly that. Love a good set meal in there, has always been quality.
  • Options
    Wun hung Lo in soho is a popular place.
  • Options
    Leong's Legends - best dim sum in London
  • Options
    I went to Sum ting wong last year, but got food poisoning, so I'd avoid it........
  • Options
    About 7 years ago I worked on an air handling unit based at the back of an office above a restaurant, to access it I had to walk down an alley that ran between the back of all the restaurants, after what I saw it's safe to say I will never eat in Chinatown, things may have changed now and could probably be said about a lot of places but that was enough for me.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Ta Lings pie n mash shop. Just don't do a double take on the fillings...
  • Options

robroy said:

I like Hung's but I'm usually s**tfaced when I go there so don't listen to me.
    This - been in there many times out of my face.

Then I went in sober and had a meal - pretty bloody rank!

• Options
    plum valley china town, not particularly cheap but really good food.
  • Options
    I am Chinese so can give you some advice. Are you after dim sum or a la carte? If you want one with pleasant surroundings than Imperial China is good: http://www.imperialchina-london.com

If you fancy decent dim sum then Joy King Lau: http://www.joykinglau.com (but get there early to avoid queuing which can get chaotic or try to reserve a table).

Outside Chinatown I would definitely recommend Phoenix Palace near Baker Street or Hunan in Pimlico (near-ish to Victoria station). They are very, very good.

Hope the birthday goes well.
  • Options
    There is no good Chinese food to be had in Chinatown. They cater for pissed up English long pigs and tourists.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not quite true Redskin... if you know where to go and what to order you can avoid the traps.
  • Options
    Imperial China is good, went a few months back really enjoyed it (non-pissed)
  • Options

I am Chinese so can give you some advice. Are you after dim sum or a la carte? If you want one with pleasant surroundings than Imperial China is good: http://www.imperialchina-london.com

If you fancy decent dim sum then Joy King Lau: http://www.joykinglau.com (but get there early to avoid queuing which can get chaotic or try to reserve a table).

Outside Chinatown I would definitely recommend Phoenix Palace near Baker Street or Hunan in Pimlico (near-ish to Victoria station). They are very, very good.

Hope the birthday goes well.

Booked Imperial China, will report back. Thanks for the heads up.
  • Options
    Fung Shing used to be excellent on Lisle Street
  • Options

I went to Sum ting wong last year, but got food poisoning, so I'd avoid it........

© Jim Davidson (1974)