Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Yet another night of fireworks, when will this insanity of 10 days of this stuff end?

edited November 2014 in Not Sports Related
organised displays on the nearest Saturday and 5th Nov only, and no more

anyone with pets particularly dogs will know what hell this is also, but even without it is crazy.

My dog is severely traumatised, and refusing to walk on his usual round in the evenings, I'd never appreciated before now just how bad it is for them. But like I say without that, its just too much.

Comments

• Options
    I'd say 6th November
  • Options
    dizzee said:

I'd say 6th November

Not a chance
    There will be partys and organised displays this weekend, then the fireworks go on huge discount sale making them affordable for teenagers.

December it normally stops. My dog who died last year could hear a frickin sparkler a mile away, the first one of the night and hed going into drooling shaking zombie of a dog until the morning. 6 weeks of fireworks every year guaranteed.

• Options
    Diwali last week doesn't help either as they celebrate it with fireworks too.
  • Options
    Having real bouts of insomnia atm. Saturday night, stayed up to watch a film, then nice shower and off to beddy boo byes. 3.00 in the morning some brainless doasyoulikey cnut let off the biggest firework of the night. Car alarms going off, dogs going garratty... FFS! That's my first night of good sleep down the swanny... I could of cheerfully lit a firework of a similar size, guessing a Saturn 5 and shoved it up the inconsiderate pricks derriere... Twat!!!!
  • Options
    I don't usually mind, but my neighbours were letting them off in their back garden at 11pm last night. Didn't really bother me & we also back onto a railway line so used to noise until midnight but just thought it a tad late to be setting off anything.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Honesty think they should ban the sale of fireworks. Organised displays only.

Agreed. The fireworks sold in supermarkets and on the high street are poxy, cheap and naff. Loud bangs and hardly any light. Not sure how anyone can find them even mildly entertaining. Unfortunately, the people who are stupid enough to buy them are also stupid enough not to realise how annoying they are to neighbours.
  • Options
    yup they seem to be much later this year too
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "Insanity of 10 days of this stuff"

The end point is probably about 10 days.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

You know you're getting old when you're starting to complain about fireworks.

Yep, and as someone who used to go to regular displays and held displays at schools, until I had a dog did not realise the trauma that animals go through.
    I can tolerate a few evenings, but the endless nights of it, around here is way over the top. Frankly I am astonished that people have that amount of money to spend going up in smoke. Feel as though it should be restricted to the 4\5\6th and the following Saturday.
  • Options
    Make it illegal
  • Options
    Like Ken it really didn't bother me that much until I became a dog owner. She's just turned two in August so this is her third firework season. She slept through it all puppy style the first year, last year wasn't too bad but this year has been awful.
  • Options
    Ooh, now this is a thread where I can don my Victor Meldew head.

Totally agree with those saying they should be banned from public sale.
    I also find it strange that those people who moan all year round about the cost of living and moan that xmas is coming and can't afford presents for the kids, then think nothing of going out and spending £100 on a box of shit fireworks.

What makes it stranger, is that every year Gravesend council do a free display off of a barge on the thames, which I must admit is excellent, if you have any interest in them.

Also agree regarding pets. My dog won't even go out for a night time wee without me going in the garden with her and although she doesn't bark at them, her personality changes she will follow me into whatever room I go to and won't relax.

Fugging hate the things...............
  • Options
    No problem with them provided idiots don't fire them at each other or innocent members of the public.
  • Options
    The law says that you must not set off fireworks between 11pm and 7am. The exceptions are:

Bonfire Night, when the cut off is midnight
    New Year’s Eve, Diwali and Chinese New Year, when the cut off is 1am

I agree that they should be restricted to the Saturday before & after 5th November and 5th November plus those dates above. My cats are terrified and can't be let out during the evening for about three weeks around Bonfire night.
  • Options

The law says that you must not set off fireworks between 11pm and 7am. The exceptions are:

Bonfire Night, when the cut off is midnight
    New Year’s Eve, Diwali and Chinese New Year, when the cut off is 1am

I agree that they should be restricted to the Saturday before & after 5th November and 5th November plus those dates above. My cats are terrified and can't be let out during the evening for about three weeks around Bonfire night.

So fireworks should only be allowed:

...between 8am and 11pm from the saturday before 5th November and the Saturday after 5th November aside from on the 3 extra holidays you mention.

If the 5th November is a Saturday then assumedly not the Friday before or Sunday after, or at any other time.

Is this not a little dictatorial ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hate fireworks with a vengeance. Living in the Netherlands, fireworks are let off all year round. It is so bad from the middle of December to the middle of January that our dog has to go in to kennels to save him from a heart attack. The main point is that it is illegal to let off fireworks at any other time apart from 10pm 31 December to 02am 01 January. Most of the problem comes from brain dead adults and not children.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Come on now. They're a spectacle and they give people enjoyment, the whole family can get together and watch. Have you ever seen a kid look up at the sky with that look of wonder in their eyes, even if it's just a few crappy rockets? I have such fond memories of watching my Dad let off fireworks in the back garden, and eating a steaming hot, buttery jacket potato that got put in the bonfire, and the smell of the smoke on my clothes.

I'm truly sorry if your dog doesn't like it. But "my dog is upset" doesn't rank high on a list of reasons to ban something that's a centuries-old British tradition, festive and fun.

I agree, and I think most people do Chunes, the complaint is that it goes on for about two weeks when it should be one night - when I were a lad it was November 5th, whichever night that fell on, and that was it. However, it has been spread out over a couple of weeks for many years now, so when folk got their dogs, they were aware that was the case. Not saying it's right, but it's a fact.
  • Options
    No VG, it really shouldn't. Having said that my two aren't bothered, they'd sleep through anything.
  • Options

Anything that scares cats should be made even more readily available and encouraged.

One of our little feckers sneaked into my daughters bedroom and pissed all over her Anna and Elsa wigs (Disney Frozen) on Saturday night. Not only did we have the arse ache of hand washing them, we then had to fend of questions in the morning as to why they were on the dryer. "But daddy, they were new and didn't need washing"

Took me ages to get the wigs in the first place and now they've dried they don't look right.

How I ever let my missus talk me into getting cats I'll never know!
  • Options
    and you think you've got problems.
  • Options

Having real bouts of insomnia atm. Saturday night, stayed up to watch a film, then nice shower and off to beddy boo byes. 3.00 in the morning some brainless doasyoulikey cnut let off the biggest firework of the night. Car alarms going off, dogs going garratty... FFS! That's my first night of good sleep down the swanny... I could of cheerfully lit a firework of a similar size, guessing a Saturn 5 and shoved it up the inconsiderate pricks derriere... Twat!!!!

Do you live in the westcombe park area? I was woken up at 3 on Saturday night too..