Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tommy Steele

Just watched a clip on you tube of him,and was thinking is it about time he was Knighted he has an OBE but the amount of things he has done over a career lasting nearly Sixty Years he should get the top accolade.

Comments

• Options
    But what has he done since the late 50's and early 60's? His whole act was made to look ridiculously out of date once the Beatles and Stones came along. He has starred in a lot of West End musicals but mainly because he produced and financed them himself.
    His main contemporary in this country was Cliff, whatever you think of Cliff at least he has continually tried re-invented his music to keep it somewhere near modern. Tommy Steele is probably still singing Little White Bull somewhere tonight.
    Still has a full English every Thursday morning in The Blue I understand.
  • Options
    The only thing that would justify a knighthood would surely be if Steele is or was heavily involved in charitable causes. I have no idea if he has or has not been so involved. As Riviera opines, mere old age and a long career mostly spent under the radar should not really qualify him for a knighthood.
  • Options
    Isnt he a Milwall Fan
  • Options
    certainly been out of public eye for a long time ....extremely talented though ,maybe the low profile was his choice

thought he played a lot of squash at one time
  • Options
    He should be knighted on Little White Bull alone. One of my all time favourites when a kid growing up in the Old Kent Road.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Yeah - what talent. I remember back in 1957/8 he was being hailed as Britain's answer to Elvis Presley. Ha ha. He even managed to make Guy Mitchell sound cool. The movie, THE TOMMY STEELE STORY was one of the most cringeworthy 'rock n roll' movies of all time.
  • Options
    My mum once said that Tommy Steele celebrated his wedding reception at The Rising Sun in Eltham. Not sure if she was right.
  • Options
    She only said it once? Maybe you miss-heard her....
  • Options

My mum once said that Tommy Steele celebrated his wedding reception at The Rising Sun in Eltham. Not sure if she was right.

On this occasion your Mum was wrong John, it was at The Savoy but an easy mistake to make....

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/tommy-steele-wedding-1
  • Options
    I love the film Half a Sixpence, he lived round the corner from my nan in Bermondsey.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He made a few half decent rock n roll tracks, but pretty swiftly decided to go down the all round entertainer route. Did pretty well at it to be fair. Now mainly works as a sculptor and artist.
  • Options

My mum told me he was good at snooker. He was very good, she said, with that little white ball.
  • Options
    think he bought a place for his mum just the forest hill side of catford bridge ..incidentally my mum didnt tell me that
  • Options
    lolwray said:

think he bought a place for his mum just the forest hill side of catford bridge.

Surely that's worth a knighthood?
  • Options
    Riviera said:

lolwray said:

think he bought a place for his mum just the forest hill side of catford bridge.

Surely that's worth a knighthood?
    no i ll politely decline if asked thankyou

• Options
    lolwray said:

think he bought a place for his mum just the forest hill side of catford bridge ..incidentally my mum didnt tell me that

Reminds me of the Peter Sellers sketch.....A Tommy Steele was
    being interviewed...." Now you've have a bit of money you have been able to buy your mum and dad a small house, I bet they were pleased" " No they wasn't, cos they had a big one before that"