Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Poppy Seller Burnt in Manchester Attack

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-29870960

Just who have we let and are still letting come to live in this country ?

I was in Rotherham on Saturday. Close to the station were a teenaged boy and girl selling poppies. They were dressed in army combat uniform. Over the street I noticed that they were being watched and quietly mocked by a group of young Asians. I mentioned this to them. They replied that they were not too concerned as lots of policemen were close by on duty for the football match, Rotherham v Middlesbrough, but that they would pack up and move on as soon as the police left the area.

Later that day, after the match whilst waiting for my train, I went along to the Meadowhall Centre, a very busy shopping complex. It was very busy as it usually is. I was wearing a small metal poppy attached to my coat. I received a few hostile remarks aimed at me by young Asians, presumably because of the poppy. The remarks were uttered in a foreign language so I can't be certain what was said. I know that they were not utterances of a 'hello, nice to see you' type.
I noticed that very few people of any race or obvious nationality (the majority of people in the centre were white/Europeans) were wearing poppies. I wondered if this was because of overt and covert hostility experienced by poppy wearers. Perhaps the lack of poppy wearing was simply through indifference. Who knows ?

These were perhaps isolated incidents. In the past, in London during the 'Irish Troubles' I have met hostility through my wearing of the poppy in November. But all in all, Saturday was a rather disquieting day and rather indicated to me that far from becoming one nation the UK is fast becoming a fractured and unsettling society. Am I merely getting old(er) and more paranoid or are my suspicions justified ?

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Please do not start blaming immigrants for this hideous attack. I would prefer that the police establish who carried it out before we make accusations.
  • Options

Please do not start blaming immigrants for this hideous attack. I would prefer that the police establish who carried it out before we make accusations.

He was talking more about his experiences on Saturday. Feeling intimdated by groups who openly mock in another language would indeed suggest they weren't native...
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

He was talking more about his experiences on Saturday. Feeling intimdated by groups who openly mock in another language would indeed suggest they weren't native...
    There are plenty of British born people of Asian descent who talk to each other in a language other than English.
  • Options
    Tell me these no good foreigners at least pointed at the poppy while 'insulting' you in another language?

The fact of the matter is the people involved feel they can intimidate and mock British people on their own soil without fear of any repercussions, simply because there wouldn't be any repercussions as we as a nation turn a blind eye and allow people to behave how they like really.

I have no doubt the people involved with Lincs scenario were born, bred schooled in Britain.

Its just disrespectful, if the scenario was vice versa it would end up with their head or hands chopped off.

So to be clear, the 'fact of the matter' is based on a post that was based on a presumption (I'd call it an assumption) that was based on comments made in a foreign language that the OP didn't understand? And youre happy to declare that you have 'no doubts' about the alleged abuser's upbringing and which school they went to?

And you guys think this is all sensible?
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Tell me these no good foreigners at least pointed at the poppy while 'insulting' you in another language?

The fact of the matter is the people involved feel they can intimidate and mock British people on their own soil without fear of any repercussions, simply because there wouldn't be any repercussions as we as a nation turn a blind eye and allow people to behave how they like really.

I have no doubt the people involved with Lincs scenario were born, bred schooled in Britain.

Its just disrespectful, if the scenario was vice versa it would end up with their head or hands chopped off.

So to be clear, the 'fact of the matter' is based on a post that was based on a presumption (I'd call it an assumption) that was based on comments made in a foreign language that the OP didn't understand? And youre happy to declare that you have 'no doubts' about the alleged abuser's upbringing and which school they went to?

Whatever .. and what do you make of the arson attack on the poppy seller ?
  • Options
    Not going into it, you know what I mean, this isn't just an isolated case iit happens all over, the burning of American and British flags in demos, the taunting of returning soldiers just an example.
    It's a minority but they should be dealt with by the government for their views whilst on our soil. In my opinion.
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

A lunatic sprayed an apparently normal person with an aerosol and a lighter. Everything else is speculation.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

A lunatic sprayed an apparently normal person with an aerosol and a lighter. Everything else is speculation.
    A lunatic described as a young black or Asian man who just happened to have a flammable aerosol on his person and haphazardly decided to spray and set light not to just anyone else on the street but to a 'normal person' who happened to be wearing a form of military garb and was selling commemorative poppies .. I know what I saw in Rotherham, the Asians mocking the young poppy sellers and I am pretty certain of the hostility I felt as a poppy wearer in Meadowhall .. I will speculate that you are a devoted computer games player and have lost a great deal of sensitivity and awareness as to what is really going on in the outside world
  • Options
    He was described for the purpose of identification. They've not got a motive yet. You may be right, or it may be a gang thing, or he may be clinically psychotic. If it turns out he did it in the name of a god, I'd still argue he's just a nutcase, but I'm sure he'll be dealt with accordingly. I don't see this stuff as an epidemic that's being ignored by the cops.

The way you tie view this incident and tie it with your own experiences reduces your credibility, in my opinion, when it comes to the alleged first hand accounts. If you're right, and there's a subgroup of immigrants who hate poppies, then that's really worrying. But then there's the gamer comment, which is so silly that it wouldn't be worth mentioning if it wasn't so pertinent; you make some really stupid assumptions.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

He was described for the purpose of identification. They've not got a motive yet. You may be right, or it may be a gang thing, or he may be clinically psychotic. If it turns out he did it in the name of a god, I'd still argue he's just a nutcase, but I'm sure he'll be dealt with accordingly. I don't see this stuff as an epidemic that's being ignored by the cops.

You wearing thoses rose coloured glasses, this goes on everywhere, but our great government and press say nothing, these guys hate the uk, many are born here but feel they have the right to abuse us without recourse. Its getting worse and worse, and your comments re lets see who did it are nieve and typically head in the sand attitude........get real this was an attack against somebody selling poppys to remember those who gave thier life's for us (take it u were against the tribute before the game last Saturday).

• Options
    Thought that this post from last Remembrance Day was worth a revisit given the chat about flag waving/wearing