Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Acker Bilk R.I.P.

Apologies if already posted. Gone at 85. "Stranger On The Shore" enduring boyhood memory.

Comments

• Options
    RIP, never saw him live, but as you say stranger on the shore was part of my childhood, brother used to go and see him at chistlehurst caves.
  • Options
    RIP - I loved dancing to Midnight In Moscow, one of my favourite records.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    One of my dad's favourite musicians.

Our bungalow was always a bit of a musical war zone what with my dads renditions of 'Stranger on the Shore' on his clarinet coming out of the living room vs my endless guitar renditions of Smoke on The Water from my bedroom.

He did manage to convince me to go see Acker at the Tramshed though, blurred memories of smokey room and slightly drunk mum n dad.

Rest In Peace Acker, or at least get everyone in the next world dancing
  • Options
    Blimey. Although slightly familiar with his work, I assumed he died years ago.........

RIP
  • Options
    The KOP remembers.
  • Options
    RIP to one of British jazz's most important personalities.
  • Options
    RIP Acker. Part of the soundtrack to my youth...
  • Options
    Stranger on the Shore------as above part of my youth

RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Always a lively presence on (I think) Sunday lunch times on the 'light programme' .. a terrific musician and the leader of a terrific band .. RIP Friend Acker
  • Options
    Brings back memories of parents and grandparents just thinking about that tune Stranger On The Shore.

RIP Acker Bilk. Another link to childhood gone.

• Options
    r i p the first goatee.
  • Options
    RIP Acker. Certainly a blast from my childhood.
  • Options
    Had a clarinet at 15 but could only play by reading music. I could not get any sheet music for Stranger on the Shore, so was banned to the garage, where I learnt to play bit by bit from memory. Only time I have done this, always thought it was a beautiful piece of music, until I played it. RIP
  • Options

RIP - I loved dancing to Midnight In Moscow, one of my favourite records.

Was'nt that Kenny Ball?
  • Options
    It was Kenny Ball, first record I bought at the end of first week at work.