Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Whom

This is the one word that really makes me cringe when people misuse it. Anyone else agree? Or are there other words which people misapply?

Comments

• Options
    Used after the object of a sentence if my memory from well over 40 years ago serves me right.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    whom ever knows how to use it proper is a clever clogs
  • Options
    According to my recollection isn't it the sound a warthog makes when farting at the waterhole?
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    It's widely used by everyday folk, most of whom, don't know how to use it properly.

P.S. - It was all George......Ridgeley was just there to make up the numbers along with Pepsi and Shirley.
  • Options
    Whatever happened to Andrew Ridgely?
  • Options
    whomsoever stir up the shit .. shall fall in it .. Bob Marley
  • Options
    If I kick Henry Irving up the arse a question might follow "whom did SHG kick up the arse ?" Or alternatively " who kicked Henry Irving up the arse"

The resultant use of whom is dependant on the answer being either the kicker or the recipient of the kick.
  • Options

If I kick Henry Irving up the arse a question might follow "whom did SHG kick up the arse ?" Or alternatively " who kicked Henry Irving up the arse"

The resultant use of whom is dependant on the answer being either the kicker or the recipient of the kick.

Can't you just kick him and then we'll chew the grammatical fat afterwards?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:

This is the one word that really makes me cringe when people misuse it.

Only one? You surprise me ;-)
  • Options
    Misuse of the word "I" makes me cringe, but it's not the end of the world.
  • Options
    IA said:

Feel the same about the word "Armageddon" ;-)
  • Options
    I still struggle to sleep with the amount of anythinKs and nothinKs ringing around my head.
  • Options
    Start giving out some of your flags when it's misused. Cringing.
  • Options

Chizz said:

Yes, it's the one that really grates, as far as I am concerned. Because, with almost all other mistakes, as long as you know what the person is trying to say, you can forgive them if they simply don't know what's right and what's wrong. But it often appears that, with "whom", there are people who know how to use it, people who don't and the third type of person, ie someone who slips it into a sentence to make it look as if they are more knowledgeable than they are.

It's like a stepover in football. If you do it right, that's great; if you don't do it because you can't, that's ok; but if you try it, fall on your arse and lose the ball because you're totally crap, then you're a cockwomble of the highest order.
  • Options
    IA said:

Me too. But people that get "I" and "me" wrong usually do it because they have never learned it correctly. People that get "whom" wrong are often those that try to use a "clever" word to make them look superior, which is horrible.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Yes, it's the one that really grates, as far as I am concerned. Because, with almost all other mistakes, as long as you know what the person is trying to say, you can forgive them if they simply don't know what's right and what's wrong. But it often appears that, with "whom", there are people who know how to use it, people who don't and the third type of person, ie someone who slips it into a sentence to make it look as if they are more knowledgeable than they are.

It's like a stepover in football. If you do it right, that's great; if you don't do it because you can't, that's ok; but if you try it, fall on your arse and lose the ball because you're totally crap, then you're a cockwomble of the highest order.
    But you're obviously fine with the misuse of apostrophes.

• Options
    The Whom were a great band.
    Roger Adultry swinging his mic
    John Refwhistle with his deadpan expression
    Pete townsfolk with his windmill
    Keith Lunar bashing away and flying his Apollo landing craft into swimming pools.

Don't make em like that anymore..........
  • Options
    Chizz said:

IA said:

Me too. But people that get "I" and "me" wrong usually do it because they have never learned it correctly. People that get "whom" wrong are often those that try to use a "clever" word to make them look superior, which is horrible.
    Hmm, OK but I see it the other way around.

I don't mind people saying "me" when they should say "my" or "I", but saying "I" when you mean "me" always sounds to me like an attempt to appear superior. I don't lose any sleep about it, but I notice it.

I'm not sure the word "whom" will survive for many more generations.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    IA said:

I don't mind people saying "me" when they should say "my" or "I", but saying "I" when you mean "me" always sounds to me like an attempt to appear superior. I don't lose any sleep about it, but I notice it.

Me feel the same about that.............
  • Options

IA said:

Me feel the same about that.............
    Whom the hell am you to say that?
    One can't believe it.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Chizz said:

Whoosh. There's a word that's often misused.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    HOMEGRAMMAR AND USAGEUSAGE‘WHO’ OR ‘WHOM’?
    ‘Who’ or ‘whom’?

There’s a continuing debate in English usage about when you should use who and when to use whom. According to the rules of formal grammar, who should be used in the subject position in a sentence, while whom should be used in the object position, and also after a preposition. For example:

Who made this decision? [here, who is the subject of the sentence]

Whom do you think we should support? [here, whom is the object of support]

To whom do you wish to speak? [here, whom is following the preposition to]

Some people do still follow these rules but there are many more who never use whom at all. Common practice in current English is to use who in all contexts, i.e.:

Who do you think we should support?

Who do you wish to speak to?

You can read more about the rules and guidelines about when to use who and when to use whom on the Oxford Dictionaries blog. Here you will find tips on using who and whom as relative pronouns and useful tips on how to get it right in writing and in speech.
  • Options
    I can't seem to find a copy of 'for who the bell tolls' on Amazon
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

HOMEGRAMMAR AND USAGEUSAGE‘WHO’ OR ‘WHOM’?
    ‘Who’ or ‘whom’?

There’s a continuing debate in English usage about when you should use who and when to use whom. According to the rules of formal grammar, who should be used in the subject position in a sentence, while whom should be used in the object position, and also after a preposition. For example:

Who made this decision? [here, who is the subject of the sentence]

Whom do you think we should support? [here, whom is the object of support]

To whom do you wish to speak? [here, whom is following the preposition to]

Some people do still follow these rules but there are many more who never use whom at all. Common practice in current English is to use who in all contexts, i.e.:

Who do you think we should support?

Who do you wish to speak to?

You can read more about the rules and guidelines about when to use who and when to use whom on the Oxford Dictionaries blog. Here you will find tips on using who and whom as relative pronouns and useful tips on how to get it right in writing and in speech.

Thanks, Fowlers Modern English Usage Colin.
  • Options
    Redskin said:

Chizz said:

Chizz said:

But you're obviously fine with the misuse of apostrophes.

Have I missed one?
  • Options
    WSS said:

@paulie8290‌ could of started this thread...

Whom has been writing "could of" instead of "could have"?
  • Options

WSS said:

@paulie8290‌ could of started this thread...

WhomWho has been writing "could of" instead of "could have"?
    As "who/whom" is the subject rather than the object of your sentence we use "who".
  • Options
    'Whom your man'. That was one of theirs.
    'Wake me up before you go go'.