Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic Historical Timelines

2»

Comments

• Options
    Dulwich Hamlet Reserves on 23/12/1911 at Dulwich, by 2-1. Winning goal was an own goal.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Many thanks, that info is much appreciated.
    I've been looking through old newspaper archives, but could not find a reference to that defeat.
    There seems to be more surviving coverage of the Western section of the SSL that season.
  • Options
    lardiman said:
    Many thanks, that info is much appreciated.
    I've been looking through old newspaper archives, but could not find a reference to that defeat.
    There seems to be more surviving coverage of the Western section of the SSL that season.
    Which papers are you reading?
  • Options
    Mostly local papers associated with Charlton's opponents in the SSL that season;
    South London Press, Bromley Chronicle, papers from Croydon & Wimbledon. I couldn't find any Kentish Independent material from 1911-12, and very little Woolwich Herald.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Annoyingly the KI hasn't been digitised past about 1910
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Thanks again for your help though.
    Finding out about the early days & amateur era has become something of a hobby for me, but my time and resources are limited.
    I know those far off times were hard for working folk, but I can't help attaching some romanticism to that era. It seems less cynical and more sporting; players had to be tough to play a tough game, and were not pampered. I'ts a joy to gradually find out about how our Club grew and evolved in those years.
  • Options
    @lardiman

Paul Baker, one of the museum trustees, is working on a book about our pre-league history and is equally passionate about that era.

Email us on cafchistorian@gmail.com and I'll put you in touch.

And if you haven’t already you should visit the museum, we have a few good early medals etc
  • Options
    What an excellent thread