Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Long haul flights - any top tips?

edited October 2014 in Not Sports Related
Travelling to Houston, TX from Heathrow tomorrow afternoon. Anything you've found that help the long journey go a bit quicker?

Comments

• Options
    Lots of booze.
  • Options
    Couple of 10mg Valium Usually does the trick for me
  • Options
    Don't have a poo in the air
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

Don't have a poo in the air

I just had a curry for dinner... probably not a good choice in that case. I'll have to drop all the kids off before boarding.
  • Options
    Don't have a poo before you go
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    When can I have a poo?

(...don't think I've ever made a weirder post on CharltonLife)
  • Options
    45 minutes after you've landed is usually safe
  • Options
    shine166 said:

and or abuse all the free alcohol, pass out.
  • Options
    Make sure you're as far away from babies and toddlers as possible.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dress sharp and try and blag an upgrade
  • Options
    Dress like a baby and try to blag a nappy
  • Options
    Don't matter when you shit then
  • Options

Make sure you're as far away from babies and toddlers as possible.

Fumbluff said:

Dress like a baby and try to blag a nappy

These seem sound advice but how should I go about doing both?
  • Options

shine166 said:

and or abuse all the free alcohol, pass out.
    Tried that, a hangover on the plane wasn't great.. Although I'm not a great drinker
  • Options

masturbate. It's not illegal, just frowned upon.

Ask for a blanket!
  • Options
    Not just a blanket, you'll also need a sparrow, an acorn and three level tablespoons of Nesquik (banana)
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I recommend that you plan the flight rather like you plan any other day of your life. The first thing is to sort out when or if you are going to sleep. You want to wake up in Houston as close to the right time zone as possible. Don't get too much too sleep - it is better to be tired than wide awake. You want to be tired when it is bedtime in Houston, if possible. Having planned the amount of sleep, break the flight down into blocks of 2-3 hours. You can guess that you will eat in the second hour and then you can plan a film, read, do puzzles, listen to music (or whatever amuses you) in blocks of two hours.

Of course, if you can't sleep and you can't sit down and relax, it's a lot tougher. The advice about avoiding young children is a good one. Try to book a seat that is away from the front of each block of seats. The check-in staff will usually know where there aren't young children, so ask.

Funnily enough, I am heading back to the UK tonight from Vietnam.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Errrr....i think you missed the tone of this thread TMA!

Blag a second hand iron lung - two seats guaranteed and loads of sympathy alcohol en route.
    Trust me - a mate did it back from Thailand and nearly drowned in sympathy champagne.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ear plugs. Neck pillow. Blanket. Eye mask. Valium. See you tomorrow.
  • Options
    Don't make the mistake I did last week and get lashed in The Venue until 5AM. Flew to Boston next day feeling like I had been turned inside out.
  • Options

Not at all, A-R-T, I thought I would try and steer into the sensible world for once in my life!
  • Options

Lots of booze.

+1...

Get plastered
  • Options
    Enjoy it while you can. Once you have children you will know the meaning of long haul!!!
  • Options

Travelling to Houston, TX from Heathrow tomorrow afternoon. Anything you've found that help the long journey go a bit quicker?

I assume you are referring to the M25 when you say "long journey"?

But seriously, while too late for this trip, my tips would be don't use an american airline, they are rubbish and stay overnight at a LHR hotel before the flight so you don't have all the "am I actually going to get there in time" stress.
  • Options

Not at all, A-R-T, I thought I would try and steer into the sensible world for once in my life!
    Schoolboy error TMA!
    Hope your flight was a good one though.
  • Options
    Forgot to say: seatguru.com/ is really helpful for finding out which seats to avoid on which flights because they are too near the galley or the bog or have some other issue.
  • Options
    My best tip for drinking on a plane is to always have the wine. Beer and spirits are a rip-off, but with wine you usually get a reasonable sized drink.
  • Options
    Getting smashed on/before a 2hr flight to Majorca is a good idea, getting ruined on a 10hr flight to the States is a very, very bad idea - no matter how much fun it sounds.