Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bobby Moore & CAFC

In his biography (The Man in Full) of the great Bobby Moore, Matt Dickinson writes that as an 11/12 year old in the early 1950s, Moore would cycle from his Barking home, cross the Thames on the Woolwich ferry and go on to watch Charlton play at the Valley, CAFC was the nearest First Division club (in old money) to his home and West Ham were in the Second Division in those days. The question is : did the Charlton scouts miss the chance to sign up a youngster who went on to become a true football superstar ?, but of course in those days, signing boys as young as 11 just was not done, apprentices usually joined clubs at 15 or 16 years old.

Also, given that one of Moore's baptismal names was Chelsea (Yes, I found it hard to believe as well) and, given that the area where Moore lived was also home to near contemporaries Terry Venables, Jimmy Greaves and much later on John Terry, did Chelsea also miss out ?. Dickinson does not mention any particular Chelsea F.C. affiliation on the part of Moore's parents, although there was often a desire for, a dream of life 'Up West' among many East Enders of that era.

Generally the book is a good, very interesting, if sometimes a bleak as well as inspiring read. Moore was a rather secretive man whose friends and relatives even to this day are reluctant to divulge little of what they knew about his foibles and dalliances.

Comments

• Options
    So what you're saying is........Bobby Moore was a secret Charlton fan.......
  • Options

Does this mean we can take credit for him like West Ham do with Billy Bonds and Jermaine Defoe..and eventually, Diego Poyet?

I was wondering if it meant we could now take credit for winning the World Cup !
  • Options
    I don't know who was CAFC's defensive genius back in the late 40s/early 50s .. but if he was a big influence on young Bob, then we were instrumental in winning the World Cup in '66 .. ((:>) .. along with Big Bob's dad, Martin Peters
  • Options
    I don't think people would like to hear the other side of Bobby Moore. He was a national icon who was not welcome in many places because of the company he kept.
  • Options
    Didn't he own a few pubs and clubs that mysteriously burnt down?
  • Options

@masicat care to elaborate
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    iaitch said:

Didn't he own a few pubs and clubs that mysteriously burnt down?

The book goes into these incidents .. not much detail as no-one either knows or is prepared to elaborate .. Dickinson suspects/concludes arson as 'revenge' or jealousy against Moore or his associates rather than insurance scams was the reason behind the fires .. as Masicat says, Moore got into some pretty dubious company in his later years .. remember he died at just 51 years of age
    ADD: He and an associate owned the infamous 'Blind Beggar' in Whitechapel for a while amongst several other pubs & clubs .. Moore and his entourage drank most of the profits it seems
  • Options
    The Chelsea bit of his name was nothing to with the fc, a relative had the name
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So when he lifted the World cup he was lifting it for the addicks nice one Mooro!
  • Options

So when he lifted the World cup he was lifting it for the addicks nice one Mooro!

When he lifted the bracket in Mexico, he did for the spanners.
  • Options
    I was told he was refused membership to Chigwell Golf Club and shortly after the Clubhouse burnt down. That may or may not be true, but the source was pretty reliable.
    It may of course be a coincidence.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    masicat said:

I was told he was refused membership to Chigwell Golf Club and shortly after the Clubhouse burnt down. That may or may not be true, but the source was pretty reliable.
    It may of course be a coincidence.

Ronnie O'Sullivan's house backs onto that golf course, just saying like.
  • Options
    Well, I might claim to be the Addick who "knows" Booby Moore better than any other...

When Mr F first came a' courting back in 1968, my Dad's first words on meeting him were " Blimey! It's Bobby Moore!"

Back in the day, there was a strong resemblance, believe it or not.
  • Options
    going back to the original article I think the poster misses the point. Moore came to WATCH us play, not the other way round. Scouts cant "miss" a talent if all he is doing is standing on the terraces watching a game...........unless he showed off his skills on the pitch at half time.

time to call a halt on a another thread
  • Options
    @ken from Bexley .. where did you find that !? .. it illustrates a point made in the book that Moore was always VERY fashion conscious and always keen to make a few quid outside of football, what was in those days not a particularly well paid profession
  • Options

@ken from Bexley .. where did you find that !? .. it illustrates a point made in the book that Moore was always VERY fashion conscious and always keen to make a few quid outside of football, what was in those days not a particularly well paid profession

On the web..... It is a getty image copyright. I saw it previously when I had an account. If you type in Bobby Moore and Eddie Firmani a couple of interesting things come up besides this photo in google.
  • Options
    More from 'Moore'..... excuse the pun!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Third pic... they dont make teeth like that anymore..

Good pics. I do like the first one.
  • Options
    Love that first pic - Rodney Marsh, Kenny Lynch, Frank Lampard, Alan Ball, George Best, Supermac and Mooro. Love the artex ceiling and the trappings of late 70s/early 80s England.
  • Options
    Picture 2, lovely shirt/tie combos, when will they be back in fashion?
  • Options
    Pic 3 .

That's me & Mr F !!
  • Options

Pic 3 .

That's me & Mr F !!

The caption reads....... And here with Kate Howard, who is modeling Norlyn Niknax tights that are “visually protective and take away the need for pants”.

I better not add anymore?
  • Options
    heard from an ancient hamster a year or so ago who saw bobby moore in the play in the flesh and apparently after 66 the upton park faithful suffered him more than anything. He'd go from doing something damn right brilliant and make a great tackle to making a calamitous error that would almost cost a goal quite regularly and had a bit of friction with the fans because of it.
  • Options

heard from an ancient hamster a year or so ago who saw bobby moore in the play in the flesh and apparently after 66 the upton park faithful suffered him more than anything. He'd go from doing something damn right brilliant and make a great tackle to making a calamitous error that would almost cost a goal quite regularly and had a bit of friction with the fans because of it.

Back to 'the book' .. it seems clear that for various reasons (read the book !!), Moore saved his best for 'big time games', i.e. playing for England. He had a VERY bad relationship with Ron Greenwood, mostly over (yes you guessed it) pahnds shillings and pence .. this was in the pre decimal era of course, after '71 it was just pahnds and pennies
  • Options

Interesting article about Moore here, particularly his post playing life

https://www.theguardian.com/observer/osm/story/0,,1541919,00.html