Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bratislava

Off there in a couple of weeks for a mates 40th. Anyone been?.

Comments

• Have you seen the film The Hostel?
  • Yes. Plenty of good bars but I couldn't name any of them. I recommend the horse racing on a Sunday afternoon if it's still in season, for a change from the city centre.
  • yes, 60 kilometres from where i love. Nice city centre
  • It's alright if you already have a reason to go, but wouldn't recommend it otherwise. As aa says, nice city centre, but its pretty small and thats about it. Slovak tottie can be pretty tasty, though.They are more showy than Czechs.
  • Lovely (small) old town with some really nice bars. The pussycat club was good too.
  • Nice place but pretty quiet compared to its great neighbours Prague, Vienna and Budapest. If you get the chance while you are in Slovakia get to the High Tatra mountains though - they are stunning.
  • Don't bother.
  • Don't bother.

This. Shit hole where it's far too hard to get drunk and the locals are weapons grade dickheads.

• edited September 2014
    Witnessed a car being set alight and 2 (gang) fights whilst there. Then came back home with pneumonia and was seriously ill for a month... In conclusion - don't do it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Red panda has it spot on. It seems that everyone there has a built in hatred of foreigners, especially Brits.
  • Witnessed a car being set alight and 2 (gang) fights whilst there. Then came back home with pneumonia and was seriously ill for a month... In conclusion - don't do it.

Bet you couldn't wait to get back.........
  • To be honest I don't know anyone who travels to Central Europe and visits only Bratislava. There are actually more beautiful cities in this part of Europe: Vienna, Budapest, Salzburg, Prague and also Cracow in Poland is a great city. Its just a question how mobile you will be...
  • Only going for 2 nights. The plan is beer, shooting, beer and a Slovan Bratislava game. From what people are saying it sounds good for a short stop. Keep your head down and you'll be fine. Pretty much the way any UK City operates at the weekend - minus the chance to fire Ak47s and Uzis!
  • When you cross the Slovak border from Austria you immediately feel that you're in a much poorer country. Bratislava is OK but there's a lot of soviet brutalist architecture and even the more picturesque areas feel run down.
  • I was in a Pub there called The Dubliner. Was quite good.

The Dubliner Irish pub
    Sedlárska 6
    811 01 Bratislava

But I rather recommend local restaurants.

Slovak beer is excellent (as are in my opinion most Czech and Polish beers). You can get great local beer in all places (Restaurants, etc.). Food is usually very good too (at least for my central European taste), its a bit on the heavy side (much meat plus side orders).

Crime there is a bit higher than in Vienna (even though Vienna is not a perfectly safe city either) but I did not notice local people hating foreigners. When I was there last, gypsies were quite a nuisance. Girls trying to sell me flowers and beggars. But the city centre is quite international with a lot of Viennese people spending a weekend (or simply a day shopping) there. You will not be the only foreigner.
  • Only going for 2 nights. The plan is beer, shooting, beer and a Slovan Bratislava game. From what people are saying it sounds good for a short stop. Keep your head down and you'll be fine. Pretty much the way any UK City operates at the weekend - minus the chance to fire Ak47s and Uzis!

Honestly, I don't know what the lads above were doing to get some aggro, but the level of random petty street violence in Prague is way lower than in the UK, and I have not heard that its any different in Bratislava. Maybe some large groups get noisy and then attract some trouble.

It is in fact very easy to get drunk in Bratislava. Czechs and Slovaks actually get drunk more than Brits, as the stats tell us. The difference is that they tend to just continue minding their own business. The only time I've ever had trouble in a Czech pub (after watching a Charlton game) involved some seriously nasty British bloke who was almost certainly one of our criminal exports. That's one reason why I like it here. Czech drunks either wind their way home in silence, concentrating on not ending up in the gutter, or sing in a group (but not provocative football songs). Women think nothing of taking the night tram home alone, and dish out fierce reprimands to any unwanted advances.

Bratislava is just a bit boring. The population is only 300k.